Deadlift question

Options
I just finished reading through the entire book and can't wait to start the program! The only thing is that the deadlifts in the program, look nothing like any deadlift I've ever done. They all look like low barbell squats except for the Romanian Deadlift. I was just wondering if anyone thought the same thing, or have modified because the form isn't correct for a deadlift? If this is a technically correct deadlift, can someone explain to me why this is? It looks more like the person in the example is using mostly knees rather than a dropping the hips back and then back forward.

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole book but I've skimmed over some of the exercise pages out of curiosity. The pictures are a bit limited in what they can show but the deadlift shouldn't seem like a squat. But I've never held a barbell low then done a squat either. If going off the ground I would get up close to chest doing a clean type move if it's light enough or wouldn't start from the ground but mostly do back squats using the squat rack. Deadlifts the weight starts on the ground and instead of getting the weight in position and moving, the lift up off the ground is the move. Then it's placed right back down on the ground.

With light weights, it helps to have a stack of plates under each side of the bar (where the plates are located on that bar) to give a bit of height. I had to do that until I could use 45 plates on the bar for deadlifts.

Not sure if that helps. But if going by the picture, it may just be the pictures aren't very good representations of the full move being done.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    You probably have never done a full deadlift- most women have been taught to do a Romanian or a Stiff-legged DL. The deadlift called for in the book is a Olympic deadlift. Like Dawn said, you need to make sure you have bumpers or steps or a way to increase the height until you can use the 45lb plates.
    Watch videos and read articles about proper form- it is well worth your time. Deadlifting with poor form is very hard on your body.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qRntuXBSc
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    Awesome! That's exactly what I needed! Thank you so much. I asked this question on the IIFYM facebook group and got a bunch of jerks telling me I was stupid for not knowing this. Just trying to learn, thanks for being so nice and great ya'll!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I think that is one reason why a lot of women will never try lifting. Too many "bros" out there who act like you're stupid if you ask a question. Hope you enjoy the program. Ask as many questions as you want here- we all had to start somewhere!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    There is no stupid question :smile: We all started somewhere and if one person doesn't know the answer, someone else will (or at least know where to find it lol).
  • aedaniels89
    aedaniels89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will be checking out more of those videos. I just did my first workout of stage one today! I tried to go during a non-busy time (so I didn't have to deal with bros) and it went ok! But I will definitely watch more videos on form before I go back!