Intros

Options
msnucerity
msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
Hello everyone!

Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another a bit better :)

I'm Dana, from the Canadian Prairies (and holy dyna is it cold here today!!!), and the reason I started eating/living Paleo is bc I feel so much better when I follow that eating, my allergies really calm down and I have a lot of blood-relatives who are diabetic or became diabetic at a young age so I'd like to avoid that entirely.

What about you? Don't forget to check in and list your goals in the "week 1 check in" announcement

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm Roland, I live in Oregon USA and I am also avoiding the Diabetic saturation that is showing up in my family as well as all the other "age" related maladies. Been doing this Primal/Paleo thing for a year now and have one Whole30 under my belt where I lost the last 11 pounds. I do not weigh anymore but I may at the end of this just to see where I am.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm Lucy from Texas USA. My weight came on in my mid 40s and then fatigue set in. I was diagnosed in September with a thyroid auto-immune disease called Hashimoto's and immediately dropped the gluten and added what I call my daily cocktail of vitamins. From everything I read, a Paleo Lifestyle is the best way for me to go. I do fairly well eating wise except for sugar and Diet Coke (that sounds bad doesn't it)? My goal for the first 30 days is to drop these two things. I might add that diabetes and thyroid issues run very heavy through my family so the thyroid was a wake up call.
  • msnucerity
    Options
    Hi you two- thanks for sharing and welcome!
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm Korbey and live in the Twin Cities, MN. I have been dabbling in Paleo for over a year. Have started and stopped 2 Whole30's. Really, I'm just tired of not holding myself accountable and "trying". It's time to just do. I have over 60 lbs of fat to lose and feel like crap. I've been paleo in long enough stints to feel all the positive effects and know it's the right life style change for me.

So, here goes the final attempt. It's going to stick this time.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the Whole 30 reset group!
    My name is Verda & I am from Montana where it has been below 0 these past few days. I love sun & warm weather but I don't think I could get my husband to move from his farm.
    Looking forward to feeling better with another Whole 30. Did one in January 2014 & have been looking back over the book It Starts With Food. I say feeling better because I did feel better even though I only lost 3 pounds. I was VERY disappointed about that cuz I would love to drop 15 to 20 pounds. 140 to 145 is a perfect weight for me. I am a sugar addict & NEED to eliminate this because I feel this is the reason I have weight to lose! Why is it we CRAVE the *kitten* that is BAD for us? I have always been into fitness & physical labor so I do have good muscle mass but I carry fat on my rear & legs. I do 100 miles per month by walking or the ex bike and I am doing a high intensity interval training series which is 5 days per week that has weight training & cardio in it. I will keep cottage cheese & some good yogurt in my food list due to needing protein & I am not much of a meat eater anymore. Use to be but as I have gotten older it almost makes me gag anymore.
    I wish you ALL better health & I WILL try to do my best!!
  • msnucerity
    Options
    Wonderful! Welcome ksellen1 & vhuber

*Just a note: this is a group for Paleo, not specific to Whole30*

All Paleo peeps are welcome and while I have no issue with Whole30, I'm more of a Mark's Daily Apple/Primal Blueprint kind of gal :)
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I too tend to be on the Paleo side.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Leena and I am from West Australia. I am off to a shaky start - late night, too many wines to celebrate the new year but hey I'm here and ready to join you all in this challenge.
    I stopped drinking at midnight so technically I am good to go. :D

My aim is to get all wheat out of my diet, limit the added sugar and just eat as much healthy food as possible. (I am not sure how I stand on the wine at this stage and would feel a hypocrite if I said I was giving it up. I think I will just say I will limit my alcohol.)

I will use Mark's Daily Apple/Primal Blueprint as my guide and will endeavour to improve my diet in as many areas as I can.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Emma and I live in Canberra, Australia. I have been overweight as an adult my whole life. Three years ago I started with a personal trainer and over 18 months lost 35 kilos. I stopped with him because I got to the stage where I felt I could keep going myself. For about 15 months I put on about 15 kilos again and although I was going to they gym I lost lots of fitness and just wasn't as healthy.

Four months ago I started at crossfit and am a complete convert. I love the heavy lifting, the one on one coaching in a group situation, the community feel and the fact that I just turn up and am told what to do. In line with crossfit I have started eating better again (exercise and good eating really go hand in hand for me) and have been playing with paleo. I feel much better but have not been really consistent and that is the point of this 30 days. I want to see if I can be really strict for the 30 days and see the full impact it has.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm Niki - I live in Winter Park, FL. I am 32 years old. I have 3 boys (ages 3, 2, and 4 months). I have struggled with my weight since the age of 25. I work full time and just recently finished my college education. Now I am trying to figure out how to balance my work/family life and get in some exercise! I have about 70-80 pounds to lose.
  • sexykima
    sexykima Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kima and I am 48, from Corrales, New Mexico.

My goal is to do the Whole 30 (maybe even a whole 60!) with a yoga/Body Pump regime to help me lose weight, balance my moods and stabilize my hormones. My long-term goal is to lose 40 pounds (10 pounds this month), but mostly I am doing this for my overall wellbeing. I want to feel healthy, energized and happy :) and I intend to transition to a Paleo lifestyle afterwards.

