Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Christmas Blues...

KetoGirl83
KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
I love Christmas. Or is it I loved Christmas?

This year I have not even put up decorations yet. I'm dreading the family gatherings that I so enjoy and the children's disappointment at not finding their usual bottomless treats. And I'm feeling more than a bit sorry for myself, for all the food that I love and can't eat.

So I'm asking for some help here. Do you know any recipes of really yummy food that will not throw away the last 3 months effort? Chocolate, fruit and bread are what I keep wanting to eat.

3 months on lchf and I still can't look forward to yet another dish of dead fatty stuff. Thank goodness I no longer feel hungry all the time but I've also lost the pleasure of eating. My mind (and lab results) tell me this food is good for my body. Sadly, my heart and soul are far from agreeing.

Sorry for the whining, I'm just feeling low and sharing helps.

Thank you all for being there and proving that this can be done.
::flowerforyou::

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    I found these. They look yummy, but this is my first Keto Christmas, too so I don't know how they taste but at least they are options.

http://www.fitlivingfoodies.com/recipe-archive/butter-cookies-cream-cheese-frosting/

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/06/coconut-chocolate-chip-cookies-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
    I'd search this site more. Looks like it has some good things.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/1sh3xj/christmas_chocolate_almond_cookies/
    Don't those look good! I'm probably going to make those.
    Look around on r/ketorecipes too. You can search it for all kinds of foods. I'm probably making some candied pecans as well. NOM NOM NOM.

Search those sites above for your breads, too.

See now. That's better. Hopefully there are others here who have tried-and-true recipes they can give you, so there's no worries on whether or not they'll turn out.

Hang in there. :heart:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,736 Member
    I plan to make treats, just not eat them. Fortunately, I truly love eating all that "dead fatty stuff", plus veggies/nuts and fatty stuff that isn't from dead animals. I went to my husband's Christmas party last night and had no trouble avoiding the carby deserts, etc
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Check out Pinterest...I've found tons of great Keto friendly recipes on there. Also, the KetoDiet blog has tons of helpful recipes and info. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you!
  • KetoGirl83
    Thank you all, sorry for the whining. I'll go check the links. :)
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    edited December 2014
    I can do without the sweets as I've never craved sweets even pre-keto. My big thing around the holidays is finger foods like sausage balls and savory pastries. I found a great Keto-friendly sausage ball recipe if anyone is interested! Taken from paperpotion.com/?p=667

1 pound breakfast sausage (mild or hot – your choice)
    1 pound ground beef or turkey
    3 eggs
    1 12 oz. bag sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
    1 bag unflavored (plain) pork rinds – finely crushed
    1 small onion – minced (or 3 Tbsp dried minced onion)
    1/2 Tbsp salt-free seasoning (Mrs. Dash original is my fave)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients well, until everything is incorporated. Hand roll 1″ balls (or use a mellon baller!) of mixture and place balls on well greased cookie sheet, leaving at least 1″ between each ball. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese begins to melt out of balls. You can also broil the balls for a couple of minutes to brown them on top!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Eggnog! And none of these "low fat" abominations!

http://www.intoxicatedonlife.com/2012/12/21/low-carb-eggnog/ :smiley:
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    edited December 2014
    Also-I can also get burned out on eating huge hunks of fatty meat which is why I have a Pinterest board for Low Carb recipes. If I have a ton of quick and easy recipes handy, it's easier for me to switch it up. Since keto focuses more on high fat rather than high protein, I find myself making low carb veggies with butter, cheese and cream sauces sometimes. There are tons of great recipes out there!

*Edit because spelling. :/
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited December 2014
    I second the vote for the site http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/.

Also check out our http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/.

Both have tasty, low carb desserts.

And for encouragement, YMMV, but maybe your tastebuds have changed, I've found mine have. After a few bites of some typical sweet dessert, cake, pie, cookies, I find it too sweet, and the sugar is distractingly cloying. Discovered this when I was trying to have a splurge at a bakery I used to frequent, keto be damned, it was a lousy day. Got their lovely pastry, and after 3 bites... Ick. Kinda hurt my feelings at first.

