Calorie Killers Challenge (12/18 - 12/24)

Options
cycletrak1
cycletrak1 Posts: 607 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Week 13 Extra Challenge (12/18 - 12/24):

“Pay it forward” Do something nice for someone else.

I know everyone is busy during this time of year, but don’t forget to share with folks that you love them. Say the words, give them a hug, even if you, or them, are not the hugging type. (First ask if you can give them a hug of course.)

My husband’s parents were not huggers. I always hugged my parents even when we all got together with both sides of our families, but never hugged his parents. After my mom died, I realized how short life was. I started hugging his parents too!

I could feel from the hug that I received from them, that they were uncomfortable and that they felt awkward about it. But that didn't stop me! I always asked them before I gave them a hug and they always said “sure”. I am happy to say that they no longer feel uncomfortable or awkward with the hugging and they now ask me for a hug! :)

We had talked about this later and it came up that they were never really hugged when they were small, so they never really hugged their children (my husband and his siblings). They said they enjoy the hugs now!

I cannot imagine a life without a hug growing up or even as an adult!

This challenge can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it!

Ideas for this challenge:

Give someone a hug (with their permission of course)

Let someone know that they are loved. They may know it already, but to hear the words is always awesome!

Help clean someone’s house. The holidays can be exhausting and the extra help is usually appreciated!

Help someone decorate for the holidays or help someone just get organized in general.

Volunteer to help out at a shelter, food bank, church or nursing home etc.

Pay for the meal for the person behind you, like at a fast-food drive through. I know we are supposed to try to avoiding those kinds of places, but it happens. :)

Pay for a movie ticket for the person behind you.

Remember to share here with your team on how you chose to “Pay it forward”.

Sharing your “Pay it forward” here will earn your team 5 points!

Remember:
Yesterday is gone.
Tomorrow is not promised.
Today, this very moment, is a gift and it is all that we have.
Take advantage of this gift, the present, and share your heart.
<3

Reminder, the Weigh-in, Chat/Busy Bee Commercial Challenge and "Pay it forward" EXTRA Challenge are due on Christmas Eve, Wednesday, December 24th, before Midnight.

:flowerforyou:

cycletrak1

Replies

• 12qw34
    12qw34 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ann'e what a great challenge! I also grew up in a family who did not express feelings well like your husband. I always hug family members now even the ones that can be hard to get along with. My kids hug and kiss me every day and say they love me. I never get tired of it. I hope it does not change as they get older.
    Looking forward to adding some sunshine out there for this challenge! It can be tough out there this time of year!
  • 12qw34
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just want to praise the Calorie Killers for doing a great job during this challenge so far! I particularly want to congratulate Patti, Marty and Paula for their amazing weight loss since September! Keep up the great work!
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    12qw34 wrote: »
    Ann'e what a great challenge! I also grew up in a family who did not express feelings well like your husband. I always hug family members now even the ones that can be hard to get along with. My kids hug and kiss me every day and say they love me. I never get tired of it. I hope it does not change as they get older.
    Looking forward to adding some sunshine out there for this challenge! It can be tough out there this time of year!

Glad to hear you are sharing hugs with everyone...even those who are hard to get along with! :) That shows others, and most importantly your children, that love is unconditional! It's so important to feel loved in our lives and a simple hug can do that! <3 Our children are now 28 thru 31 years old. We still hug, kiss and say the "I love yous". :)

:flowerforyou:

• Baby43204
    Baby43204 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    my showing of love is towards my mom cause we have never been close and hardly talked even on the phone and i cant even remember the last time i called her and told her i loved her so i called her tonight and talked to her and told her i love her and would enjoy having her here at my house for Christmas i am not sure if she will come up i hope she does. but i showed her love and told her i love her.
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    Baby43204 wrote: »
    my showing of love is towards my mom cause we have never been close and hardly talked even on the phone and i cant even remember the last time i called her and told her i loved her so i called her tonight and talked to her and told her i love her and would enjoy having her here at my house for Christmas i am not sure if she will come up i hope she does. but i showed her love and told her i love her.

Awesome! Just Awesome! <3
  • 12qw34
    Options
    I am not sure who has a Norman Rockwell style family mine is not one of them on either side. I find it amazingly difficult to communicate with my in laws! I have 3 sister in laws and my husband's parents.
    Get togethers often become Seinfeld episode with its twists and turns! An example, both of my sisters in laws left their readings at the hotel 20 minutes away from the church I was married in. They let me know this as I was stepping out of the limo in my wedding dress. That caused me to forget all about my overnight bag the limo driver put in the trunk, and the limo driver drove away with it. I was literally Cinderella at midnight.
    Anyway, i reached out to my in laws regarding Declan and Chloe's First Communion in April. One of my sister in laws is Declan's godmother. I am hoping for the best! I have many other episodes like this! I just have to try to keep a sense of humor about it and hope everyone can play nice and not ruin the day!
  • 12qw34
    Options
    I live in a 5 house cul de sac. There is only 1 other neighbor with young children. My 60 year old neighbors who do not like children or really any one in general are moving out today. A new family is moving in. My guess is that they wanted to celebrate being in their new house at Christmas time. I will go over with my kids and a gift basket when I see them and introduce myself and welcome them to the neighborhood. Here's wishing for the best!
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    12qw34 wrote: »
    I am not sure who has a Norman Rockwell style family mine is not one of them on either side. I find it amazingly difficult to communicate with my in laws! I have 3 sister in laws and my husband's parents.

