Domestic spat over food....

Options
2»

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Most buffets are not cheap!
    For the time being its better for me to pay for a plate of food and take the rest home, that way I don't feel like I gave an arm and a leg for the little amount I ate.
    Maybe sometime down the road when things are more "normal"...or as normal as can be!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have a card from my surgeon that explains I had WLS and asks that I be allowed to order off the kids menu. I've only had to use it a couple of times and one of those was at a buffet. They honored it and charged me the kids price.
  • 2BeHappy2
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No card here :neutral_face:
    This would be the ideal thing, wish all facilities put this much thought into their patients!
  • seattlehorn
    seattlehorn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread to read as I get prepared for surgery. My husband and teenagers do not have weight problems and love to eat chips, ramen, candy, soda, ice cream, etc. I refuse to buy it for them; they have to go get it themselves if they want it. My husband is supportive, he wants to eat better, but the teens complain daily about how "abnormal" it is. Some days their only exercise is running to the store (1 block away, dang it, we should move) for soda and chips. So I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when the kids said they love "my" snack foods (raw veggies, jerky, nuts, pickles, olives, matcha) and would I please buy more. LOL. This is going to get really, really expensive. OTOH, I'll be eating less post-surgery, so maybe it will even out.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went out to eat tonight. My wife just ordered what she wanted and I ordered what I wanted. My plate was so big and so full of food I was amazed that 3 months ago, I would have eaten every single bit of it. However, since I had such a bad day today with eating since we were out running around all day all I thought about was the protein. The waitress watched me eat not even a fraction of the food while my wife dug in lol. Talk about expensive and 97% ended up in a box to bring home. We went to an upscale japanese restaurant, (she wanted sushi) and I think the waitress was shocked since she walked up and asked if I needed "2" boxes to put the rest of my dish in. I told my wife I only needed 6oz lol....and just the protein. I would bet an arm that the food alone weighed 2lbs between just the rice, carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms. I looked at the kids menu, but don't have and haven't been offered a surgical card. I have to look into that since the kids menu actually had what I needed.....all that I needed without all the fluff.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When we go out I don't ever order anymore - LOL! I usually just eat a couple of bites off my hubby's and kiddo's plate. With the amount of food on their plates my few bites don't even make a dent and the plus side we save money.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Is eating from another persons plate accepted in restaurants?
    A few weeks ago my husband was wanting something while running errands, I wasn't.
    We went into a hot sub place and he ordered and I didn't.
    While at the counter, they asked if I wanted them to cut his sub not just in 1/2 but 1/4's, I told them I wasn't eating.
    Because we'd only been at this new place 1 other time, I tried the 1 he'd ordered (mainly the meat) and as I was doing that, the waitress happened to walk by!
    She stopped and again asked me if I wanted the 1/2 cut, I should not have to explain that I was simply "tasting" it but I felt uncomfortable being "monitored" by her
    I think eating this way would feel like I was being put in a hot seat, with all eyes on me :neutral_face:
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    2BeHappy2, Yes you can eat off another plate in most restaurants and I have from time to time. But it's usually the opposite at our table. I eat what I want from my meal and if the husband is still hungry or "really hungry" he will finish mine! Yes, everything from the salad (I eat about 1/4) to the main entree, if he likes what I ordered and he wants it, he's welcome to it. The fun part is when the wait staff comes around and sees it and I always say "it was great, just way too much food for me". They always agree that it was a lot of food and that's it. :D
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Oh believe me, that's how its always worked here too!
    Im just not usually the 1 eating from someone elses but the question was not so much about that.
    Clearly if we each have our own food no ones going to take notice as much as only 1 person having food and the other person eating off of the other persons plate.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I gotta say this.....we went out last night to a different restaurant than we usually go to because our usual one is closed until after Christmas for maintenance. My husband and I usually share but this time he got something that I couldn't eat and I actually resented him for it! Very interesting to me because we have not shared before but wow, was I mad because I had to beg the waitress to let me order off of the childrens menu. I live in a tourist trap so usually they don't let me do that. I was upset. Still kind of am actually. And I am still craving the steak and grilled shrimp we usually get.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We go to a local Chinese buffet. I explained after my surgery that I can only eat a very small amount now and they allow me to put what i want in a take-out container and pay by the lb. I then can sit and eat with my husband. My meal is usually under 3.50 and I have enough left to have another meal! I have asked this at other buffets and they would not allow it. I just found out that we have the cards here to to get discounted meals--I need to ask my NUT for one.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    A friend surprised us w/ some restaurant gift cards...not knowing Id had WLS (which is fine)!
    Logans was having a deal on their onion brewski sirloin...free app with the steak meal purchase.
    The lady initially balked at me wanting certain things done to the appetizer selection (3 choices) and when my husband got 2 sides from his meal and ordered a plain sweet potato for me, she turns to me and says "what will you be eating?"
    She'd just taken the order...what part of that had she not understood and then when his meal came, both the baked and sweet potato were on "his" plate instead of placing mine separately for me.
    I kind of felt like she was trying to make things more difficult.
    I ate some plain chicken wings (w/out skin) and then 1/4 of the potato (he ate the other 2 choices)...but he did share a bite of his steak before killing it w/ A1 sauce...sorry guys, Im not partial to that!
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    A friend surprised us w/ some restaurant gift cards...not knowing Id had WLS (which is fine)!
    Logans was having a deal on their onion brewski sirloin...free app with the steak meal purchase.
    The lady initially balked at me wanting certain things done to the appetizer selection (3 choices) and when my husband got 2 sides from his meal and ordered a plain sweet potato for me, she turns to me and says "what will you be eating?"
    She'd just taken the order...what part of that had she not understood and then when his meal came, both the baked and sweet potato were on "his" plate instead of placing mine separately for me.
    I kind of felt like she was trying to make things more difficult.
    I ate some plain chicken wings (w/out skin) and then 1/4 of the potato (he ate the other 2 choices)...but he did share a bite of his steak before killing it w/ A1 sauce...sorry guys, Im not partial to that!

