I'm off!!!!!!!!

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I saw my doctor this morning and I am now off the diabetes meds. Less than a year after diagnosis and I am diet and exercise controlled. YAY!

Replies

• Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! How closely do you have to monitor your diet? I mean, is it a very regimented every gram determined, or do you just have a general way of eating? I know it varies from person to person, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around all of this, and your success is a real encouragement!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Jewels211 wrote: »
    Congratulations! How closely do you have to monitor your diet? I mean, is it a very regimented every gram determined, or do you just have a general way of eating? I know it varies from person to person, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around all of this, and your success is a real encouragement!

The carbs are regimented. I have a daily maximum given me by my doctor of 180 grams. My current MFP target is 164 grams (35% of my calorie total of 1870) and if I earn exercise calories I can go up to 180 but not over. Otherwise I eat to fit my macros (35% each protein and carbs and 30% fat). Breakfast is usually a bowl of oatmeal; lunch will be a sandwich with one slice of whole grain bread and lean meat plus 1/2 c Greek yogurt and some protein powder and maybe fruit if I have extra carbs to play with. Dinner could be anything from a stew served over rice or a piece of meat and veggies and almost always starts with a big veggie only salad. My snacks are typically a protein bar (I prefer Quest because of the fiber) mid day and some cheese and hard cooked eggs at night. If I have extra carbs, I may put the cheese on a slice of whole grain bread. I also eat nuts, especially almonds, and if I have lots of carbs to play with I may have a beer or glass of wine.

I pre-plan my day with some expectation that I may change up the snacks. I live alone and many of my dinners are made with 4-6 servings so I already know what I will have for dinner because it is leftovers. That solves one of my big issues. I love to cook, but not everyday. If I don't have a good meal in the house, I will eat whatever is around and don't make good choices then. That is how I gained so much weight. I have lost 79 lb. so far since the first of the year with 72 more to go.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    am new to your community. Just so you have my background up front, my mother died in February 2013 due to complications of diabetes and my husband recently had two strokes this year,.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! So proud of you!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I saw my doctor this morning and I am now off the diabetes meds. Less than a year after diagnosis and I am diet and exercise controlled. YAY!
    How wonderful! Congrats on working on changes to a healthier lifestyle!! ♥
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wooh, hooh! That is wonderful!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

You've set a great example for others.
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

That is fabulous news, congratulations!
  • TNunraveler
    TNunraveler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My doctor thinks I can get off of my meds, if I drop about 20 pounds. You've inspired me to get my rear in gear.
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Way to go, that is a wonderful accomplishment! I don't even know if I can dream about that at this point but it is great knowing it can be done.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Great work! How awesome and inspiring!
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! I was diagnosed 3 months ago and am currently on 4 pills a day. I am working towards at least reducing that if not eliminating. Glad to hear it can be done!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My doctor thinks I can get off of my meds, if I drop about 20 pounds. You've inspired me to get my rear in gear.