Hashimoto's (AIP) Protocol

Options
cindytw
cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
OMG!! I looked up some info on this since I am pretty sure I have Hashimoto's, and WOW!! It is going to take me a LOT of weaning to get to that level of restriction!! Does anyone follow this strictly? HOW?

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I don't have an autoimmune issue (thank goodness) but it makes sense to eliminate the trigger foods. It's very restrictive, but if it'll improve your health, then go for it!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Many of us struggle with Hashi's my doctor has not actually said I have it but the labs indicate I do. I do not think I will be doing any strict AIP unless there is a way for it to be reversed and I do not think it does that. As a way to indicate your trigger foods many of the Whole30 style ways is IMO a better way to start off and you can find a lot of the triggers which also effect you in other ways too.

If you have Hypothyroidism then wheat is always going to be a trigger because gluten is very "bio-identical" with thyroid in our systems and once it is eliminated then your body tends to take all that immune defense and throw it at the thyroid and the hormones released by it.
  • cindytw
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I will never willingly eat gluten again, I am Celiac. I just am floored by the level of restriction on AIP! I probably "should" follow it to feel my best, but I am not sure it is worth giving up 90% of what I love to eat!
  • PJBisbee
    PJBisbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, I don't follow an AIP diet, but I've found a couple blogs that have wonderful recipes:

http://hewontknowitspaleo.com/#sthash.laDrXnkU.dpuf

http://aiplifestyle.com/

And this blog isn't AIP, but I think many of her recipes are/or can be AIP, and I love using the spiralizer - so much fun:

http://www.inspiralized.com/category/pasta/

PJ

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Against All Grain is a fantastic resource for all things AIP.

It may seem tough right now, but it can be done (remember how you probably felt when you first started cutting out gluten? Look where you're at, now, probably quite a bit farther than you thought you'd be back then). In the short term, just focus on one or a few foods at a time. Whole30 is a good place to start. After a while, you find what foods harm you and what ones don't, and you'll stop even wanting those foods that make you feel worse.
  • cindytw
    Options
    PJBisbee wrote: »
    Hi Cindy, I don't follow an AIP diet, but I've found a couple blogs that have wonderful recipes:

http://hewontknowitspaleo.com/#sthash.laDrXnkU.dpuf

http://aiplifestyle.com/

And this blog isn't AIP, but I think many of her recipes are/or can be AIP, and I love using the spiralizer - so much fun:

http://www.inspiralized.com/category/pasta/

PJ
    Thanks I will look at those I am not familiar with them.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Against All Grain is a fantastic resource for all things AIP.

It may seem tough right now, but it can be done (remember how you probably felt when you first started cutting out gluten? Look where you're at, now, probably quite a bit farther than you thought you'd be back then). In the short term, just focus on one or a few foods at a time. Whole30 is a good place to start. After a while, you find what foods harm you and what ones don't, and you'll stop even wanting those foods that make you feel worse.

I am familiar with a lot of Against All Grain...I think I am looking at something a lot worse though. I will have to find the link and share it again, it was from a DR. on the Paleo Womens conference.
  • cindytw
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://drknews.com/autoimmune-gut-repair-diet/

This is what seems overwhelming to me! I eat a lot of the forbidden things and love them! I guess you are right if I mourn them like I did Gluten , but I also get to a point that I am like WTF?!! I am already so restricted gimme a break!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Against All Grain, if I'm remembering right, relies a little too heavily on nuts for my comfort. I could be remembering the wrong book, though.

The hardest thing for me to give up was nightshades. Giving up eggs was difficult too, at first, but I managed somehow. (I think I did a LOT of bacon or breakfast sausage in those days, until I was able to reintroduce eggs without a problem. Whew.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Against All Grain, if I'm remembering right, relies a little too heavily on nuts for my comfort. I could be remembering the wrong book, though.

The hardest thing for me to give up was nightshades. Giving up eggs was difficult too, at first, but I managed somehow. (I think I did a LOT of bacon or breakfast sausage in those days, until I was able to reintroduce eggs without a problem. Whew.

Yeah...I am gonna have some issues especially on the link I provided. I LOVE my farm eggs!! I love my nightshades!! I love my coffee and wine!! I am not sure what I could actually eat if I followed this and the thyroid diet that excludes cruciferous veggies as well! Its just too much right now I guess!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

Yeah...I am gonna have some issues especially on the link I provided. I LOVE my farm eggs!! I love my nightshades!! I love my coffee and wine!! I am not sure what I could actually eat if I followed this and the thyroid diet that excludes cruciferous veggies as well! Its just too much right now I guess!

I think you need to shift your perception a little bit. Instead of thinking "OMG, it's so restrictive!" start thinking "look at all the stuff I can eat that won't make me sick!" That list, even if you take out the cruciferous vegetables, is quite extensive.

I bet that if you actually sat down and wrote out the things you eat now (or even better, the things you ate before finding out you were Celiac), you'd find a fraction of the variety than what's in that list.

That's not to say it's not going to be a challenge. It takes some legwork and time to get all the details in place (getting meats from pastured sources, for example) and build up a new collection of favorite recipes. But it can be done, and it's only as daunting as you let it be.
  • GrokGranny
    GrokGranny Posts: 25 Member
    Options

"Yeah...I am gonna have some issues especially on the link I provided. I LOVE my farm eggs!! I love my nightshades!! I love my coffee and wine!! I am not sure what I could actually eat if I followed this and the thyroid diet that excludes cruciferous veggies as well! Its just too much right now I guess!" - since you know me personally, you know I don't like eggs...but I find the AIP very hard to follow. I like a few nuts now and then and I still like a glass of red wine on occasion and I found following AIP didn't make a difference. I have been tested and do not have Hashi's or any other auto-immune disorder, so hopefully I can make strides in sticking to straight Primal.