Food Diary

Options
JillC878
JillC878 Posts: 9 Member
I see so many diaries that are public and maybe that would help me. I realize that why mine is NOT public is because I am embarrassed of many of my choices and most times just dont bother. I am better then this, but can't connect with it anymore.
Is is helpful to have it public?

Replies

• ReginaKeat
    ReginaKeat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you keep it open to friends only.
    After a while you may find someone who you identify with and can "friend" them and share diaries. I do not have mine open to the public but have it open to those I accepted as friends.
    I hope this helps
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Open to friends helps me be accountable to myself *because* of the embarrassment in showing my MFP friends my choices. It doesn't make me perfect, but my friends aren't perfect either and at most they are there for a helpful nudge when I ask for it. On the positive side, it lets people see what you do that is interesting and helpful to others.

Up to you, but a good group of friends won't hurt you when your choices aren't the best.

Rob
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am not embarrassed but I still choose to keep mine closed simply because when I was 1st new, I was not going to these WLS groups, so a lot of my "friends" are in the general population.
    Without having to explain my "new" eating, its just best if I know what Im doing without questionable eyes on my intake/cals.
    Its my business, not for ALL my friends to be in the "know."
    If I think/know that someone is doing really good in theirs, I will ask them directly
    "what is it that youre doing, youre looking so good."
    Its very rare that someone wont msg back.
    For the time Ive been an MFP member I believe only 1 person didn't respond...which was fine because I have many others to look towards for advice!
    If we could separate the 2 groups...general population vs WLS groups I would most definitely open up mine :smile:
    I actually have shared my food intake by publicly posting (copy & paste) on these forums, I guess you just haven't caught them!
    For me its a comfort thing, nothing because Im embarrassed, if anything Im very proud!
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends--this has really helped me. We all have those times when we do not make a great choice in what we choose to eat but having to share it helps me hold myself accountable. Also I love getting ideas from reading everyones list of foods they posted for the day. This is your journey---whatever you choose is for you---I have found the people I have made friends with on this site are very, very helpful and supportive.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    To each their own, of course.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I understand the embarrassment thing and frankly there are times I don't eat something I want because I don't want my friends to see it. I log everything that goes in my mouth for my own benefit, but having my diary open to my friends helps me stay on track because of the accountability.
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I def have mine open to friends for support and to keep my self accountable!
  • swampthing1169
    swampthing1169 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with foxymitchell. It does help you stay accountable and will help you make good choices. I have mine set for only the people that I have listed as friends. I also like to see what others are eating too and I have gotten some great ideas that I wouldnt have thought of. This tool is all about support and accountablitity. Use it :)
  • lisamlong1977
    Options
    i have trouble figuring out how to plug in my food. as we all know we eat little amounts and so the measurements are off. Have no clue if I am doing it right and finding it frustrating. HELP!!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i have trouble figuring out how to plug in my food. as we all know we eat little amounts and so the measurements are off. Have no clue if I am doing it right and finding it frustrating. HELP!!

I use the serving size then change it to a decimal point example : Greek yogurt serving 1 cup and I had a 4th of it I change the 1 to 0.25
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I had my diary open and then someone I didn't know at all sent me an email scolding me for what I was eating and how much.

First of all, it's none of his business. Secondly, he made a lot of assumptions about how I had lost my weight and how I believe we should eat so his advice was off-base. Finally, I had done a 100 mile bike ride the day before and was still in a 1000 calorie deficit from it so how much I had eaten wasn't even enough to maintain my weight (I was in maintenance) so even if I wanted random strangers to play Food Police with me, I hadn't actually done anything wrong.

I immediately closed my diary, blocked him and reported him.
  • bridget1103
    bridget1103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started having my diary open to friends and it is helping with keeping me honest.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I very rarely look at anyone else's food diary but mine is open to friends. I have nothing to hide. I want people to see that I'm not perfect, but I do the best I can. :)