Calorie Killer Trainers - CHALLENGE (Wk 14 1/3-1/7)

Options
writemusic4him
writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Hi Everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. I've got a working used computer now, so here we go.

It's the new year, and I'm sure you made your new years resolution. Sometimes that can be depressing. How many different new years resolutions have we made over the years that we never completed...even ones not weightloss related.

And if you are like me, you are "depressed" at not only not meeting your goal but gaining back what you had lost. And now you are starting out another year starting all over.

PART 1: What is your New Years goal for weightloss, diet and exercise? Did you meet your last year resolution...fully, partially, not at all?

PART2: What were the obstacles that caused you to not meet your goals last year? Did you let work get in the way or got bored or what?

PART3: What is your SMART plan for this year? What are your plans to overcome the obstacles you let stop you last year?

S - specific
M - measurable
A - achievable
R - realistic
T - timely

PART 4: What are your healthy rewards for meeting your goals? Something realistic. Will you go ice-skating after losing 10 pounds. Or buy a new outfit after 30 pounds?

Optional: This doesn't count for points but if you want to go along with the athlete theme, I've been crying my eyes out at the movie "Cool Runnings" (Jamaican bobsled team) while writing this. A Jamaican bobsled team faces challenges and adversity to go to the Olympics and compete. They have trouble getting started, then practicing (no snow in Jamaica), and then competing (have the equipment) and then even winning. I won't ruin the ending for you, but a lot of parallels that can be drawn to weightloss. Do you have the passion, drive, persistence, diligence, work ethic, etc. they do? Or sorry for the language.... do you half-*kitten* it?

(one point per part)

Replies

• writemusic4him
    Options
    Part 1:

Last year my new years goal was to finish losing my weight. And I started the year off great. By my sister's bridal shower in April I was looking all slim and feeling great about how I was looking. I detoxed then did an elimination diet and did about 1-2hrs cardio a day. By her wedding in June I was still doing good. Then during & after the wedding I got off track. Started a new job & still didn't get back on track. Started not feeling well & just used that as an excuse to not do anything anymore. And just kept gaining back all I lost in the first half of the year.

PART 2:

Obstacles were emotions and not feeling well. It seemed pointless to be being healthier if I was not feeling or getting any healthier and just gave up. And I got bored of walking as that is all I can physically do. And even that got hard because my hip & knees hurt.

PART 3:

I am only aiming to lose 1 pound per week as I plan to ease into it again and don't know how long it will take me to try all these things the doctors want me to. If I just do what I can there is no reason why I couldn't lose 1 pound per week, which would be 4lbs per month. Tough part will not let myself get bored & frustrated.

I will do what worked for me last year. Detox then special diet. And then after more medical tests, will see what happens next.
  • 12qw34
    12qw34 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Part 1
    I want to lose 30lbs. My children make their First Communion in April and I turn 50 in September.
    I am finding what worked for me to lose weight when I was younger is not working for me now. I have given up alcohol until I reach my goal of 140lbs. I also plan on exercising and eating more meals and not waiting until I am hungry and snacking on unheathy food.
    Part 2
    I work 2nd shift Monday, Tuesday and Wedesday and my schedule for eating can be unstructured. I also have a some what stressful job. I deal with money transactions and insuring others do not make mistakes. Fortunately, I have a new boss my formor boss micromanaged and was difficult to work with.
    Part 3
    Use MFP and the support of my friends. The Biggest loser has been great and I will be doing an Easter challenge.
    i have a gym buddy and very good health. I need to eat less and move more in 2015!
  • lifeisspiffy
    lifeisspiffy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    PART 1: Goal for 2015 is to be able to run a 5k. Not walk, run. My dad runs all the time (56 races this year including 5k, 10k, and marathons). I would like to be able to go with him to a race and finish in less than double his time. He runs in about 21 minutes. So my goal is to run a 5k in under 42 minutes. Hopefully this will also help me look and feel better and maybe lose about 10 pounds.

PART2: I get lazy. I started pretty well, going to Planet Fitness a couple times a week but then it gets boring. I don't have a concrete plan when I go to the gym, just go on a cardio machine for 15-20 minutes, maybe do some weights. Not having a plan makes me lazy and bored so I need to start coming up with exactly what I'm going to do.

PART3: Plan for this year is to start easy with going to the gym once a week and going to volleyball on Mondays. I will also be looking into some fitness videos on youtube or getting dvd/videogame. I will do a home workout once a week. At the gym, I will go on the treadmill for 20 minutes. As the year progresses, I will re-evaluate my schedule and go to the gym multiple times during the week.
    I will look into workout routines to prevent boredom and indecision.

PART 4: When I meet my goal, I will buy myself an awesome workout outfit. Some new party pants (leggings) and a new running top.
  • writemusic4him
    Options
    When making & tracking your new years goals, you might find tools like this helpful. Check it out at:

http://simplerootswellness.com/7-steps-to-forming-resolutions-that-last/
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Part 1: I actually don't tend to make goals for the New Year. I have 29lbs left until I get to my first weight goal, so I guess that can be my goal for 2015 (although I really don't care if it takes me until 2017 to reach it...as long as I eventually get there).
    Didn't make a goal for 2014. ~ I make goals, but generally not around New Years.

