New here!

Options
Hello everyone! So happy I stumbled across this group. I am currently looking forward to having Roux-N-Y surgery. I don't have a date scheduled yet as I am going through the testing and the "medically supervised diet" that my insurance requires, but my best guess it will be either mid-March or early April. I am nervous and excited all at the same time.

That being said, I'd love some new friends and support on my journey! I know a few people who have had the surgery done but I don't think I could gather enough tips and advice!

Good luck to all!

Replies

• 5555price
    5555price Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me. Had RNY in April.
  • tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I had RNY on Dec. 11 about 3 weeks ago, I feel great! My advice is to look over some of the past posts, you will find a lot of great information on how to prepare for the operation.

Once again good luck.

Mark.
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had RNY on 10/27 and have had some struggles, but mainly from pre-existing surgical hernias. It is STILL the best decision I've ever made, but I strongly suggest making a lot of the changes now. A year before the surgery, I worked on cutting out sodas, bread, white rice, most sugary snacks, etc. I also worked on lowering my caloric intake slowly. I think this REALLY helped me with the post-op diet phases. My high weight was 303. I was 235 the day of surgery (because of all the pre-op changes I made), and I'm 206 today, a little more than two months later. The surgery will be a great thing for you, but as everyone says, it won't create healthy living FOR you. It's just a tool.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Use your preop time wisely. It can give you a good running start into weight loss and lifestyle changes. You'll have an easier time if you really dedicate yourself now.

Good luck.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve on 11/19. At first, I was kind of cranky about having to go through the 6 mo. pre-op NUT meetings. However, I know see that it was a good plan. I was a sugar addict so it took me all of that time to wean myself off of the high sugar foods. My biggest challenge was not drinking any pop-- and my last pop was actually only 6 weeks prior to surgery. As the others have said, take this time to start making the changes you will need post-surgery. Learn to eat a good, healthy meals. Learn about correct portion sizes. Remove the junk from your daily eating. Start exercising so it is a habit you already have by the time your surgery comes.
  • ChaniGetsHealthy
    ChaniGetsHealthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the tips! i have started eating healthier and am working on weaning myself off of caffeine and sugar. i like baked goods, so right now i am replacing those with fruit and it is much more satisfying. i have had a few slip ups but i am using them as a learning experience :)