How to get steps to calculate into daily exercise portion of myfitnesspal

Options
Hello all,

Can someone tell me how do I get my steps from my Fitbit to calculate into my daily exercise? It shows me the calories for each day after I sync it, but it doesn't show up as actual exercise (calories). Please help and thanks!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. You get a Fitbit calorie adjustment under "Exercise" for the difference between your Fitbit burn (which is your TDEE) and your MFP activity level.

If you don't have an adjustment, then you've burned fewer calories than your activity level. Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If you still don't get an adjustment, verify your accounts are connected: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Add the exercise into myfitnesspal and make sure the time and calories are correct. You should see the exercise show up on the Fitbit site as you entered it. The system will make the adjustment.
  • sureitsgrand
    Options
    Hi dsimmons and editorgrrl- can I just confirm something with you?

If I wear my Flex when doing a run and use MapMyFitness, which then in turn syncs with MyFitnessPal, will Fitbit recognise that I've been doing exercise and stop counting steps?

i.e. will it know not to double account for my activity (steps AND exercise)?
  • jbraby72
    Options
    I was trying this in the gym today where I just ran with my flex on, it actually calculated the distance pretty close to the running machine so I just left it at that. I added the excercise manually into MyFitnessPal fitness section and it did adjust the excercise I entered away from the the steps from fitbit.
  • j0nh
    j0nh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you're saying it doesn't double count, right?

thanks
    Jon
    jbraby72 wrote: »
    I was trying this in the gym today where I just ran with my flex on, it actually calculated the distance pretty close to the running machine so I just left it at that. I added the excercise manually into MyFitnessPal fitness section and it did adjust the excercise I entered away from the the steps from fitbit.

• editorgrrl
    Options
    Hi dsimmons and editorgrrl- can I just confirm something with you?

If I wear my Flex when doing a run and use MapMyFitness, which then in turn syncs with MyFitnessPal, will Fitbit recognise that I've been doing exercise and stop counting steps?

i.e. will it know not to double account for my activity (steps AND exercise)?

I would link MapMyFitness to Fitbit—not to MFP. So MMF > Fitbit > MFP.
  • MaryinColorado
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    That's not how it works. You get a Fitbit calorie adjustment under "Exercise" for the difference between your Fitbit burn (which is your TDEE) and your MFP activity level.

If you don't have an adjustment, then you've burned fewer calories than your activity level. Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If you still don't get an adjustment, verify your accounts are connected: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

I don't know what a TDEE is & I don't have a degree in mathematics. All I know is this is WAY too complicated. I'm just going to try to eat less & exercise more. If I weigh less in a few months I'll know that worked.

Best of luck to all of you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    j0nh wrote: »

thanks
    Jon

Does not.

In fact, if a workout syncs from MFP or other app/site, directly to Fitbit, it only replaces the calories, not the distance or steps.

But if you manually log it in Fitbit, it replaces all 3 for walking and running only.
    All other activities manually logged, it's as if synced in, only calories is replaced.
  • heybales
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I don't know what a TDEE is & I don't have a degree in mathematics. All I know is this is WAY too complicated. I'm just going to try to eat less & exercise more. If I weigh less in a few months I'll know that worked.

Best of luck to all of you!

Not really that complicated.

How will you know you are eating less, and exercising more?

By logging, one or both?

Just got more complicated. But very true, your method works wonders with no need for any extra devices or logging. Merely find 250 calories daily you can stop eating that you normally would.
    Then start exercising.
    Done.
  • captjac97
    captjac97 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    j0nh wrote: »

thanks
    Jon

Does not.

In fact, if a workout syncs from MFP or other app/site, directly to Fitbit, it only replaces the calories, not the distance or steps.

But if you manually log it in Fitbit, it replaces all 3 for walking and running only.
    All other activities manually logged, it's as if synced in, only calories is replaced.

My question is the same...Only I love the elliptical.. Do I log in MFP or Fitbit? Does the elliptical count as steps or exercise? Do I want to get my steps (10,000 goal) and do elliptical and other exercise on top of steps? Need advice here...
  • lml124
    lml124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    captjac97, I love the elliptical as well. I'm logging it in fitbit, although I don't think you "have" to as your steps increase anyway. If you look at fitbit dashboard, you'll see it doesn't add additional steps for logging - which is perfect.
    I'm also curious if it's "OK" to include my exercise in my step goal. If I don't, some days I would do terribly :/
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    lml124 wrote: »
    I'm also curious if it's "OK" to include my exercise in my step goal. If I don't, some days I would do terribly :/

It's entirely a matter of personal preference—like whether or not to include coffee & tea in your water intake.

• heybales
    Options
    captjac97 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Does not.

My question is the same...Only I love the elliptical.. Do I log in MFP or Fitbit? Does the elliptical count as steps or exercise? Do I want to get my steps (10,000 goal) and do elliptical and other exercise on top of steps? Need advice here...

Log in Fitbit. If the machine has your weight entered in (best to do that anyway), then use it's calorie burn estimate. Otherwise select intensity Fitbit offers.

There is no steps "or" exercise. Steps receives a calorie count based on distance estimated based on stride length.

Not really sure on question there.

If wearing the device, usually an inaccurate low-ball step count will be seen on the elliptical.

Your choice if you want exercise "steps" to count towards daily activity steps. Some do take it off for workouts, only wanting to track daily steps to get an idea of staying active. Exercise being it's own goals. Those folks usually don't do competitions, but recognize the better benefit of exercise over merely attempting to get steps for a contest.
  • Chica650
    Chica650 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm soon confused! I read somewhere on here that to only log exercise in MFP AND to not count step-based exercise b/c Fitbit already counts those...now I'm reading something totally different??

