No Thyroid? Weight Loss?

Options
s_light
s_light Posts: 58 Member
I had my thyroid removed about two years due to cancer. Since then I've been on Levothyroxine; my dosage ranging from 150 to 225. I have also been putting more and more weight on. I did lose about 17 pounds a few months ago (couldn't tell now though) by adapting a clean, organic diet. The problem with that is, I live in a small rural town and we don't get a lot of produce come fall and winter months. I'm tired of struggling with my weight, I'm 26, I should be in the best of my life right now. What type of lifestyle has everyone else adopted to help them lose weight?

Replies

• cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation with my thyroid. My physician keeps me at slightly hyper to keep any cancer from returning with a T factor at less than 1. For the last several years using Synthroid mine has been between 0.04 to 0.01. I think in terms of total health which includes timely scheduled meals including snacks with calorie count below the stated goal, At least 6-8 cups of water daily and finally walking at least two miles a day if possible 7 days a week. By the way my physician is well known nationally in the medical community and lectures periodically across the country. He will not let me use anything else but Synthroid because of its accuracy.
  • thyroidless74
    thyroidless74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just joined MFP so I can't share any exciting weight loss with you, but want to ask if you take T3 in addition to T4 (Synthroid and its generic forms)? A lot of people who struggle with weight need T3, another thyroid hormone. I had my TT in Jan. 2008 and have gained 25 lbs. and never had a weight problem before. My weight has been stable for four years and I bounced back from both pregnancies (in my late thirties). I think is because my Free T4 and Free T3 levels are stable. Now I need to finally make an effort to count calories to lose weight.

As far as produce, do you have any local farms? You can do some research to see if there is a local CSA that does produce delivery. They're usually small farms so you have to do the research to find them.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been here for a few months now, and weighing my food on a digital scale, logging that food, and exercise has worked for me. I take 100 mcg of Levothyroxine. I also have hypoparathyroidism and I had a complete thyroidectomy.

I didn't go organic, but I did get in more fresh vegetables. I am a huge fan of salads in jars. I make salads all week for work on Sunday evening and then I bring them to work all week. It has taken a lot of discipline, but I've made a lot of progress. I also set my macros to 40/30/30. I don't meet my macros all of the time, but most days I come pretty close. I also started lifting weights and running.

More about my progress: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10011779/success-so-far-15-lbs-until-goal-weight
  • elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have been thinking alot about this issue lately. I too struggle with a poop thyroid/ what i have noticed is that it is really hard to take it off and really hard to keep it off. I swear i ave to work twice as hard. I am sure some will snicker at that but its true! I have managed to lose quite a bit but now that winter is here and im not literally hiking a mountain every day... I can only seem to maintain. I will maintain for the winter and ber ready to go next spring... right back up that mountain .
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've never had a thyroid (diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism at 9 months) so I can certainly empathise with the struggle. My GP keeps my meds at a level that is slightly hyper which seems to help.
    I've finally managed to get to a healthy weight range after three years and 9 months (4 kg still to lose) so it is possible. Although it seems to take a lot more effort to get much smaller results which is quite frustrating. I'm doing more exercise and trying to be a bit more diligent with my diet but, not really following a specific plan. Seems to be working for me so far though.
  • s_light
    s_light Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. To answer questions; no I don't take a T3 replacement. I was for the longest time then my insurances switched, and I can no longer afford to be on it.

hmrambling, I to love salads in jars! What is your go to recipe and/or your absolute favorites?!?
  • RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    s_light wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback. To answer questions; no I don't take a T3 replacement. I was for the longest time then my insurances switched, and I can no longer afford to be on it.

hmrambling, I to love salads in jars! What is your go to recipe and/or your absolute favorites?!?

Armour Thyroid is natural desiccated thyroid so it has both T4 and T3 and its very inexpensive, at least where I live. Synthroid (just T4) did nothing for my symptoms.

I still have my thyroid and have Hashimoto's so my symptoms and weight are still up and down all the time.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    s-light. I do so hope you can try the Armour. I feel for anyone in your position because no one asks to be without a thyroid and a full compliment of hormones. If you can get Armour you should feel significantly better, because it more reflects our own thyroid composition and includes tiny amounts of t1 and 2. (If anyone tries to tell you it is less controlled in production, it is not. It is no more dysfunctional than any other registered pharmaceutical product registered and used in 2014. I think "Stop the Thyroid madness" site has something to say about this).

I am fortunate in this respect, someone with needs such as your own should have them met without personal cost. I believe there should be a finance pot available for essential medication like this where ever any one lives. There are so many systems which are reliant on a fully functioning thyroid that I feel it is imperative you try for this product. I have too many issues from not being diagnosed as hypo for years possibly because my salicylate sensitivity may have complicated my symptoms and I would not wish anyone to be lesser than they are biologically intended to be.

All the very best.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. According to the NIH (and my endocrinologist), there's no such thing as a thyroid diet.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default fiber & protein goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.