Part 2: I didn't have a New Year's goal last year. Spent 5 months of last year pregnant. I did make a goal at the end of my pregnancy and that was to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight so that I could continue where I left off in 2013. I was hoping to be my pre-pregnancy weight by Jan 19 (my birthday) and well I hit it back in Nov (11lbs lighter now).

Part 3: I'm just going to continue what I've been doing, because it works for me.

Part 4: I don't have any reward plans. I will probably need new clothes though when I'm done with weight loss.
  • 12qw34
    12qw34 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Part 4 buy new summer clothes and feel more confident in them!
  • writemusic4him
    Options
    I wish we could like posts :)
  • Mspmpayne
    Mspmpayne Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    PART 1: What is your New Years goal for weightloss, diet and exercise? Did you meet your last year resolution...fully, partially, not at all?

I did better than I anticipated last year by dropping 80 lbs. =) I just so sick of being sick and tired. Going into the 2014 last Jan I was depressed, couldn't do much of anything and
    had eaten my way (AGAIN) through the holidays. Around Feb I signed up for MFP, then promptly forgot about it. I think around April I got serious again. By August I kicked it up and now I am very happy with the results. My goals for 2015 is to get down to 155. I will try to lose 30lbs by the end of March. I have a goal to bump up the cardio this year. I will continue with my food plan since it seems to be working.

PART2: What were the obstacles that caused you to not meet your goals last year? Did you let work get in the way or got bored or what?

I did better than I thought, but my main obstacles were holidays and vacations.

PART3: What is your SMART plan for this year? What are your plans to overcome the obstacles you let stop you last year?

S - specific
    M - measurable
    A - achievable
    R - realistic
    T - timely

Get down to my goal weight this year. If I take the whole year to do it, that's only 1 lb a week. Definitely achievable! Try to incorporate some of the foods (in small amounts) into my diet year long so I don't go bananas when I see them during holidays. Maybe be depriving myself of them throughout the year it made me go crazy for them during the holidays.

PART 4: What are your healthy rewards for meeting your goals? Something realistic. Will you go ice-skating after losing 10 pounds. Or buy a new outfit after 30 pounds?

I will probably buy some new clothes and once I meet my 30 lb goal, I am going to sign up for a silver jewelery or glass making class at the local arts center. =)
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Part 1 - My first goal for 2015 weight-wise is to get back to my former "racing" weight of 175. I only have 47 pounds to go! :-) Last year I was VERY unmotivated and had no goals whatsoever. Thankfully, this year is a completely different story! :-)

Part 2 - Again, I had no goals last year. However once I decided that I was going to get control of my life again, I set an unrealistic goal of being under 200 pounds for Christmas. My bout of serious depression that followed my major vertigo attack really set me back. In some ways, I just started getting back to where I was in mid November (around the time of my vertigo attack).

Part 3 - (S) Get to 175 pounds. I only have 47 pounds to meet this goal and it's a very realistic goal. (M) My trusty scale is the tool for making it measurable. (A) My goal is definitely achievable. There is no reason why I cannot reach my goal. (R) My doctor and I both believe this is a realistic goal. I'm looking forward to seeing my doctor again so he can see my progress. (T) I really didn't want to put a timeline on it, but I suppose if I have to declare a date, my goal to reach 175 pounds will be July 4th. I have a friend that has a HUGE July 4th blowout (pun intended) every year. He never saw me when I was over 300 pounds, but he knows of my weight gain and my subsequent efforts to start racing again. The main reason I didn't go to his July 4th celebration in 2014 is because I was SO embarrassed of my weight.

Part 4 - I recently put a high-end GPS/fitness "watch" on my Amazon wishlist. I seriously doubt if I'll be able to afford it when I reach my "racing" weight, but there's always a chance that a family member will help me buy it (I'm VERY lucky that way!). That would be an awesome reward!

Extra - We've all faced various instances of adversity along our ways to fitness. This past year I encountered serious knee pain, foot pain, a major vertigo attack, and a bout of deep depression. The knee pain has improved, but now I've developed pain behind my knee. I'm trying to self-treat it by doing stretches/exercises that are supposed to help alleviate the pain. My foot pain is ongoing. Basically, every step I take feels like I'm stepping on a marble (that's right, with all the running I do). Without getting into why I'm so mad at my podiatrist (this should have been cleared up by now), let's just say that within 12 weeks I should be pain free in this area. My vertigo continues to be a challenge. I've not been good about doing my "vertigo exercises" and I really need to make this a habit. Currently there's no way I could safely ride my bicycle (even if we were having temps in the 60's). Fighting depression is a real struggle for a lot of people and I'm one of them. I'm not currently on any meds (besides ibuprofen) and I want to keep it that way. I've found the best thing for my depression is weight loss and sunlight. I've been using my "SAD" light for weeks now and I suppose it's made a difference. My challenge is to not fall back into a depressive state and try to keep my goals in mind... every day.
This discussion has been closed.