fasting food ideas

Hi everyone
I have been on 5:2 on and off for 6 months and have lost weight

I find I have lost motivation due to a lack of ideas on what to eat on fast days

Can anyone give me their fast day plan's?

Thanks

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Pinterest or Google will come up with loads of ideas!

What's your current fast day look like?

I prefer to skip breakfast, have a miso soup lunch, and then have a 300-400 cal evening meal based around fish and vegtables.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    One of my faves is flavored Greek yogurts, i.e. Chobani. High in protein and flavor. Don't over eat because the containers are small. Love them.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    i was on it awhile ago and am starting back tomorrow
    i will have protein cereal from aldi with no fat milk
    2 cruskits with low fat cream cheese trianges
    a piece of oven fish with broccoli
    and a coke zero
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I stick to raw fruits and veggies (plain or dipped in mustard), and egg whites covered in hot sauce. I can eat quite a bit, its freaking delicious, healthy and all low cal.

Usually I stick to water or black tea until around 11:30, then have 4 boiled egg whites covered in hot sauce, plus a couple cups of raw veggies (today was brocoli and green beans) dipped in stone ground dijon. Ill snack on a piece of fruit around 2:30 and have a massive plate of veggies for dinner....prob more brocoli and some zuchini slices.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    that sounds very healthy good work.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    I generally skip breakfast and lunch. Keep myself super busy during the day and have about 400 calories for dinner. It is usually a large salad with fat free dressing, small steak, chicken breast, or fish, and half a sweet potato and always a portion of steamed veggies like broccoli, chard or spinach. I then have around 100 calories left for a night snack if I am hungry of a greek yogurt, pumpkin seeds or grapefruit.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    In the summer I use cucumber slices to munch on and in the fall/winter I make fresh cranberries with sucralose. I keep it in the fridge and have a half cup @ 30 calories. FULL of antioxidents and I like it a little tart. SF jello works too. Shiratake Yam noodles have no calories so if i am having a bad day I rinse those and "dry-fry" and eat with a little veggies to hold me over. Usually I just do what Angelamb1970 does. ^^^^^
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Almonds. I eat 10 or so a couple of times a day along with hot peppermint tea. Almonds are a natural appetite suppressant and packed full of good things for you. :)
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n11/full/ejcn2013184a.html#close
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    Almonds. I eat 10 or so a couple of times a day along with hot peppermint tea. Almonds are a natural appetite suppressant and packed full of good things for you. :)
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n11/full/ejcn2013184a.html#close

I love almonds and used to eat tons of them, but they are one of the things I pulled way back on when I started trying to lose weight because they are so caloric! Good to know that it's actually ok to enjoy them once in a while :smile:
  • gle8442
    edited January 2015
    Oh, and my fast day foods tend to include tons of veggies, prepared lots of different ways (fresh, cooked, pickled, pureed) for variety, as well as salty broths (instant miso but really any broth will do) and often an egg for protein. I try to avoid any sweets or carbs because I feel that they make me hungrier afterwards.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    gle8442 wrote: »
    Oh, and my fast day foods tend to include tons of veggies, prepared lots of different ways (fresh, cooked, pickled, pureed) for variety, as well as salty broths (instant miso but really any broth will do) and often an egg for protein. I try to avoid any sweets or carbs because I feel that they make me hungrier afterwards.

Pretty much what I do. Lots of veggie soups that I mix and match with white fish, shrimp, scallops or eggs. A two egg omlette with zucchini and tomato is always good too.

Just saw a documentary, stating pureed soups keep you fuller longer that soups with pieces or a plate of food as it takes longer for the water/veggie mix to leave the stomach and enter the intestines.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Hmmm...^^^^ I would have guessed it was the exact opposite!
  • flumi_f
    Me too. But they had a perforated bag and put the meals in there. The soup with bits and pieces as well as the meal with a big glass of water. ..the water just passed through the holes, thus not adding bulk and filling the stomach for long. A pureed soup is thicker and 'binds' the water a bit. More volume stays in the stomach for longer and keeps you full.

Intuitively I've been doing exactly that with my veggie soups :)
  • gle8442
    Ok, you are inspiring me... next fast day I'm going to do a puree :smile:
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    flumi_f wrote: »

Intuitively I've been doing exactly that with my veggie soups :)

I've been doing that as well. The family is loving the comforting soups too. Yesterday was fast day so for dinner I had two cups of Palak Shorba (Indian spinach soup). Each cup is just 45 calories.
  • flumi_f
    bumping it up...
  • flumi_f
    bumping