Why some Thin do not get Fat

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
https://youtube.com/watch?v=dAQr77QMJiw

While the music was not to my taste but this hour long BBC Doc about two forced eating studies. One was in the USA long ago and one was at a UK college in 2012 maybe.

It has a lot of weight loss info as well. Most all gained weight over the 4 weeks of eating 2X maintenance. They lost all gained weight in the following 4 weeks with no calorie restriction or other type dieting effort. That drove home the set point concept in my mind.

They did confirm obese kids develop extra fat cells and if they do lose weight they may have to go hungry the rest of their lives because ALL of the fat cells will scream to be refilled as I took it. I take it that researcher did not know about nutritional ketosis.

If interested take a look at it. I learned more diet science in that hour than ever before but in part because it tied up a lot of loose ends from other readings.

I also posted this link over on the Other Side under Weight Gain.

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=dAQr77QMJiw

While the music was not to my taste but this hour long BBC Doc about two forced eating studies. One was in the USA long ago and one was at a UK college in 2012 maybe.

It has a lot of weight loss info as well. Most all gained weight over the 4 weeks of eating 2X maintenance. They lost all gained weight in the following 4 weeks with no calorie restriction or other type dieting effort. That drove home the set point concept in my mind.

They did confirm obese kids develop extra fat cells and if they do lose weight they may have to go hungry the rest of their lives because ALL of the fat cells will scream to be refilled as I took it. I take it that researcher did not know about nutritional ketosis.

If interested take a look at it. I learned more diet science in that hour than ever before but in part because it tied up a lot of loose ends from other readings.

I also posted this link over on the Other Side under Weight Gain.
    Gale;

Very good "contribution" to the font of knowledge - if you would, please add it to the "Request for Submissions - Videos" thread so it will get added to the Launch Pad.

I really do want to be able to "buy in" to the "set point concept" for a couple of reasons.

First, if true, it would not only confirm that at least to some degree there is good reason to suggest that setting artificial "target goals" that are substantially below one's set point, is probably not a good approach (nor would it be likely to be sustainable).

Second, because I do respect my Cardio's opinion and knowledge, and he's a proponent of the concept. While I've argued the point with him on a number of occasions, I'd be happy to be able to agree with him, IF I can be convinced.

Problem is, there is just too much controversy and too many conflicting points of view - even among those advocating based on what I'd consider "solid science" (as it appears this study is).

If you haven't already seen this video, take a look. It's a Gary Taubes lecture. While he is not a science or medical researcher, he is a long term "researcher of the researchers" and bases his talks (and beliefs) on a very thorough knowledge of the complete body of knowledge.
    Taubes Cornell Lecture 2014

His speech doesn't address the "set point" concept specifically, but in it he does describe a number of studies that call into question both the whole set point idea, and the degree to which the "genetically predetermined" concept espoused in the BBC video, applies.

What jumped out to me in the BBC video was the fact that the study group appeared to all be young adults, and as a group, significantly closer to "lean" and of "ideal" overall health markers, then the population as a whole.

That's not a "bad" thing, of course, but it's also not representative sample of either our group or the general population.

To what degree the conclusions of this particular study influenced the opinions and beliefs of the various doctors/researchers that commented though, is a question I don't think we can answer.

How far the conclusions can be extended to the overall population though, remains troubling for me.

My guess is that, as in the case with a number of the "details" of LCHF, LC, VLCHF, or many of the other "options", it's entirely possible that *both* points of view might be correct - to varying degrees and in different individuals.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    At this point I am OK with the 'set point' concept but do expect research may shine some light on what is making the 'set point' concept happen.

The college kids were healthy and within four weeks without dieting they snapped back to their weight of 8 weeks prior.

In 2011 I dropped from 250 to 220 in 6 weeks then regained it over the next year. When I got back down to 220 in Oct 2014 it was like 220 was set in stone but did some IF first part of Dec and finally got down to my current 215 which is a 20 year low for me.

It is the Vit D3 story that has my attention a the moment with MD's stating the world population is very low on Vit D3 and it causes sleep issues that leads to the metabolic syndrome health issues now in all developed countries. I will post that video here soon to get this groups take on its validity.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited January 2015
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=QTNFJnG_6ME&list=PLA2B229C42784AD73

I found it. This was from about 2012 where this doctor was speaking at a medical convention in TX. It is about an hour long but has been broken into 5 parts and there is NO background music in these videos. :) It is about Sleep and Vit D

Edit. All parts are good but part 3 is where she really starts hitting health issues from low Vit d.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

I just added an edit for people short on time.

Edit. All parts are good but part 3 is where she really starts hitting health issues from low Vit d.

Thanks.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Anxious to listen to the videos. Will make time for this tomorrow.

I did have serious sleep issues for years. I am sure it is an added issue to my weight gain. I have been listening to tracks on youtube Jason Stephenson comes to mind as one of my favorites. I can hook up to my kindle or Nook with headphones and I am asleep in less then 10 minutes. I usually wake to take headphones off and flip the lid on the music boxes and go right back to sleep. It is so wonderful for me to finally get good restful sleep.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Then watch the video on sleep first. She thinks sleep issues is the leading cause of the entire metabolic syndrome issues today. Part #3 gets more focused on this matter if you are pressed for time and you can watch one and two later.

I got a CPAP machine in 2004 because I thought it would be worth a shot since so many in my family had them and I snored (not all people that snore have sleep apnea). It was amazing how it improved my health and even now I do not leave home without mine. She has some patients that came off of them when their Vit D3 levels got into the 60-80 range but others do not she stated.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have central sleep apnea.. Basically my brain resets so many times during sleep that my autonaumic nervous system forgets to breath. I'm suppose to wear a cpap but I signed a medical waiver not to use one. As a side effect I have elevated prolactin levels and cortisol. When I first discovered the prolactin levels I'd been following a low fat low calorie diet and at least an hour of cardio a day, the Dr checked only my thyroid (which was fine) so I did some research and requested a prolactin test. Turns out the stress from not productively sleeping kept me in metabolic coma. Carb restriction is the only way I can convince my body to let go of fat.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well I ended up watching the Atkins one first then the thin one and tomorrow I will watch the sleep one It is well past my bed time. Very interesting. I was adopted and found my birth family at 32. All of us were pretty thin almost 33 years ago and at that time I had been on Atkins about 10 years so I was almost alarmingly thin and some times having trouble hanging onto 100 pounds. Then the years went by and all of us are obese. Some of us more so than others I am still one of the thinner ones but still obese. This goes for my Aunts to. Not so much my uncles. But as a child I do remember being sent to school with my diet lunch of cottage cheese and jello because after I was 4 years old and had my tonsils out I suddenly had a weight problem.

I know my husbands nurse flat out said to me it is my fault I am so fat it is CICO done deal. It really hurt my feelings. I hope I get to see her next June and I will be thin. Part of my problem was being off my thyroid because of lack of insurance. Part of it I think is heredity. MY Mom and Father were also very heavy. Mom not so much now because she had a medical problem and lost a lot of weight. Father died in May but the last time I saw him he was about 250 and about 5 foot 9 inches tall;