Anyway, i reached out to my in laws regarding Declan and Chloe's First Communion in April. One of my sister in laws is Declan's godmother. I am hoping for the best! I have many other episodes like this! I just have to try to keep a sense of humor about it and hope everyone can play nice and not ruin the day!

I don't know too many who have a Norman Rockwell style family either! I hope the family comes together and it works out for their First Communion! Great job reaching out to spread the joy!
  • musicfan4life30
    musicfan4life30 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    usually every friday I volunteer at a food bank I volunteer with every single week but they gave me this week and last week off so i am not going this week. My volunteer job at the food bank that i volunteer with is I box food for the people who need food. I love my volunteer job and I have been volunteering at the food bank that i volunteer with since August! :)
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    usually every friday I volunteer at a food bank I volunteer with every single week but they gave me this week and last week off so i am not going this week. My volunteer job at the food bank that i volunteer with is I box food for the people who need food. I love my volunteer job and I have been volunteering at the food bank that i volunteer with since August! :)

That is so wonderful!
  • lifeisspiffy
    lifeisspiffy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I volunteer with the Red Cross, both in an office entering surveys into the computer and as an instructor. We have had quite a lot to do before people start taking vacation for the holiday. So I helped clean up the office and take inventory before the new year along with my regular duties.

Also, cleaned my house and decorated so my mom didn't have to do it before leaving for vacation. I will keep it clean for when she comes home around the new year.
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    I volunteer with the Red Cross, both in an office entering surveys into the computer and as an instructor. We have had quite a lot to do before people start taking vacation for the holiday. So I helped clean up the office and take inventory before the new year along with my regular duties.

Also, cleaned my house and decorated so my mom didn't have to do it before leaving for vacation. I will keep it clean for when she comes home around the new year.

Great work!

Also, wishing you good luck on keeping the house clean for when your mom comes home. <3
  • Cbanjo
    Cbanjo Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    This is a very good challenge as l just love hugging people which some times has gotten me into troubles. I believe that hugging someone makes that person feels special and loved. My family members calls me cat because l sooo much love to be hugged. I visited an orphanaged home on Saturday and l practically hugged all the 35 children and staff in the building while there :D:D:D:D . I am a compulsive hugger if there's anything like that.
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    Cbanjo wrote: »
    This is a very good challenge as l just love hugging people which some times has gotten me into troubles. I believe that hugging someone makes that person feels special and loved. My family members calls me cat because l sooo much love to be hugged. I visited an orphanaged home on Saturday and l practically hugged all the 35 children and staff in the building while there :D:D:D:D . I am a compulsive hugger if there's anything like that.

That was such a very nice way to spread the love of a hug!! I'm sure all those children and staff loved it!

I too am a compulsive hugger!!
  • Mspmpayne
    Mspmpayne Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I ended up making making cookies and banana bread (among other baked goods) and passed some out to some lawn care workers in the neighborhood and told them what a great job they do. I also mailed some baked goods to someone who checked out my mothers car (in Ohio) after a dealership tried to charge her $3000 for a repair she didn't need. The guy picked up her car, checked it out and told her it didn't need anything she just overfilled the power steering fluid. I wrote him a nice long card and told him what a great person he was for being so honest and treating elderly people with care and respect. A friend of the family said he showed it to him and it made his day, even though I don't know him. =)
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    Mspmpayne wrote: »
    I ended up making making cookies and banana bread (among other baked goods) and passed some out to some lawn care workers in the neighborhood and told them what a great job they do. I also mailed some baked goods to someone who checked out my mothers car (in Ohio) after a dealership tried to charge her $3000 for a repair she didn't need. The guy picked up her car, checked it out and told her it didn't need anything she just overfilled the power steering fluid. I wrote him a nice long card and told him what a great person he was for being so honest and treating elderly people with care and respect. A friend of the family said he showed it to him and it made his day, even though I don't know him. =)

Homemade goodies are the best! What a great idea you had to share with the lawn care workers. I am sure they were surprised and very appreciative! The mechanic enjoyed the goodies too! What a nice mechanic. It's hard to find honest repair folks in general, little lone a car repair shop!
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Last night, while my sister was getting some fast food - I paid for the car behind us. I wish I could have seen the look on their face!
  • cycletrak1
    Options
    3athlt wrote: »
    Last night, while my sister was getting some fast food - I paid for the car behind us. I wish I could have seen the look on their face!

Nice way to pay it forward Marty! They were probably confused when they were told it was already paid for. I am sure they appreciated it!
  • Mspmpayne
    Mspmpayne Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    3athlt wrote: »

That is so cool. What a great gesture!
This discussion has been closed.