Avocado Tips

Options
I'm curious about how to time the eating of an avocado. In my experience, the avocado is either too ripe to cut and eat, or when you cut it the majority of it is brown. Not sure what I am doing wrong??

Replies

• kanona_42
    kanona_42 Posts: 8
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. Some people swear by checking the end (where the stem was), I found that didn't work for me at all. The only thing that does is to by them when they're purple but still solid feeling, and to eat them the MOMENT that they have some give. One day longer and they're overripe (and make me gag when I attempt to eat them)... sooner and they're hard as rocks! Hope this helps!
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I found this site once and use it when shopping to pick out avocados...works every time! (Now, getting my Publix to have ripe ones available is another challenge!)
    http://izismile.com/2013/02/11/how_you_know_if_your_avocado_is_good_4_pics.html
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    A ripe avocado should be firm but have a slight bit of give when you squeeze it lightly. If it is soft, put it down, ick. If it is hard give it a couple days to ripen.
  • pinksneakers1
    pinksneakers1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I buy them in bags of 5 and take one at a time out of the fridge. I always have one ripe and one almost ripe. Lurve my avocados!
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love avacado but it's so expensive, grown in Mexico or South American, or repeatedly disappoints by being over ripe. I recently switched to Wholy Guacamole minis when organic avocados hit $2.50. Minis are just the right portion, perfect ripeness with little waste. Bonus ... my family hasn't caught on yet so I can get a bit of avacado whenever I'm in the mood.
  • Jerilang
    Jerilang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I have a question about sweetness or something being ripe, and the produce guy is within earshot, I go ask for assistance. I have learned how to pick the ripest apples this way.
  • seattlecynthia
    Options
    I judge an avacado by how it feels--a ripe avacado has a slightly soft feel when pressed ever so slightly--too ripe feels mushy and unripe feels rock hard . Also an avacado can oxidize rapidly so I usually put a little lemon or lime on it when I serve it. I then wrap the unused portion with plastic wrap touching the flesh and then put it into a plastic bag and take as much air out of the bag as possible to prevent further oxidation .

• tahni
    tahni Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If the inside is brown it's also overripe so I think your two scenarios in the OP are overripe, and even more overripe. o:) I agree on the how it feels method. You want to gently squeeze it with your palm and midfingers to avoid bruising it, it should be like a kiwi or mango! Slight give but does not indent.

I eat avocados like it's my job so here's some other tips:
    • Their color shifts from green to purple/black as they ripen. Not a sure-fire method to tell if they're at the perfect ripeness, but you can definitely get an idea how ripe they are before you buy them just by looking at them. Green ones will take maybe 3-5 days to ripen, so this might be helpful for you since yours keep getting overripe!
    • Once they ripen you can put them in the fridge for a day or two if you don't want it yet
    • If you only use half of the avocado I put Seran wrap on the side that still has the pit. I try to get out as much air as possible then put it in the fridge. Works perfectly and keeps for a couple days!

Let me know if you have any more questions!