recent diagnosis

Options
ksmcanter
ksmcanter Posts: 24 Member
I went to a new endocrinologist about a month ago, and she diagnosed me with uncontrolled diabetes. Although, I have been a type 2 diabetic for years, this hit me very hard. I am already on 1000 metformin 2 x a day, 20 units of humalong 2 x a day, and levimir 55 units at bedtime. She also added Victoza, however, I was not able to take it as I became nauseated all the time and became dehydrated due to vomiting. My next appoint is in January, and I pray that my A1C goes down. The last time it was checked, it was 13.1. I have been trying very hard to due the best I can. I have been sick with bronchitis for 4 weeks, put on an antibiotic. I am still having some problems with coughing, but, I know it takes a while. I am 62 years old, and disabled. I have no support from my family with trying to eat right. I need some friends please that are going through some of the same things as I am. Actually, I need help from anyone who wants to offer me any information. My disabilities include: high blood pressure, history of TIA's, osteoarthritis, depression, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, GERD, hiatal hernia (inoperable, because located under my heart), also, survivor of level four melanoma

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted here! Have you met with a diabetes educator recently? She'll be able to help you figure out any changes you could make to your food choices to help manage your blood sugar levels, plus she'll be an excellent source of support. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to just do your own thing if you have no family support. Eat like your educator told you to and let your family eat how they want. Sometimes silence says more than trying to explain.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the group. You can add me as a friend. :) I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this year in April. I also have high blood pressure. I am willing to help any way I can. Did the endocrinologist tell you how you should be eating? Are you currently keeping track of all the food that you eat every day? (I can't see your food diary so I'm not sure.) Then you will know how many carbs, etc. you are eating every meal. Planning and prepping food ahead of time helps me a lot even though that's an area that I lack. It makes it easier to make the right choice. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water every day too. I took a 3 part series of diabetes education classes that were very informational too. Do you exercise at all? Do you cook for your family daily? I sometimes struggle with that because I cook for myself, my significant other, my daughter and mother in law and they don't have to be as strict with the food they eat.

Also - Diabetes runs in my family. My mom has had it over 15 years.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You've made several important changes Amber, and you're seeing excellent results! ~Lynn /Glucerna