I notice that when I eat dairy I feel phlegmy and bloated (TMI?) and when I eat wheat and sugar I feel anxious, overwhelmed and depressed. Yuck! This is the third time I'm doing the Whole 30 and let me tell you, each time I did it in the past I felt so amazing!!! It truly is transformational! I want to feel like that all of the time!!!
  • Slaphapy74
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Jef and I'm in the US Navy Stationed in Naples, Italy.

I have been on and off the paleo diets for a few years. I have limited support at home and I think that leads to my falling off the diet and going back to my old food fixes.
    I feel great when I'm eating clean paleo foods. Here in Italy I do not speak Italian and find it hard to get the grass fed meat so I am going to hope what I can get is good enough until I make it back home to the States.
    I am starting out at 285 pounds or 129 Kilos and aim to get to 220 pounds or 95 Kilos. I look forward to loosing weight and getting healthy with you all.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lauren. I'm 5'2" and 189.5- I want to be 130-135. I got down to 161 last time I did Paleo and looked and felt amazing. I'm in St. Louis and glad to be part of the group.
  • eahouston
    eahouston Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Liz. I'm 29 years old, and I'm currently living in Toledo, Ohio, where I'm bored out of my mind haha. As soon as some family health issues have been resolved, I hope to move back to South Korea, where I spent the last 3 years teaching English. So bummed to record my starting weight this morning... I'd been just under 150 lbs. for several years, after a lot of hard work, and today I was back over 160. Needless to say, the transition of living at home with my parents has not been good for me mentally, emotionally, socially, physically, or in any way. I do know my family needs me, so I'm sticking it out, but I need to take care of myself again, and this challenge will help me refocus :)

I think I've convinced my mom to get on board with Paleo eating. At least this month, she's going to give it a go with me, so that helps. I reorganized the kitchen, so we have a "No" cupboard now. Certainly easier when I'm living alone and I don't buy/have tempting foods, but I think this will be enough.

Sorry, I'm realizing this isn't the most positive of introductions. It's just been rough lately. Just got back from sitting around the hospital all day while my dad just sleeps. It gets old making a 2-hour round trip to sit and do nothing each day, and he's basically been between hospital and rehab since June. We packed our lunch today, so we're making Paleo work with the routine :) Going to get a good workout in after dinner!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Cindy and I have been Paleo/Primal for about 5 years now. I fall off track a lot and need to work on consistency. I am gluten intolerant and believe I am allergic to dairy, yet have been eating it anyway. I need to get that back out of my life along with junk food (which to me is fast food, packaged stuff, Gluten Free products, chips, fries, etc.). I am 40, married, and have no kids (other than my fur babies). We live in Upstate NY near Rochester.
  • ElisaMicciulli
    ElisaMicciulli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Elisa. I am 42 and live in Staten Island, New York. I will be married 20 years in February and have three children. Today is my 83rd day eating Paleo. I started eating Paleo as a means to lose weight. I gained over 30 pounds over the last 5 years. I have been in the 115 - 120 pound range after having my third child (before children I was a steady 101 pounds) and when starting Paleo I weighed in at my highest ever (besides being pregnant) at 153.2 My last weigh in was last Monday and I was 147.6 I am motivated to lose weight and my goal is to be under 140lbs. for my daughter's Sweet Sixteen on February 7th. I LOVE dairy and I love coffee with half and half or vanilla creamer. My goal is to stick to 2 cups of coffee per day (rather than 4 cups per day) and stop eating dairy all together. I gave it up cold turkey at the start of Paleo and it weazled its way back in slowly but surely when I read primal allows dairy.

Good luck to all!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Hello, I joined a bit late. I'm Adele, I am a 38 year old who lives in Columbus, Ohio. I found paleo in November 2012. I am not as consistent as I need to be, but I come back to paleo as i feel so amazing! I would like to lose 80 pounds but my main goal is becoming more healthy and fit. I started my reset yesterday and on a day 2.
  • sunshine5610
    sunshine5610 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all - joining late as well. My name is Kasey, from New England area. Soon to be 24. Former D1 athlete so working out is inconsistent nowadays. Trying Paleo for the first time, started Jan 3. Currently around 155-160 and 5'7", aiming to lose approx. 20 lbs in time for the summer! More so for personal confidence than anything else. Looking forward to the 30 day challenge with you all!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Kim and I'm from Maine. I started my "reset" yesterday and found this group today. I started paleo (and drifted to primal - cheese, nuff said) in Aug. 2013 to see if I could fix my digestive issues. Doc ran out of tests and just suggested trying gluten free, so why not go paleo, right? Amazing results - feeling better than I ever have. At 50, that's quite an accomplishment. Read lots of books - Paleo Solution, Death by Food Pyramid, It starts with food, wheat belly, grain brain....currently reading primal blueprint - so I have a good understanding of what I'm putting into my body now. Anyhoo, seriously fell off the wagon this holiday season and need to jump back on. I'm looking forward to following you all on this journey. Here's to 2015!!
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Louise, I am 43 years old and I live in North Georgia. I am in desperate need of a restart as the holidays were a bit overboard in the food department. It always starts small but ends in tragedy. I think I'm okay if I eat homemade Christmas cookies but the sugar cravings eventually lead me to the land of pop tarts and Oreos.