Yesterday I walked for a mile and did the elliptical for a mile. Should I have logged all of that in MFP? Or no? I did and it told me that I could eat up to 2000 calories. I didn't feel that was accurate, so I only ate my 1300 calories (actually, 1500 b/c I figured that I had a calorie deficit of 200 w/the exercise). I know that in the past, I've had the problem of not losing weight b/c I wasn't eating ENOUGH and I just want to find the balance that I need to start losing again.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Chica650 wrote: »
    I'm soon confused! I read somewhere on here that to only log exercise in MFP AND to not count step-based exercise b/c Fitbit already counts those...now I'm reading something totally different??

Yesterday I walked for a mile and did the elliptical for a mile. Should I have logged all of that in MFP? Or no? I did and it told me that I could eat up to 2000 calories. I didn't feel that was accurate, so I only ate my 1300 calories (actually, 1500 b/c I figured that I had a calorie deficit of 200 w/the exercise). I know that in the past, I've had the problem of not losing weight b/c I wasn't eating ENOUGH and I just want to find the balance that I need to start losing again.

Here's how logging ANY exercise in MFP when syncing with a Fitbit really works:

Let's say that you are using the elliptical for 30 minutes. You start at 5:04pm and end at 5:34pm. During that half hour, Fitbit counts 2,000 steps for you, and says that you burned 200 calories in that time (I am TOTALLY making up numbers, this is just an example, I have absolutely no idea how many steps or calories one might actually earn. Also applies to any following numbers).

However, regardless of whether or not your step count is accurate (somewhat irrelevant in this particular scenario unless you're REALLY super worked up about knowing exactly how many steps you take every single day, including all exercise), you believe that you actually burned 350 calories - could be based on what the elliptical tells you, or your heart rate monitor, or whatever you think is more accurate than your Fitbit. Therefore, you would go into MFP and log an exercise. You would make sure to enter the exactly correct start time and duration (this is why logging an "activity" using your Fitbit is recommended and very useful here: in case you don't remember the exact time/duration, you can see it in your Fitbit account), and tell MFP that you burned 350 calories in 30 minutes starting at 5:04pm. MFP would then sync that information over to Fitbit, where it would REPLACE whatever Fitbit thought you were doing for those 30 minutes. It would add 350 calories to your daily burn, but it would also remove the original 200. (I honestly can't remember if it will remove those 2,000 steps as well - I rarely log activities. I think it does, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

So, in the case where the step count captured by Fitbit is more or less accurate (most "step-based" activities such as walking or running), you're probably best off just letting Fitbit do the work. For other cardio where you're working harder than your steps might indicate (elliptical, biking, incline running, Zumba, whatever), it's up to you if you want to override that. Typically Fitbit is going to underestimate that stuff, so I tend to just leave it and consider any extra effort a bonus, but it's personal preference.

Also, as long as the exercise calories you logged in MFP are accurate, and as long as you entered accurate start times and durations, your calorie goal should be accurate (up to the point your original settings were accurate, and within whatever margin of error due to various estimations, at least).

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    if I'm doing an exercise that I know I'm going to override fitbits calories for, I just set the activity timer on my fitbit, so I get an exact start and stop time. Then I enter the activity on MFP for those exact times and delete the activity on the fitbit side.
  • newmein16
    newmein16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So... If I walk/run on the treadmill does turning the activity timer on matter? I started on the treadmill yesterday and forgot to turn the timer on until 12 min into my activity. I didn't change my log at all. Should I have?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    newmein16 wrote: »
    So... If I walk/run on the treadmill does turning the activity timer on matter? I started on the treadmill yesterday and forgot to turn the timer on until 12 min into my activity. I didn't change my log at all. Should I have?

The activity timer doesn't matter at all no matter what you're doing, as far as your logs are concerned. It exists only to be a convenience function for the user - if you want to record stop/start times to enter into MFP or if you just want to see them and have a record of how long you worked out. Doesn't affect your calorie burn/calculation/adjustment one bit in and of itself regardless of if you use it or not. Really it will only impact your log if you ARE altering a period of activity via MFP and you enter incorrect start times/durations because you didn't use the timer.

(Side note - at least on the One, not sure about other models, you do use the same timer for sleep, in which casess it does have another use beyond convenience if you choose to track your sleep, though it still won't impact your calories in or out.)
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd suggest if you are using the activity tracking function - while you are already there in Fitbit looking at start time and duration, just manually log the workout in Fitbit with your better calorie burn figure.

There are always enough syncing issues that adding one more back and forth to the syncing by doing it in MFP is asking for issues for the majority.
    newmein16 wrote: »

It merely lets you separate the block of time on Fitbit as a workout for later review. Otherwise the increased steps and calorie burn are just there in the day.

But if you are going to manually log a non-step based workout, then it can be useful too for letting you know the start time to use.

Like you, I've many times done a set of warm up squats and then realize I forgot to notice the time, and with the Zip I have no activity timer to use, I gotta remember.
  • heybales
    Options
    Chica650 wrote: »

You can manually log workouts in MFP or Fitbit. If done in MFP, you are adding in another sync that must take place before MFP gets back a corrected daily calorie burn for possible adjustment to eating goal.
    With the syncing issues going on - probably not suggested.

And the post you are getting confused on was talking about elliptical - which is not step based. Your feet go around like a bike. Smooth, and possibly very inaccurate for steps.

But beyond steps, the formula that fitbit uses for calorie burn is ONLY for walking/running and distance seen - that doesn't apply to elliptical, or biking, or swimming, or rowing, or lifting. Hence the need to manually log it.

When you logged the walking for 1 mile - did you pick the correct speed that you actually did the WHOLE mile?
    And if you logged elliptical manually on Fitbit, you'd be given selection of intensity levels for better accuracy, MFP only has 1.