Dec 7-Dec 13 Check In Challenge Thread

Options

Replies

• TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love Good Eats and Alton Brown seems like an awesome dude. Plus, he's a gun guy!
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    I love Good Eats and Alton Brown seems like an awesome dude. Plus, he's a gun guy!

Well now I just became an even bigger fan of AB. :smiley:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Thursday!

I weighed in at Weight Watchers this morning... wasn't going to so I drank my morning water (24-32 oz) and wore my "heavy" clothes. Then on the drive to the center I realized I needed to weigh in for the accountability. I was up, but not sure how much of that was water/clothes and how much was from my overeating all week.

But it's a new week. Back to tracking, drinking water, and if I can muster up the energy... get some activity in!

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    He all, I'm here, and sore. I guess that's a good thing right?

Howie, good to hear from you!

Everyone else keep up the good work.
  • montana_girl
    Options
    howie6267 wrote: »
    Hi all, I didn't want you to think I was dead. lol A couple things have kept me away. First for a couple weeks my eating was horrible. I have probably put on maybe 10 lbs over the thanksgiving two week celebration. lol Second I hate the forums here they need to add the simple features that all other forums have, such as email notification. Third I really need to have some people that are like minded around. For example have over 100 lbs to lose, count calories ect... So for that reason I have been going back over to 3 fat chicks forums which is where I was the first time I lost all this weight. Even though I have not kept up on my diary until the last 2 days I have been watching things and am back on track. So that being said I probably won't be on here much. I enjoy talking with you all but with the differences in diets I just need a better fit.

Sorry not to have you around more regularly Howie. I hate that we've gotten so much about carbs. I wish we had more guests that were of different beliefs. I'll work on that. I have just this week gone back to watching my calories. I'm tired of not worrying about it... I need to shake Things up. Hope you'll check in regularly. We hope to be mostly about motivation & you're an asset to us all in that dept!

I need to get back to counting calories as well. I like the Paleo eating (with my occasional carbs), but I have gained A LOT of weight since trying to eat Paleo and NOT count calories. Going to try both and see where it gets me. I hate being obsessive about counting calories (and balancing the calories in/calories out) but that is what got the weight off and kept it off for three years. I totally changed the way I eat and gained nearly 20 pounds. So obviously that is not working for me...
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Thanks for the kind words all, and I will still be in and out maybe just not as regular as I was. I just wanted to let you know what I was doing is all.

TJ I also really like Alton however I have been discouraged by his being a hater of fat people who have made him the success he is, it's a little two faced. I agree with some of what he said just not the way he says it and thinks about the people themselves. He should know better after having to lose weight himself as to how hard it can be and to have a little more compassion. Here is the quote I am talking about.

”I've struggled with weight all my life, and probably always will. But I was on my most recent book tour I was shocked by the number of overweight families,” he says. “People would come up to me and say, ‘Oh, we love the Food Network.’ Well, no (expletive); did you eat the TV? There’s only four of you and you can’t ride in an elevator together. I’ll probably make fat people angry, but we need, as a culture, to be ashamed. It’s not “… healthy.”
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow, Howie. I didn't know about that. It's been a while since I've even seen anything he's on, though. That's an incredibly rude way to put it. If that was on his show, you'd think some network folks would have modified the script a little. The way to convince someone to change is not to insult their lifestyle. That just makes most people dig in harder and stand their ground. It would have been much better to say something like he was shocked at the amount of overweight fans and that he would like to help his fans to live a better, healthier life.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The Bay Area...

2fmtx913wf32.jpg
    1khk3k5dungw.jpg
    i63ooauxzr26.jpg
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Is that happening where you are Heronh?

TJ I think it was from an interview he was doing but still a lousy way to be and say something like that.
  • montana_girl
    Options
    Oh wow... that is a lot of water for CA! Hope all is well with you, Heronh!!

Howie - So glad you are checking in with us... we were starting to worry about you! I completely understand the need to be with a group of like minded people that you click with. That's probably why I *still* go to Weight Watchers after 10 years! LOL
  • heronh
    Options
    John, Sending good thoughts to your friend
    Kim you are doing awesome while traveling! Yes mobility is very important, it prevent injuries. ;)

Chris, you have inspired me, you are tackling something that is hard to you. So I am going to doing more flutter kicks regularly. Keep up with the swimming!

As for the Alton Brown comment, that was rude and insensitive of him to say. I'm not speaking up for him or taking his side, But I've heard similar comment from people who were heavy and are at their goal weight now.

