Diving in to Paleo!

Options
Hi! I am new to the group and new to Paleo. Really interested in trying it out to lose weight, and for the added benefits of eating clean and feeling better. Just wondering how everyone did when they first started. I am a carb lover in any form of bread, potato, or snack so I know that is going to be my hardest to let go. I've done it in the past but I can't say it was fun! If anyone has any tips or could offer some support and recipes id appreciate it!

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group! The first time going through the detox process, I felt horrible. I was nauseous, irritable, and had a migraine for about a week. I’ve noticed when I restart it ain’t so bad, but I do experience minor side effects.
    It’s worth giving it a try, in the end you’ll feel so much better. I feel like I’m out of the fog and have this warm fuzzy feeling from the inside.
    There are several posts in regards to recipes and what people eat, so surf a while and get as much info as you can.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome! The first time I just made up my mind, for me it's really mental strength that keeps me on track. I'm trying a shortened Whole 30 in Jan. and a little nervous about the detox!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did a slow transition, 1st month eliminate all grains and bad oils, 2nd month eliminate all dairy, 3rd month eliminate legumes. It made it more manageable, I didn't have detox symptoms but cravings, which subside quickly. If you are on Facebook or Pinterest, look up Paleo recipes and follow the most popular. Lots of great ideas and inspiration to help you stay on track. Good luck!
  • tgym
    tgym Posts: 7
    Options
    New to Paleo and back trying MFP again. So many questions. Got to find out if I'm eating too much protein. I need to gain muscle. Dr. said. I agree. I had 169 gr. today of protein!But I ate more meat than usual.
  • tgym
    tgym Posts: 7
    Options
    Love the idea of the slow transition, animalldy! Day 1 in group and I have a plan. Thank you!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am more a cold turkey type person, but I can't give up everything all at once. I would say go cold turkey on your biggest vice (grains, sugar, whatever it is for you), then wait a few weeks and knock out something else. I actually came to Paleo after having to go gluten free and dairy free so it wasn't much of a leap, but I struggle still at times!

My biggest source of recipes is Pinterest! If you are on there my username is cindy3768.