non fast day calories

Options
oonga
oonga Posts: 336 Member
Hi Guys,
I keep seeing the numbers for feast / feed / non fast days as being TDEE.
However this seems quite high to me?
On a non 5:2 related forum a few have said they are eating 1200cals on feed days, which i thought seemed a bit low?

I have basically added up the calories MFP give me, to lose 500g a week, multiplied that by 7 to give me the week's worth of calories.
Then deducted 1000 from that for the two fast days.
Then divided the rest by 5 to give me the daily amount so that i am eating the same amount per week as I would if i followed mfp.

Even that figure I am a bit scared to eat the full amount? It still seems like a lot LOL

Are people here really eating the TDEE amounts the calculators give on feed days and still managing to lose weight??

I have only just started this week, had my first fast day yesterday and next one is tomorrow :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's not intermittent fasting if the difference between high and low days is big deficit (5 days) and massive deficit (2 days).
    The idea is to eat normally on the five days and only restrict on the fast days - the calorie deficit and therefore weight loss is only supposed to come from the fast days.

Your calculation is flawed unless you do zero exercise because MFP isn't a TDEE calculator (MFP goal is plus exercise calories which TDEE already includes).

If you are following the TDEE method then you can simply custom set your goal to TDEE to give you your 5 day level.
    Have a look at this for their TDEE calculator - http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

If you are following the MFP level then set your goal to maintain current weight and eat back exercise calories on your 5 days only.

Obviously this isn't set in stone but it makes sense to make it your start point - if you pick a plan then it's best to at least try and follow the plan to see how it works for you. With this "game" calorie levels are estimates and adjustment after a period of time may be necessary if you aren't getting the expected results.

To answer your question - yes I did eat to my maintenance levels on the non-fast days and my weight loss was slow, steady and sustainable as expected. The switch to maintenance was an absolute breeze too - which doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of people who rush their weight loss.
  • oonga
    Options
    thanks Smjomial :)
    How slow did you lose your weight?

I have my mfp set at lightly active at the moment, I don't want to lose it too fast either, i have it set at 500g loss per week.

It's good to know you found it easy to transition to maintenance, how long have you been maintaining for?

I know it's silly but i think part of me is scared I will suddenly gain everything i have lost back, if i eat at maintenance for 5 days a week LOL
  • sijomial
    Options
    I lost weight initially at roughly 1lb a week but that was a trend rather than linear progress, my weight fluctuates a lot anyway and with 5:2 those fluctuations are even more pronounced.

I've been maintaining for almost two years but have nibbled a few extra pounds off in a series of small steps. My initial goal weight was a guess based on my favourite weight in my 20's - that turned out not to be the same as my ideal weight in my 50's!

I've maintained on both 5:2 and 6:1 patterns but prefer 6:1 as it gives me 6 days eating at a pretty intuitive level.

• oonga
    Options
    wow that is brilliant!! maintaining for so long!! Well done!!!

I get what you mean about weight loss not being linear lol
    I keep telling a friend of mine the same thing when she gets all stressy about not losing an X amount of weight per week.
    Don't worry look at it over a month or two rather than weekly and your average will still be good!
    I tend to have 1 week a month where i lose almost nothing, if at all and that will be hormonal, then another 2 weeks of medium losses, then out of nowhere a big whoosh of a loss lol So that my losses also average out to about 500g per week :) (1lb)

Thanks for your response! :)

• eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it takes getting used to, doesn't it? being allowed to eat more than you think! I eat a bit less than my TDEE because I can manage eating at 1500-1600 - I feel like it's a good amount for me to stay full but with plenty of energy.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Lyle McDonald's "whooshes and squishy fat" theory really struck a chord with me as regards how fluctuations during weight loss affect some people!
    It's an interesting read....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

I could take three weeks to lose a pound and then just three days to lose three pounds.....
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can count on the TDEE calculators being accurate either. you need to play around with it and see what works for you. If I ate TDEE as calculated I gain weight. Call it over 50 blues or whatever it is my reality. i have lean muscle mass too. So use what works for you.
  • janetteluparia
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald's "whooshes and squishy fat" theory really struck a chord with me as regards how fluctuations during weight loss affect some people!
    It's an interesting read....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

I could take three weeks to lose a pound and then just three days to lose three pounds.....

I read this a while back and it describes my losses to a "T"!!
  • oonga
    Options
    I have seen that article before and its excellent!Thanks for the reminder sljomial! :smile:

Janetteluparia i know activity trackers aren't hugely accurate, but i have found that on normal days where i work (somewhat active at work) and then do some other activity my TDEE is around 2000 give or take.
    I use the UP24. Interestingly a friend let me borrow her Fitbit and there seemed to be a good 300 - 400 calorie higher TDEE, so i figure my TDEE is somewhere in the middle and probably closer to 2000.

Last week was a write off food wise, sadly no fasting either! But back on track yesterday, with first fast day again today :)
    Looking forward to eating tomorrow LOL! Still have decent food planned and in the diary, just bigger serves :D

Thanks for sharing your 50s blues TDEE Yikes! What sort of calories can you eat on your feast days?
  • janetteluparia
    Options
    TDEE for me is about 1300. Sadly. More with activity of course. It's just the way it is. I have lean mass but I've been doing this awhile and am actually a licensed sports nutritionist (inactive). I've had to accept it.
  • oonga
    Options
    OMG!! That is seriously bugger all! :(
    Have you always had a significantly lower TDEE? Or only once you turned 50?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's no fun Janette!

OK, but then I just love food....I never have problems going over my TDEE (1600 Sed / 1900 with workout). It has gone down with weightloss of course and this is about where I have landed. I liked my TDEE of 1900 at the beginning better, but I like my weight and body better now. (157cm / 57.5kg / 45yrs)

My burns during workouts are low, because my hr is lower than most. Thus exercise helps increase my TDEE but never quite as much as I would like on a weekend ;)

So you're right...we have to live with it.

• janetteluparia
    Options
    I must have always had a lower TDEE or I wouldn't have gotten so fat!! I am a nutritionist by education and did everything by the book and nothing ever worked, even weight watchers so it must have always been sluggish. Even with weights and lean mass building which is counter intuitive. Being 50 just confirms you need less as you get older but honestly I am more energetic now than at 30 and have NO plans to slow down!! I look a helluva a lot better than my friends do too! LOL.
  • janetteluparia
    Options
    And let me also say THANK YOU for not being judgy!! I get a lot of crap for eating a 1300 TDEE. I'm not starving and I eat a lot. just a lot of low calorie dense foods. Like vegetables and shrimp.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ...I look a helluva a lot better than my friends do too! LOL.
    Last straw! ...I'm soo not your friend anymore!

Worked with plenty of nutritionists (OPH)...use to love to go to lunch with them, oh boy they can eat! Maybe it's a New Orleans thing.

• oonga
    Options
    Well looking and feeling good is the ultimate goal anyway :grinning:

Nothing at all to be judgemental about! YOu have obviously been doing this for a while, you know the intellectual information and most importantly you know and are in tune with your body.
    I think if my TDEE was that low I would go into denial and blame other things LOL
    So i admire you for working on your body and realising what you need to do for your body :)
  • sijomial
    Options
    TDEE for me is about 1300. Sadly. More with activity of course. It's just the way it is. I have lean mass but I've been doing this awhile and am actually a licensed sports nutritionist (inactive). I've had to accept it.
    Poor you!
    I thought I was dealt a poor hand as my TDEE is always about 300/day less than calculators give me.
    Without my exercise I would feel dreadfully restricted so can only imagine how hard 1300 a day must be.