Howie, in my immediate area there is no flooding, those pictures are from surrounding area. California has been in a drought for so long and we really need the rain. But this is a bad one. Schools are close, cable car is not running, flooding everywhere, ferries are not in service as there are 25foot waves. We are not at high tide yet and the sea water is coming over the sea wall. a couple of subway station are flooded, power outages all over due to high winds. Trees are falling down on houses and cars. In fact firemen are working right now to free a teenager that is trapped under a felled tree. If the rain continues there will be mudslides in certain areas. All the low lying counties has been handing sand bags for the past couple of days. Oh and in the sierras they are reporting 135MPH winds.
    To top it off sinkholes are opening up in San Francisco. Because somebody from back in the day thought it was a good idea to build roads on sand... Oy

One of our skylight has a leak.. :( The roofer sent someone over to band aid it. We'll have to wait for the rain to stop to figure out the damage.
  • heronh
    Options
    On a happy note, Arturo and I went to his work related dinner at a fancy steakhouse. Everything was so good, we decided to have fun, let loose a little. The bread was amazing, my goodness I forgot how much I enjoy a good warm bread. But overall it wasn't that bad. We had some bread, some nice fine wine, good steak and one of the best creme brulee I've eaten. Creme Brulee is one of those dessert that many restaurant make but only a few can do it right. Its suppose to be creamy not custardy. Arturo had the chocolate sundae that has small batch sea salt chocolate chip ice cream, house made chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I've had sundae but that was some special sundae. Daaamn!
    I had a great time, as usual Arturo's colleagues are so nice to me. And everybody visited our "kids" + a foster since they are in the car. They were all very impressed at how calm they were :) We are very proud of our well behaved kids and foster :wink:
    The dogs love the car. We set it up so that they are very comfortable in the car, in fact a lot of time our younger dog Rosie and our foster don't want to leave the car LOL we had to drag them out while they play dead out of the car. Oh dogs...
  • heronh
    Options
    For those who want to try making mayonnaise. Here's the video. Its so simple!! From start to clean up it took me 5minutes!!
    I add 1 TBSP of vinegar (apple cider, white wine sherry etc) in addition to the lemon so that my mayo keep longer and I like the tartness of it, since we use that mayo primary for salad dressing. If I need to make something else I'll cut out the vinegar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o
  • kilosierra83
    Options
    Doctors appointment today for the wife... Baby #7 due in July!
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, last night's dinner was awesome. I had five palm sized slices of bread soaked in olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I tore off the crust off each slice and made a "sponge" out of the bread). We tasted several wines, I'm not a wine drinker so altogether I had maybe 1 glass. My main was an 18 oz. bone in NY steak with a side of creamed spinach and just a bit of broccoli and carrot slices. However, I would say the only real indulgence was the ice cream sundae I had for dessert >:)

So today we're doing to try to do a fat fast to minimize any potential damage (though any real damage is unlikely, will probably just have some water retention for a couple of days).
  • kilosierra83
    Options
    Dinner was excellent.... Eating healthy does not mean eating poorly. c8siwdrh5xw2.jpg
  • kc9ljo
    kc9ljo Posts: 19
    Options
    Can't remember if I checked in today or not. Anyway I'm wearing a pair of pants I have not been able to wear in awhile!
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Howie ... so you think "fat people" are mainly responsible for Alton Brown's success? If that is true, then they can certainly make their displeasure known by not watching his shows or not buying anything he promotes. Thus he will reap what he sows.

I don't know what the best tact to take in such circumstances is. Certainly we should not sugar coat the fact that obesity can be a major health problem. So I don't think celebrity chefs should avoid the elephant in the room. However, I'm not saying Alton Brown's comments were the most appropriate either. I do know that many people are in denial as to the state of their health, or choose to continuing managing it (less face it, that's usually easier) rather than correcting the problem until faced with dire circumstances ... like their own mortality. An intervention is seldom pleasant. If you don't feel "bad" in some way about how you look, feel, or perform ... what reason do you have to change?
  • 25mcaro
    Options
    Feeling accomplished. Haven't done a row of monkey bars in couple of months and i felt strong doing them today.

Good morning everyone! Christmas parties are now behind me for at least a week. Whew! Won't pretend I did well, but today is a new day. Working on "guns" this morning (gotta get ready for that bakery war!). Walking the dog this morning I listened to the Body Do-over podcast. If you haven't listened, it is generally worth it. They just did their 50th episode. Basically a 45 year old guy who decided to make weight loss permanent. He and his trainer are pretty sane, and his process was realistic. Carol - they would make great guests on Fat2FitHQ!
    We need more sanity.

• 25mcaro
    Options
    I survived the bakery! Those pastries didn't stand a chance.. I felt like Rambo! Thanks John!! Made the whole experience funny.

Glad you did. Wish I could survive my own kitchen bakery