Stress - How Do You Deal With It?

Options
Now that I've got a few months of taking the correct dose of Armour and vitamins I am feeling so much better. One huge issue I still struggle with is stress. I do have a high stress job (but I love it). I'm a single mom of 2 teenagers. I don't date because I honestly don't have the time or patience for it at 51. My father and Step Mom are in Colorado and I'm in Texas so other than one extremely awesome ex-husband (yes, he really is) it's all on me. My doctor told me I was going to HAVE to get a handle on my stress as it is affecting my healing and dealing with Hashimoto's and Adrenal Burnout.

I am going to sign up for a yoga class that starts next Friday but it's only one day a week. I've also cleaned off my treadmill, and loaded up my song playlists with music that I love and makes me happy, making walking more enjoyable.

I'm trying to sleep more but that's a hard one still.

Do any of you have and suggestions or ideas? I know I tend to seriously overreact on the inside to things that don't justify it. For instance, my boss says to me "you have a minute to meet me in the conference room" and I swear you would think I was walking the plank to my death. My heart pounds, my chest gets tight and my breathing is short and all she wanted to know was what I had on my plate for the rest of the week because she knows I'm over worked. I swear it feels like that one instance took at least 2 years off my life. I guess maybe I need to work on stress AND worrying (doom and gloom attitude and all lol).

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yoga is great for stress reduction. You may need to shop around to find a teacher, style, room & classmates that work for you.

Meditation is really, really hard, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Again, it took me a lot of trial & error. (And I'm starting a class on Friday, too.) Here are some of the free apps & mp3s I've tried:
    Headspace http://www.headspace.com
    Calm.com
    1 Giant Mind http://1giantmind.org
    UCLA free guided meditations http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

And it sounds naff (cheesy), but I listen to streaming radio stations that play nature sounds (birdsong, running water, etc.). And I just found a free app that lets you mix your own sounds together, Relax Melodies:
    http://www.ipnossoft.com/app/relax-melodies/
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you for the links and ideas. I actually just got one of those Homedics Envirascape relaxing mini rock waterfall things so I could totally do nature sounds. And my Dad has been telling me to try meditation for a while so thanks for reminding me!

10 years ago I decided to try a yoga class at my rec center (it was MUCH cheaper then too - wowsa). I walked in and there sat this swami guy complete in robe and headdress. I remember thinking that first time that it was the oddest thing and that yoga was nothing like I expected and exactly what I needed. I continued taking his classes for several years and fizzled out when my kids became teenagers and life got busy. He's still there, every Friday night teaching 1-1/2 hours of yoga so I know I'll be good with him. And now that marching band and high school Friday night games are over I thought I'd go back. Ironically, my daughter has a dive meet this Friday and so I may miss it. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I call knitting and crochet my "occupational therapy." And they keep my hands busy in front of the tv, too!

Any exercise is good for stress reduction—not just yoga. Yay, endorphins!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Running has done wonders for my stress and anxiety. It's even better when done outside.
    It's funny you mentioned yoga because I've wanted to take that up as well for the stress reduction...looks like your happy place is still there.

I'd also recommend Massage Therapy. It is well worth the money spent if you get a the right person. That does wonders for the mind and body. Especially if you deal with inflammation/joint/muscle pain.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This is tough for me too! Life is just stressful, even in a good way!
    I agree with the exercise route, find what works for you. Cycling is kind of a meditation for me. I get lost in my own world!
    Another thing mentioned to me was to watch caffeine levels. It basically causes an internal stress for the body.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is a challenge for me. The things that I do (or are in the process of incorporating) are long walks -- I find just walking out near my house is really calming. It also doesn't hurt that I live in a pretty picturesque area (Cali wine country). I also have a treadmill desk at work and that has helped just get the energy out and increase physical activity generally.

I do yoga on occasion -- for me, it's hot yoga -- but I'm not terribly consistent with it. I really love it, but it's a big time suck. It's 90 mins, then you have the clean-up (you sweat a ton) so by the time I do it after work, I'm not usually home until 8:30 or so and then eating dinner at well past 9. So, for this reason, I just don't do it nearly as often.

I also lift heavy 3x per week and I feel like this helps with stress a lot -- sometimes it just feels awesome to lift some really heavy weight and/or punch something (I'll do boxing or kickboxing from time to time).

But, what I'm really looking into trying to incorporate into my routine on a regular basis is mindfulness meditation. I used to think it was all a bunch of hooey, but since we're starting to see some serious research come out on it, I've changed my tune. I read Rewire Your Brain and it speaks volumes to the current neurological research out there for mindfulness meditation -- not only to reduce stress but also to "rewire" some of our reactions to stressful or hurtful situations which we've used as coping mechanisms over the years. It's quite fascinating. And, unlike some of the other ones, it's pretty easy to incorporate -- just 20 mins or less a day and can be done pretty much anywhere that's quiet.

As part of this, I've also been using some guided meditations from Deepak Chopra. He partnered with Oprah for some programs -- one was about Perfect Health, which was what got me interested. I download them onto my phone and listen to them at night to wind down. I always sleep the best when I do that.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you all so much! I feel so motivated now. Back to my treadmill, quiet time and knitting needles it is! I love hearing how you all have had success using different methods. Thank you for sharing.

I actually told my boss today that I loved her and I would work my tail off for her but that I was not going to bring work home on the weekends and evenings anymore. You could have heard a pin drop. It's not her fault though - we're a growing company and sooner or later (hopefully sooner) the owners will hire more bodies. Regardless I'm claiming back my time for me so that I can focus on my personal goals too.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I actually told my boss today that I loved her and I would work my tail off for her but that I was not going to bring work home on the weekends and evenings anymore. You could have heard a pin drop. It's not her fault though - we're a growing company and sooner or later (hopefully sooner) the owners will hire more bodies.

Regardless I'm claiming back my time for me so that I can focus on my personal goals too.

Hurray for finding work-life balance! I think of it like an oxygen mask on an airplane. You won't be any good to anybody else unless & until you take care of your own needs first.