Fast days and exercise calories

Options
flissy5
flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
I'm pretty new to 5:2, actually enjoying it so far. Fast days are great and the day after I feel awesome!

So, my Q. I was wondering if the 500 calories on a fast day was fixed or net - i.e. should I eat back exercise calories?? I tried searching for this and couldn't find an answer.

Any info gratefully received.

Replies

• Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love 5:2 - today is my 33rd fast. I did 5:2 last year for a few months, but got away from it... Anyway, to answer your question, you do not eat back your exercise calories on a fast day. Good luck to you - this is a great WOL (way of life) - and remember to drink LOTS of water on your fast days. It helps with the hunger pangs and also to keep you hydrated so you don't get a headache.
  • flissy5
    Options
    Thanks Karen_DisneyFan. I have dabbled with 5:2 in the past and I always drink about 70 ounces of water (2 litres), and peppermint tea, and haven't suffered headaches yet. I'll go to the gym tonight (weights tonight) and see what happens!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    500 and that's it!! No eating back exercise calories on a fast day.

You will find fasted exercise gets easier and easier. I've gone from wobbly and dizzy after moderate exercise on a fast day to exercise feeling exactly the same fasted or fed.
    I can now do really hard cardio or weights sessions on a fast day with no problem at all and still perform at my peak.
  • flissy5
    Options
    Thats Sijomial. Today is a fast day and I did a pretty intense (for me) lower body weights session at lunch time and I think I've had around 550 today - but that's it now! I felt good whilst working out which is reassuring.