Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

So When Do You Use a Lifting Belt?

CHSegl
CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
At what weights on squats and deadlifts are the ladies strapping up? Not sure I'm even close, but I am curious to know when to add that support.

Replies

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    When you're testing higher weights, usually above 90% of your 1RM. Use it for support when you need it, not as a crutch. :)
  • I started using a belt when I began squatting and deadlifting my body weight. I now only use it for my working sets, which are heavier than my body weight.
    I would say if it helps you mentally to get the weight up, use it. But, I agree with Fujiberry, don't let it become a crutch.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks- deads are over my BW; squats aren't quite there yet (tore my hamstring in June...:P)
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2014
    this is a really good article debunking the "crutch" idea of a weightlifting belt. it helps increase IAP, but all muscles still activate.

http://gregnuckols.com/2013/12/04/should-you-wear-a-belt-or-not-study-write-up/

i use the belt in squats starting at about 70% of my 1RM.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I use it 85% and above. My weightlifting coaches prefer I don't use it for lower percentages on front and back squats.