What I want are the memories and comfort, like making holiday spritz cookies with my mama when I was tiny. Then again, mama quit making spritz cookies years ago! It's just food, you can and will come up with brand new traditions that support a healthier you, that are just as valid, memorable, and beautiful.

And you know, holiday decorating kinda sneaks up on you. I unpacked one box with the door wreath on Saturday, next thing you know, I'm stringing lights, hanging what have you, and I pulled out the holiday pjs. It's on, I got my elf on.

Feel better! Sending elfy wishes your way.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    This is my first keto Christmas. My kids and I made several dozen cookies. These are cookies that have been a tradition in my family for a lot of years. I ate a cookie yesterday and the day before. I'm not big on sweets, but I think it's the tradition that's pulling me towards the dark side.

I hope I can get through this month without gaining...
  • GidgetWannaBe
    GidgetWannaBe Posts: 20 Member
    Been putting these trays out next to the sugar cookies at parties to stay on the wagon:imgur.com/H3USIIV
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Been putting these trays out next to the sugar cookies at parties to stay on the wagon:imgur.com/H3USIIV

That is a great idea GidgetWannaBe. I have been trying to figure out what to bring to our family Christmas. Something like that will be different enough that I bet it will be popular.
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    truelove7 wrote: »
    I can do without the sweets as I've never craved sweets even pre-keto. My big thing around the holidays is finger foods like sausage balls and savory pastries. I found a great Keto-friendly sausage ball recipe if anyone is interested! Taken from paperpotion.com/?p=667

Good idea too, truelove7, thanks.
  • KetoGirl83
    So many great ideas! Thank you!

I think I've had a bad case of psychological keto flu, I missed how carbs used to make me feel, regardless of how bad they were for me. I just wanted everything as it was before I got diabetic and was near giving up -and hating myself for it. Then two days ago I found a dark 85% chocolate with stevia. I had two squares. It was the first sweet I had in 3 months! Not only did it not impact my blood sugar as the whole season started to look much better. It gives me comfort to know that I have it at home and can have a bite if I want and it will not be the end of the world.

I have put up the decorations, bought (almost) all the gifts and we're planning a keto-friendly menu for the whole family. My husband will do the meats and I, my Mother and one of my sisters will be taking care of salads and sweets. My sister has found some flourless, sugarless chocolate cake recipe that she is excited to try and I'm looking around for recipes of finger food. I'm also looking for a good ice cream maker because I found a book with lots of keto friendly recipes. All is good again. :)

I wish everyone a very happy Christmas, with love, health and yummy good food.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

I think I've had a bad case of psychological keto flu, I missed how carbs used to make me feel, regardless of how bad they were for me. I just wanted everything as it was before I got diabetic and was near giving up -and hating myself for it. Then two days ago I found a dark 85% chocolate with stevia. I had two squares. It was the first sweet I had in 3 months! Not only did it not impact my blood sugar as the whole season started to look much better. It gives me comfort to know that I have it at home and can have a bite if I want and it will not be the end of the world.

I have put up the decorations, bought (almost) all the gifts and we're planning a keto-friendly menu for the whole family. My husband will do the meats and I, my Mother and one of my sisters will be taking care of salads and sweets. My sister has found some flourless, sugarless chocolate cake recipe that she is excited to try and I'm looking around for recipes of finger food. I'm also looking for a good ice cream maker because I found a book with lots of keto friendly recipes. All is good again. :)

Yay! :mrgreen:
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Truelove, you had me at pork rinds! I am so going to try to make those!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I dreamed of biting into hot, crusty bread slathered with butter. Not dream...nightmare! ugh
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Fantastic to hear you're feeling better. :)
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    truelove7 wrote: »
    Also-I can also get burned out on eating huge hunks of fatty meat which is why I have a Pinterest board for Low Carb recipes. If I have a ton of quick and easy recipes handy, it's easier for me to switch it up. Since keto focuses more on high fat rather than high protein, I find myself making low carb veggies with butter, cheese and cream sauces sometimes. There are tons of great recipes out there!

*Edit because spelling. :/

^^^ I second this! Just put "keto recipes" into the search on Pinterest and you'll come up with a ton of them. I even found one for coconut flour "sugar" cookies :)