Exercise challenges?

Options
2»

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Great idea! One thought--all minutes aren't created equal. The AHA suggests 75 min. of vigorous activity is as good as 150 min. of moderate activity. Perhaps the challenges could recognize that as well, for the sprinters and time-challenged among us! Personally, I mix it up, since sprinting is better exercise, but my "aging" joints can't take intense exercise everyday!

Looking forward to sharing this journey with everyone in 2015. :)
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love the challenges! Hoping for something other than miles though as my heart can't take running and it's too cold to walk with my toddler in the stroller :D
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its easier to create a challenge for yourself. An example might be to do 20 sit ups for 3 days, 50 jumping jacks or even something like being active for 20 minutes a day for 5 days. People can post their challenge to themselves here and than update if they completed said challenge. Once completed, find another way to challenge yourself.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its easier to create a challenge for yourself. An example might be to do 20 sit ups for 3 days, 50 jumping jacks or even something like being active for 20 minutes a day for 5 days. People can post their challenge to themselves here and than update if they completed said challenge. Once completed, find another way to challenge yourself.

Think this is a perfect idea. I think I'd like to set my own wee challenges weekly and then post and update.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Great idea! One thought--all minutes aren't created equal. The AHA suggests 75 min. of vigorous activity is as good as 150 min. of moderate activity. Perhaps the challenges could recognize that as well, for the sprinters and time-challenged among us! Personally, I mix it up, since sprinting is better exercise, but my "aging" joints can't take intense exercise everyday!

Looking forward to sharing this journey with everyone in 2015. :)

Yes, except taking into account "all minutes aren't equal!" and "not everyone can start off with that much!" and catering to literally every eventuality and every activity range leads to a complete destruction of any sort of structured challenge and it becomes a free-for-all. If we're all doing our own different things and working to different goals then it also loses most of its accountability. To me, anyway. If I'm working towards my own goal and I'm the only person working towards that specific thing, the only person I'm accountable to is me. *sings* allll byyyy myseeeellllf.

Ahem. Sorry. Moving on...

Which is why I said "if you don't think you can, try anyway and you might surprise yourself" and why I ALSO said that somebody else (@KayJosh maybe?) is welcome to set up a different challenge thread whereby we set our own goals for those who can't, don't want to, wish to take a more relaxed approach, or whatever. There are a LOT of people in this group. Two challenge threads isn't totally unreasonable.

Basically, this is a structured challenged aimed at a gradual increase in activity level week-on-week. Everyone involved is working towards exactly the same goal (minutes of activity). How you get there is up to you. Those who prefer the structure and, nay, competitive element* that comes with having the same goal as everyone else involved: this challenge is for you.

Everyone else: this challenge is probably not for you.

*Ok maybe that's just me but the desire to 'reach the goal faster' or 'go more over goal' than everyone else involved resulted in me really pushing myself further these last 3 months. Something I absolutely would not have done otherwise, because I'm nothing if not lazy and badly motivated ;)
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love the challenges! Hoping for something other than miles though as my heart can't take running and it's too cold to walk with my toddler in the stroller :D

Do you cycle, whether in the gym (even a spinning class) or outside? When I did the miles we had a cyclist in our group so there was the option of doing cycling miles (further than running miles) instead. If we have any swimmers here (do we? Hands up, folks) there could be a smaller swim miles option but I'd need an opinion on how to calculate that to be 'fair' effort wise since I'm reasonably sure swimming 5 miles is a LOT harder than running it, but maybe that's just because I'm a godawful swimmer. ANYWAY, I digress.

The miles really were only ever bonus "kick everyone's butt" dealios anyway. Not compulsory, as long as you get your minutes in somehow.
  • frazz007
    frazz007 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will play.
  • bahbedwire
    bahbedwire Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think doing 30 day challenges for each month is easier for me. I'm doing a 30 Day Beach Body Challenge at the moment. Not excited for tomorrow, as there are 50 burpees to do that day! *cries* I'm also doing a 30 day yoga challenge as well. It's good, since I'm getting some variety this way.

Cheers!
  • Emilina79
    Emilina79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh yes this is an excellent idea. Thanks for organising it-i'm definitely in!
  • lesamcgarity
    Options
    I use a stationary bike and my challenge is just to get up at 5 am to get on my bike before going to work. That's really the only time I have and I'm not a morning person.
  • rosmom
    rosmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I have signed up to do a 26mile walk for charity in April so this will keep me on track.

I'll need to track my progress to be able to complete this challenge. I plan to do at least 10000 steps per day and cover at least 10 miles per week.

I also want to do some strength training on top of this.

So thats my goals and i will track them every day/week!
  • emilysauerbyrne
    Options
    I'm in!
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lexbubbles wrote: »

Do you cycle, whether in the gym (even a spinning class) or outside? When I did the miles we had a cyclist in our group so there was the option of doing cycling miles (further than running miles) instead. If we have any swimmers here (do we? Hands up, folks) there could be a smaller swim miles option but I'd need an opinion on how to calculate that to be 'fair' effort wise since I'm reasonably sure swimming 5 miles is a LOT harder than running it, but maybe that's just because I'm a godawful swimmer. ANYWAY, I digress.

The miles really were only ever bonus "kick everyone's butt" dealios anyway. Not compulsory, as long as you get your minutes in somehow.

No, I am a lame-o. I did have a gym membership but it was more work to get a sitter and all that then to go work out baha. But I have lost nearly 40 lbs with at home videos so it works :smile:
    I see you posted a challenge! I like the minutes + the small strength. I am still pretty weak so that's cool.