The Transition

Options
I wanted to know if anyone could give advice on how you transitioned into clean eating. It's been difficult for me because I'm so used to eating processed food, it's hard to imagine what life will be like without it. Any ideas/stories/suggestions would be great!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For most people small changes are easier to maintain long term, so just start replacing some processed foods each week and continue until you have achieved a level of clean eating that meets your goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have no idea if I qualify as "clean", but I do eat a whole foods based, mostly plant based diet. Low crap, as I like to call it.
    I started by incorporating principles from the mediterranean diet. And then the south beach diet (for the sugar parts). Both resonated with me to an extent. I was raised on twinkies and was eating fast food for many if not most meals when I began my journey. I thought of vegetables (except the few I liked) as ho hum, and largely unnecessary. Back then.
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started by cutting out soda. That was my big hurdle. Soda free for over a month, then I planned my meal plan to a "T", then implemented it.
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with cancer almost three years ago. It was an eye opener to our health and all the processed food we ate. We started changing what we ate, but didn't do it the quickest. After eating about 80% processed free for about a year I am even more convinced after watching food documentaries and then trying The Fast Track One Day Detox of eating more organic and 98% no proccesed food.

During the detox, I lost 6.6 pounds in 10 days just by eating food which reminded me of paleo diet and eliminating some food too. I ate just recommended foods for seven days and was full each day. Then did a homemade recipe for juice fast one day and three more days of eating like I first did, but then adding probiotics. It was amazing and I am know convinced to eat that way all the time! My husband is now cancer free and wanting to try the detox after seeing the big results I had!

Trying eating this way and doing the detox and see if you lose weight too! The best result is how you feel! I am surprised at all the ways they try to alter and all the chemicals they use on our food. When our body can't process it, it likes to cling to our fat cells!

You need to feel better!
  • Jerilang
    Jerilang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Without a plan clean eating could be difficult. I made a grocery list of all the foods I enjoy, and since we have an organic grocery store here in southern Oregon, I filled the cart with veggies, fruits, organic everything else, brown rice, quinoa, 5 seed bread. In a 'regular' grocery store I would only buy from the outer aisles of the store. Everything else 'within' is filled with unnatural ingredients. My best advice on how to start, just start. Make sure the refrigerator is filled with fresh organic food. If you buy the processed foods and they are in the kitchen, you are going to eat them.
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For most people small changes are easier to maintain long term, so just start replacing some processed foods each week and continue until you have achieved a level of clean eating that meets your goal.

Agreed. I tell people to start replacing the items you eat most with a healthier, less processed version. Slow and steady wins the race!

We started eating clean-ish about 3 years ago after moving from NJ to NC. With such a great variety of farms, we started visiting our local farmer's market and joined a few CSAs ( community supported agriculture). These days we're all about eating cleaner, but also eating local sourced foods.

Best of luck!

• TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is just stop buying processed foods. You will still have some in your home for a while, but each time you run out of something just buy a clean replacement.
  • Chelsea_O
    Chelsea_O Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realise I was clean eating until I had been doing it unintentionally for months. I was mainly focused on calorie content which led me to quit the fast food. I educated myself on all the chemicals, hormones, and other unsavory ingredients in processed food which made it easier to give up packaged chips/cookies/etc. Buy fruits and vegetables and refuse to let them go bad. I think of the money I waste when my lettuce goes bad bc I didn't go through it fast enough.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I replaced stuff as I ran out. It's been slow, but much more affordable than buying all new everything at once.
  • kristenErck
    kristenErck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 lbs by clean eating I started giving up small things like salty snacks cheese tortillas and tortilla chips with melted cheese was my fav and pop by the dozens all day long was making me sick so I took it out completely... Then started portion sizing myself which made the first 80 lbs go by super fast then I got employed by LA weightloss as the new center manager and learned about so much more Clean eating never felt better in my life!! Now a year later I have gained 40 lbs back due to illness and a car accident so I started again... In 17 days I lost 20 lbs with clean eating because I count calories and eat more protein and less carbs... So 20 more to go and I will feel MUCH better I just need tips on what to bring for 5 days out of town working with no car just a shuttle to take my consumer skiing... I will not have much choice so if any of you have ideas on what recipes I could bring to my vacation that I could possibly pack that would be awesome!! Thanks ;)
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat clean. Now that I'm pregnant i'm more lenient because I get super weird cravings for stuff I normally wouldn't even want lol. But before, I was drinking tons of soda every single day and all processed foods. Now I cook using all organic ingredients... Organic coffee, milk, etc. But I didn't swap everything in my house for the organic alternative overnight. It was a process that took about a month or so. Now the only time I don't eat organic is when I go out to eat with friends or family or whatever or if I go to someones house. but everything i cook myself, I cook with organic ingredients from scratch.

It was an easier transition for me because it was swapping a few things at a time rather than doing everything at once. Good luck!!!