That's just bad service! I have never had these kinds of issues even if all I ordered was a bowl of chili and asked it to come when she served his meal. I hope you complained to the manager! I would have!

• boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had two sit down experiences last week. First, my husband took our kids to Applebees for dinner. Service took a while, and I was home faster from work and met them there. Waiter didn't even offer to serve me, until he brought the check and I ordered french onion soup. I had a few onions, a tiny bit of cheese, broth, then turned the bowl over to my husband to finish the onions, cheese and bread.

A few days later we did Mexican with the kids. I have a card too, but didn't use it. My son loves tacos, so I ordered him the 3 taco no sides adult meal (as my meal) and him the one taco, rice, bean plate off the kid menu. PLates came, and I switched. I had beans and some taco meat, and he had his tacos.

Not eating the chips was a little hard at first, but then I got over it. :)
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    I had two sit down experiences last week. First, my husband took our kids to Applebees for dinner. Service took a while, and I was home faster from work and met them there. Waiter didn't even offer to serve me, until he brought the check and I ordered french onion soup. I had a few onions, a tiny bit of cheese, broth, then turned the bowl over to my husband to finish the onions, cheese and bread.

A few days later we did Mexican with the kids. I have a card too, but didn't use it. My son loves tacos, so I ordered him the 3 taco no sides adult meal (as my meal) and him the one taco, rice, bean plate off the kid menu. PLates came, and I switched. I had beans and some taco meat, and he had his tacos.

The Mexican meal? That was a great way to handle that. Since I don't usually have kids with me (and if I do it's grandkids) I just either order something I know the husband will finish or something I can warm up for another meal. It's rare that I use the card simply because it's usually not an issue.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »

Awesome job! It would be hard to pass up those chips and salsa, those were a favorite of mine pre-surgery