How am I supposed to feel?

Options
tlogesi
tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
I haven't commented on too many of the discussions, but I have been reading them daily for several months. I'm so thankful for this community and the people that are willing to help out others who are considering this journey. I'd start naming them but I know I would miss too many, so if you are reading this I'm going to say thanks to you.

I had my RNY on Thursday Dec. 11 2014, the Doc said everything went good, he said he could tell by looking at my liver that I had followed the pre-op diet well. So far the Pre-op diet was the toughest thing about the process. I still have some pain at the incision points (6 of them), and some pain a little deeper on the right side, but I have liquid meds that are pretty good at keeping that pain tolerable.

My question is this "How am I supposed to feel?" Because I feel great! I'm not really that hungry but sticking to the clear liquids for a few more days until I can see my surgeon again. I have had no nausea, no real hunger, no trouble walking (I took a short stroll as soon as I was taken to my room, and have been walking regularly since).

I even asked my surgeons assistant when she checked on me if they did anything besides make those (6) small cuts on my stomach, because besides that, my stomach does not feel any different. She assured me that I did get the RNY, she was a witness.

I suppose that as my diet progresses, I will begin to notice the difference in the amount I can eat, but that will be several weeks away.

Thanks to everyone who participates in these groups, and thanks to all of you who have been a great example, both physically and mentally. I think that is why things went so well for me.

Mark

Replies

• Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    that is wonderful. I just went to all my preop nutrition classes and they said that you will not fill hunger and that anymore that it will be feeling less and you would need to schedule an stay on schedule to make sure you drank and ate when able. What do you feel about the preop was the hardest?? two full weeks of it? compliance? or ????? just curious it is at the top of my mind and them changing my whole diet now before that two week preop is weird to me but I am sure I will adjust
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You will feel it as soon as you start taking in mushy food. Going in having lost some weight and being more active really helps in the immediate post-op phase (I believe from my experience and reading about others.) Sound like you prepared well. Welcome to the other side!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I felt great post op and felt good when I came home. The only post op problem I had was that it turns out I'm allergic to the acid inhibitor my surgeon prescribed and I broke out in hives from it. I'll be 3 years post op in March. Follow the plan, do what your Dr. says and you'll be fine. I've lost 180lbs (I'd like to drop 40 more) and I ran a 1/2 marathon last month.
  • tlogesi
    Options
    " What do you feel about the preop was the hardest?? two full weeks of it? compliance? or ????? just curious it is at the top of my mind and them changing my whole diet now before that two week preop is weird to me but I am sure I will adjust "

Lauralac,

My pre-op was not even an all liquid diet, I was able to have fat free cottage cheese and ham (only a little) It was difficult, but keeping the big picture in mind it was not that hard.
  • tlogesi
    Options
    rpyle111 and Dannadl,

Thanks for your words of wisdom, I have a lot of time ahead of me, helping me to use this tool I have received.

thanks again,
    Mark.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling that way early out; like, "did they even do anything while I was in the hospital?" Like someone mentioned above, once you transition to more solid food (and your stomach really heals) you will notice the difference.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The pre-op diet, by far, was the hardest part for me. After surgery it was just the slow drinking and having tons of protein shakes. I did have hunger, but I still eat much less. I am 10 months out now. The only complications I have had is not getting enough fiber in. Never been sick or vomited. I will take it.
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels different after surgery. I didn't feel hunger at all for the first few weeks, I had no problem living on protein shakes and a little soup. Of course it took me almost an hour to drink each shake and at least a half hour to "eat" a couple ounces of soup lol
    I didn't really start to feel hunger until I was off the liquid/soft food part of the diet. Though now when I do feel it it's a much different hunger than it was before. Now I feel true hunger which I find to be a good sign. I still have moments of "boredom hunger" but it is much easier to get past that now than before surgery.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree, everyone is different. I had the sleeve. My preop plan was liquids breakfast and lunch with an entree dinner (all food from the surgeon's office) for one week, full liquids the second week and then surgery. Everything was so high protein I really didn't have an issue (which really surprised me). Postop was tough as I'm more of a savory person, so the shakes were just too sweet for a long time. At 3.5 years out and 164 pounds down, I'm looking to lose at least another 25-30 and it's very slow now. Still the best thing I have ever done for myself despite the frustration of losing very slowly and sporadicly now.