Trying to expand my horizons with fish....

Options
msnucerity
msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
Hi All,

so I'm not a huge fan of fish- I'll eat it if I have to but outside of plain ole Sole, Tilapia or Mahi Mahi (you know, fish filets that take on other flavours easily) I don't enjoy eating fish very much. A can of tuna or salmon makes my face crinkle with disgust.

But in my scholarly pass-time of googling nutrition and food info, it appears that canned sardines are an awesome food to make part of your diet, boasting low carb, high protein/potassium/iron/calcium content, they're sustainable and some text even indicates they are delicious. (I don't agree with that last statement- I haven't been able to stomach eating a sardine, something about that fishy taste...)

So my question to you is how do you prepare/eat sardines so that they are actually palatable? My brother suggested opening a tin, letting them sit in malt vinegar for a bit and then eating them- this effectively pickles the fish and what you taste is the vinegar and less of their "fishiness".

Any suggestions/recipes?

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In for answers, have been wondering the same thing about sardines!
  • HMM1025
    Options
    I bought a can that were packed in mustard and they were much more tolerable, not delicious by any means but not quite as bad.
  • msnucerity
    Options
    So with more scholarly googling, I'm going to try pickling/marinading some plain sardines that were packed in olive oil in the following recipe...
    - 1 tin of drained sardines
    - 1/4 cup of vinegar (2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar, 2 tbsp white vinegar)
    - 2 cloves crushed/minced garlic
    - 2 tbsp ginger (fresh/frozen, not powdered)
    - 2 tbsp tamari
    - 1/2 to 1 sliced red chili

I'm going to let the sardines sit in this marinade in the fridge overnight and see if they are palatable or at least tolerable.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I used to make homemade dog food and that was one thing I used! The smell alone puts me off I can't imagine eating them! I love seafood too...of all kinds!

Let me know how it works! I am low on calcium and want to get it naturally!
  • msnucerity
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm hitting up the grocery store today for some provisions. If this doesn't work, the remainder of the unpickled sardines will become cat food :)
  • msnucerity
    Options
    Bleh!!! So gross- that did not cover up the cat-food smell or nasty taste. Maybe others will find this method makes sardines palatable but not for me.

The remainder of non-pickled sardines will be used as cat treats...
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Ha! I love fish of all kinds but am put off by finding bones in it. I bought a tin of mackerel a while ago and haven't been able to make myself try it. I guess if I don't like it I can always feed it to our cats & dog. I love raw mackerel thatnive had at Japanese restaurants. I know that there are a few Italian recipes that use sardines. I think one is with pasta & sardines. I like them on pizza but they are very salty, perhaps smoked, too. Caesar salad uses sardines in the dressing, just a bit.