Confused and stewing

Options
nowucme
nowucme Posts: 88 Member
Two weeks ago I met for the first time with my support team (nurse and NP) The nurse asked which procedure I wanted and when I said sleeve she acted like I was insane. Her eyes widened, her mouth dropped open and she proceeded to tell me I should have RNY. When I didn't cave she called in the NP who proceeded to state there were basically no advantages to the sleeve, no decreased complications, no benefits over RNY, that it was no less invasive, etc.
Asked where I was getting my information about medication and malabsorption issues, etc and acted put out that I would resist their opinion. I was stunned and told them I was surprised at their resistance to sleeve surgery. I said the doctor had no reservations when I told him I wanted the sleeve. They suddenly backed off. But I am still upset and wonder if I have chosen the wrong practice.
I have done a lot of research before choosing the sleeve and I have continued looking since that visit and I do not find support for their arguments. I do not have diabetes or any other condition that would support RNY over sleeve. And my BMI is 41 so very severe obesity is not an issue either. Now I feel like maybe I should forget the whole thing. I feel betrayed.

Replies

• TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some practices just have their creature comforts. Aftercare for RNY differs from the sleeve in slight ways. They aren't used to the Sleeve since it's considered fairly new. You want a team that's going to support your decision so they can get on the boat or you can find a sleeve centered practice. I'd be concerned about the advice that you're going to get... they just sound like they don't know wtf they're talking about. I'd speak with the surgeon about them and make some changes if necessary.

That said I would not let this team deter you from your goal. Gonna take more than one speed bump to cancel this race!
  • nowucme
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh, she backed off at the mention of the doctor and said of course, they would give me all the help and support needed. But I was so thrown by this incident and frustrated.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    IT can be frustrating. I also hate that there is not a widely accepted standard operating procedure regarding guidelines. One surgeon says this... another surgeon says that... this nutritionist says this....another says that. It makes it hard to give advice because what my surgeon says might totally clash with what yours says. I think, at some point, common sense and knowing the science of how wls works has to prevail, as well as listening to your own body.

Post surgery, it's gonna be you and your sleeve. You might see those folks once a month and then once a quarter and then once a year. Decide now what your overall health philosophy is going to be... bone up on research and watch what successful people are doing. That'll be of way more support to you than the nurse at the doc's office!
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In the end, you are the one that has to live with your decision and it is your body - not the nurse or NP. After the research that I did, I didn't even consider RNY and I was firm about the reasons why I wanted the sleeve (thankfully, no one tried to talk me into RNY - even though my BMI was 57 at the time..).

The surgeon's office is one source of support, but it is not the end-all-be-all of your post-op resources. I have found sites like obesityhelp.com to be an invaluable resource. I have followed advice from the vets there on post-op nutrition (mainly, very low carb), as opposed to my surgeon's plan (which is much more of an everything-in-moderation approach). For what it's worth, I seem to be on the high end of the curve for weight loss compared to others at my monthly support group meeting, and my NUT and surgeon have seemed thrilled by my progress. (Note: I'm not advocating going against your surgeon/NUT's advice, I just knew the moderation approach would not work for me - at least during the weight loss phase.)
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My one comment is that you need to have confidence in your support team. So if you have misgivings, consider shopping around for another surgeon's office, if that option is available to you. I would also be candid with your surgeon about what happened. They don't want their staff to make patients uneasy.
  • nowucme
    Options
    Thanks all, I did feel a bit as if I had been ambushed. I expected to have to explain my choice to the doctor but not weeks later to his staff. I will speak frankly with the NP next visit if I still feel resistance from her.