Sugar cravings

Options
cwrldpc
cwrldpc Posts: 20 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
I have recently overhauled my diet and I have been eating fruits, vegetables,non gluten grains, legumes, a few different fats, and very select meat, fish, or poultry. I love that I can eat until I am full and at the end of the day, it turns out I have eaten half the calories I did before, without even trying.
The one thing I am having trouble with is sugar cravings. I used to be a big crap eater. I snacked all the time because I was never satisfied. I am okay with not eating all the crap, but every once in a while a sugar craving hits and I feel like if I indulge in it I will end up eating the whole box of treats. (I always used to).
Do the sugar cravings ever stop? I'm not sure I have the willpower to just hold out forever.

Replies

• Xblessed17X
    Options
    I agree with cwrldpc! I feel like sugar cravings strike me all the time. Is there any advice on substitutions I could make so I can indulge my sweet tooth without consuming too much?
  • Pearowl
    Pearowl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think like any other addictive substance, you have to expect some sort of withdrawal from processed foods. Your body needs to adjust to the different levels of sugar, carbs, nutrients as you begin to eat more naturally. There are plenty of good substitutes for junk foods- things like kale chips, or flaxseed crackers. You can make homemade mayonnaise using silken tofu and a food processor, or just replace it with ripe avocado.

Eating a balanced diet of protein, carb, and fat is important too, and will affect your cravings. Eating upwards of 30-40 grams of fiber a day (high fiber oats, chia seeds, oat brand, that kind of stuff) will keep you satisfied longer, and can be just as tasty as an empty-calorie snack that leaves you hungry ten minutes later. Self control is also integral; unfortunately you're going to have cravings and its ultimately up to you to have one piece of chocolate and no the entire package! Personally, I don't buy crackers at all because I will eat them in one sitting. That isn't to say that, once in a while, if you go overboard that you're a failure- not at all! Just make sure that you stay disciplined and give yourself a nice treat once in a while. Some people write down everything they consume every in order to keep things straight.

Good luck to you all!
  • qxana1969
    qxana1969 Posts: 9,330 Member
    Options
    I love these little gems.....they satisfy my sugar tooth, although honestly, I rarely get the sugar craving anymore - salt....that has become my weakness.

http://detoxinista.com/2013/09/date-energy-balls-vegan-paleo/

Best of luck!!