Added Fitbit to my Paleo lifestyle.

Options
Hi all, I bought a fitbit on Friday and need some help with making sure I am using it to the fullest potential. Does it only track steps, calories and sleep patterns? Is there something else I can use it for? Seems like there should be more to it than that. Also, seems I burn way more calories than I thought (unless I am not using it correctly). It was so easy to set up, yet I feel that for $90.00, I should be abe to get more out of it than just going online and seeing how many steps I took. When is the best time to take it off to charge it (besides the obvious of when the battery is low)? should I charge while in the shower or when just sitting on the couch? Also, I need some fitbit friends. Do any of you have a fitbit? Can we be friends and have challenges?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't have a Fitbit, yet, but I plan on getting one when the Charge HR comes out.

What it does depends on the model you get. From the price point and what you've been saying, it sounds like you got the Flex. That gives you sleep and activity tracking.

The Fitbit's claim to fame, especially with the ones you wear all of the time, is its ability to track your entire activity, giving you more accurate feedback on how many calories you burn, regardless of activity level. The watch-style ones (Flex, Force, Charge, Surge) also allow you to track sleep and gauge your quality of sleep by how much you move in the night (the Flex requires you to tell it you're going to bed, while the Force -- when it was available -- and the Charge and Surge automatically detect it). They also give you a silent wake alarm (available on the One, as well), which can be useful for better waking than the garish sound of an audible alarm.

Additionally, you can sync it with dozens of other apps, or possibly your corporate wellness program (if you have one), to do things like earn points or effortlessly keep track of the data your Fitbit tracks. This provides you with a bunch of data that you can use for various purposes.

As for charging, I'd say that for best results, only charge it when you have to, and only for as long as necessary. The batteries are designed to be drained most of the way before charging again, and that way, you're only taking it off for the ~3 or so hours needed for a full charge. Now, that could be best done when you're doing something sedentary, like settling in for the night and watching a movie or something, or even when you're doing something that you can't wear it for -- such as at the beach or pool.

One thing to keep in mind, though -- only the Flex can be worn in the shower. The other models are not that waterproof (for some unknown reason) and need to be removed before such activities (and I think the shower is about the limit for the Flex's waterproofing, but I don't have confirmation of that, so be sure to check your owner's manual or the Fitbit website).
  • ElisaMicciulli
    ElisaMicciulli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did get the Flex, you're good :-) I don't think I can wear it in the shower. It says water resistant, not water proof. thanks for the info, I didn't realize I can sync it with MFP. It is getting quite tedious tracking things in all these different places (I also handwrite my food diary for my dietician). What is charge HR?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I don't have a tracker. My g/fs got a Garmin and the coolest thing about it, IMO, is the red light thing that comes on if you've been inactive for too long (an hour?).
    So she'll get up and do jumping jacks or something to make it go away.
    Maybe yours has that feature too? They're all a bit different.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    famuv5ive wrote: »
    I did get the Flex, you're good :-) I don't think I can wear it in the shower. It says water resistant, not water proof. thanks for the info, I didn't realize I can sync it with MFP. It is getting quite tedious tracking things in all these different places (I also handwrite my food diary for my dietician). What is charge HR?

The Charge HR is a model or two higher than the Flex. It has a built in heart rate monitor, in addition to a few other cool features. It's not out yet, though (due out early next year).

But yeah, the tracker can take over for logging your workouts in MFP, since the Fitbit will automatically adjust your calories based on your activity level. I don't know if you can set it up to be specific (ie - log that you went on a bike ride), but it at least adjusts the calories accordingly.

Did you know you can print your MFP log? That might save you the step of handwriting your diary, if you have access to a printer.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I pretty much use it only for the steps. I've had it for a year now but haven't been consistently wearing it. I wore it at bedtime once and was surprised to see my horrible sleep pattern. Have fun with yours and use it to its full potential!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, and I love it except that I lose the little buggers frequently!! I want the Charge HR that is coming in 2015. For the Flex, I would like the band, because its not easy to lose like the One. I have to transfer the One to a wrist pouch for sleep tracking. I love the sleep tracking because its very enlightening! I wake up tired, IDK why, I look at my sleep and I say "Well, YEAH, I tossed and turned 25x!!" I didn't want the Flex because you can't see your stats on the device.

So for other features I LOVE the Fitbit Dashboard for motivation! I love seeing the smileys for my 10k steps, my 5 miles, my calories burned! I use this ONLY for that and sleep tracking...You also don't have to set it to sleep you can add it the next morning. You click on your sleep box, forgot to add sleep, and then put the times in. You can adjust after that if you are not quite sure.

I log ALL my food on MFP and rely on Fitbit to transfer exercise. It DOES seamlessly if you make sure to refresh your apps or use the computer. I log my weight and BF on Fitbit and it transfers to MFP. The only exercise I log on MFP is things that won't use steps...like weight training or stacking firewood. Or last week I used auto repair for removing and putting in a hot water heater. Not many steps, but grueling work, and physical too!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hey I just got a fitbit charge and still trying to figure it all out...

I'd love to have some friends on there but I haven't mastered that yet either.
    Basically, I just marvel at my steps at this point...lol.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So I saw a Charge in person last night and found it bulky? does it feel bulky? I also havent worn a watch or a bracelet in YEARS so it might be ME!
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge and I love it! It doesn't feel bulky once I got used to it. It really helps me keep physical activity at the front of my mind.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    So I saw a Charge in person last night and found it bulky? does it feel bulky? I also havent worn a watch or a bracelet in YEARS so it might be ME!

Hey sorry I'm late to the party!

I actually have found that I forget it's on. I'm at a computer most of the day typing and I'm surprised I haven't removed it once for buggin' the crap out of me.

• each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one, and use it to have contests with my friends. The app on the phone allows you to see who has walked the most in the past 7 days, which pushes me to try to walk more. Also I sync it with mfp and try to ensure that I always have earned a few more exercise calories with it.