Favorite Snack Food?

Options
Hey! I really struggle with wanting snacky foods. I miss chips and hummus and cheese. My go to snack on SCD has been hard boiled eggs. What do you snack on? Have you made anything crunchy? I am just starting almond flour so I was thinking maybe I could make crackers or something...

Replies

• bluesunshine999
    Options
    Oh- I also really enjoy the almond butter brownies this girl has posted on her blog- http://scdgirl.blogspot.com/2008/01/stage-two-recipes.html
  • kazzicles
    kazzicles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You'll love these http://elanaspantry.com/salt-and-pepper-crackers/
    I'm okay with the hard cheeses so I love these with a thin slice of jarlsberg as a snack!
  • JaimeNJ
    JaimeNJ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't have a link for it, but I really like the recipe for the almond honey crisps from the BTVC book. I use whole almond instead of breaking them down, and I love that add a sweet snack or dessert.
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    I think that almond flour and cheese upsets my body, but I've been able to eat almond butter recipes. It is kind of horrifying when I put the recipe in myfitnesspal and see how many calories a brownie or cookie has. Ugh. Oh well. I'm not focusing on calories at the moment. Just trying to figure out what I can actually eat. I hope I can tolerate cheese soon....
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    And I can't wait to try the crackers. I miss crackers. I'll check out the BTVC recipe jamie. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
  • kazzicles
    Options
    I made the almond honey crisps but then topped it from the pineapple recipe in the BTVC book to make it a slice I keep in the freezer and just have a piece or two when I am needing a few extra calories. It's more sour than sweet but I don't like sweet all that much.

Jamie are you okay with coconut flour? I made some nice apple and carrot muffins the other day from a paleo book that I modified to make SCD friendly. And some gingerbread cookies, delicious, if soft. Snacks definitely make life easier!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I think that almond flour and cheese upsets my body, but I've been able to eat almond butter recipes. It is kind of horrifying when I put the recipe in myfitnesspal and see how many calories a brownie or cookie has. Ugh. Oh well. I'm not focusing on calories at the moment. Just trying to figure out what I can actually eat. I hope I can tolerate cheese soon....
    I think this is very important..being able to eat things that don't make you ill is far more important than calories in something.
  • JaimeNJ
    Options
    I can tolerate the coconut flour. We should probably start a recipe thread!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Snacking is one thing I don't feel the need to do.
    I find that I am full enough in-between meals and if I eat,it's just a meal.
    I often only eat 2 meals per day.I find that's enough for my digestion to handle.
  • kazzicles
    Options
    Jaime that sounds like a plan! Still working on pinterest reactivation - found my account but the reactivation link doesn't work.

Even though some of the foods on SCD are quite calorie dense, I've found that by increasing my water/fluid intake and eating smaller portions (much easier on my digestion) I have to work to keep my calories up now - such a different approach from what seems like a lifetime of dieting...!

But after a tip off in the SCD group on Facebook I put my dehydrator to work and have been busily making zucchini chips. They are brilliant! Trying beetroot today for the first time too - they'll be ready tomorrow. Super exciting as I grow these things in my garden so I know they are chemical free. Very low calorie snack and definitely have the crunch factor.
  • JaimeNJ
    Options
    I think my wife is going to kill me if I tell her that our kitchen counters are now going to house a keurig, juicer, yogurt maker, food processor, AND an ice cream maker and dehydrator. Lol. I have to find other ways to cook these things!
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    Haha! I know! All these crazy devices...