Weight lifting gloves

sing809
sing809 Posts: 54 Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for weight lifting gloves, or is it better to embrace the calluses that I am getting? I did deadlifts and pull-ups today and my calluses are getting pretty roughed up now that the weight is getting heavier.

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    I found gloves more of a hindrance than a help - I'm embracing my roughed up hands :-)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    gloves, especially if not a perfect fit, actually seem to make my grip worse. I embrace the callouses as well.

However they do have those rubber pad things that you can use, I got a pair for free and got to try them out. They don't slip like gloves, but they feel uncomfortable and awkward to me. Probably because they were man-sized pads and I have teeny tiny hands tho xD
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I embrace the calluses. They kind of suck because my hands aren't as soft and smooth as they used to be, but I'd rather have calluses and muscles anyways :wink:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I have leather Ocelot gloves that a trainer-friend gave to me years ago. I like them. The leather doesn't slip. I tried to go without gloves but I feel like my hands would slip more. I'm a little vain about my hands :-D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i like my calluses. love shaking hands with all these men at whatever new work site i'm on, and knowing my grip is as macho as theirs.

i think if i were to try gloves, i might experiment with the good ol' standby of batting gloves. i kept buying them for my son because i got tired of seeing him standing around on second base shaking the sting out of his hands, and he never wore them. so i'd use them for biking when i wanted some shock absorption. and ballplayers probably need 'grip' just as much as a weightlifter does, so they might transfer well.

they're not that expensive and i like experimenting, so personally i wouldn't grudge the money if they didn't turn out to be right.
  • I embrace them and shave them off when they start to flake. Been lifting for most of this year and I don't have gross hands. Chalk or the liquid kind helps your grip and reduces calluses. I use it for rows when they get heavy for me and deadlifts. When using a mixed grip for deadlifts, I don't hurt my hands nearly as much. Gloves didn't work for me and hindered my grip. They also inhibited the strengthening of my grip.
  • My trainer friend really pushed me to get gloves and I think I wore them twice. I don't like the "disconnected from the bar" feeling they gave me. I use chalk at the gym, and then use a pumice stone / file in the shower.
  • Sumiblue
    Hmm, I just thought of another reason that I really like gloves. I have pretty bad Raynaud's Syndrome and just touching cool/cold surface can set my capillaries off to spasm. Touching a cold metal bar is really uncomfortable for me. Even though the gym has heat and the bar isn't freezing it is cold enough to make me miserable.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I have leather Ocelot gloves that a trainer-friend gave to me years ago. I like them. The leather doesn't slip. I tried to go without gloves but I feel like my hands would slip more. I'm a little vain about my hands :-D

I have Nike gloves that I love - I think they're fake leather but agree they don't slip. I wear gloves for everything but Deadlifts and Olympic Lifts.

• Sumiblue
    ^^^ @Leadfoot_Lewis-bicep twinsies!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    ^^^ @Leadfoot_Lewis-bicep twinsies!
    :)

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    I got some cheapies "golds gym" for women gloves and they seem to work ok. I use them for everything but squats. I tried liquid chalk but it didn't work well for me and we are discouraged from using real chalk (although I see people do it)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I don't wear gloves, since I feel they make my grip worse. I do have small hands, though. I have calluses and should probably start taking care of them better lol. I have a bad habit of peeling the skin off of them :/ I lift at home, so I use chalk to help keep the bar more grippy.