Mentrual cycle and athletic performance

Options
I'm an avid runner, and this past week my mind has been boggled by why my times are so much slower, despite normal effort, with no apparent reason. I don't get bad cramps anymore (thankfully) so it didn't occur to me till today to even consider this! Anyway, yes, and duh, your cycle can affect your performance. Here's a great article about why, and how you can avoid decreased performance. http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-menstruation-affects-your-running?page=single#

Replies

• Jmcbryan570
    Jmcbryan570 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this earlier this week when on my 'day 1' I went for a very fast and flat 5miler. I had a PMS carb binge fest 36 hours or so beforehand so I told myself, period or not, 'you's got the fuel'. My times were actually great, negative splits, right mix of carbs and coffee that day I guess. In the past I do notice my perceived effort is the same or greater but times are slower. Pesky lady issues. Nice article
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to pay more attention each month now and change my fueling up a little to see if it makes a diff.