I ate gluten for 3 days straight after 3 years off.

I ate gluten three days in a row the first 2 days I was ok then was sick the 3rd day a half hour after I ate the gluten. The first 2 days I was fine. I dont get it. So then I had stomach cramps on and off for 3 days. I was testing myself to see if I could eat gluten again after 3 years off of it due to stomach cramping and anxiety issues. Apparently not. I really really don't need to eat gluten. That all to familiar stomach ache that won't go away. We'll I'm just glad I have a cure. (DONT EAT GLUTEN.)

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    I've been told that after you heal your gut you may be able to tolerate small amounts of gluten.
    I'm new to all this though, plenty to read and learn!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    If you are coeliac you can must stay gluten free. It can take a while for the damage to show.

I come from the era where they thought you grew out of it and from the age 7 was allowed to eat it. By the time I was 16 I was seriously ill and being treated for arthritis and skin disorders.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    It's kinda like people who need to take meds for depression... when they are, they feel better, so they think they don't need to follow the protocol. Quit taking the meds, and down they fall. You've been off for so long, you think you might be OK to have a little. Don't fool yourself. Re-glutening is BAD. Even if you don't seem to feel too rough, damage is being done in your GI tract. Why ruin your health for the sake of some bread or pizza (just an example)?
  • tlelizondo
    tlelizondo Posts: 45 Member
    I have similar issues in that sometimes I can eat something and seems to have no ill effect, but then after a few times the headaches and itchy skin and brain fog and joint pain hit. I have had the stomach "anxiety" feeling for many years. I always thought it was because "something was going to happen - I was excited, anxious or worried about something" I never thought of that as related to the gluten. I will pay more attention - still struggling to go completely GF
  • I've been primarily GF for over two years now. Best thing I ever did for myself!

I can TOLERATE a mild GF cheat snack/meal ... but that is IT. It just isn't worth it because if I keep ingesting foods with it, I end up sick the next day for hours and hours at a time. The systemic inflammation in your intestines is not worth it...

But put me in front of a quesadilla, I will sneak a few bites. Guar-uhn-teed! :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    GoGoGo_Girl: Try real corn tortillas for your quesadilla - GF and even yummier.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    My celiac symptoms where mild enough that I started cheating, I didn't always get the cramping and other GI symptoms. But recently I realized that I am getting other symptoms as well, including increased migraines and PMS that might cause a homicidal spree at work. So, for my safety (and for the safety of co-workers and patients) I decided I have to suck it up and really kick gluten for good. The inflammation just isn't worth the bread (my weakness).
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    My celiac symptoms where mild enough that I started cheating, I didn't always get the cramping and other GI symptoms. But recently I realized that I am getting other symptoms as well, including increased migraines and PMS that might cause a homicidal spree at work. So, for my safety (and for the safety of co-workers and patients) I decided I have to suck it up and really kick gluten for good. The inflammation just isn't worth the bread (my weakness).

Glad I'm not the only one who turns evil after gluten and pmt and gluten makes it double the fun.

• HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Fascinating how some symptoms are similar and others are totally different from one person to another. For me it was sluggishness, depression, PMS (well, before menopause), and the unending desire - no, need - to overeat. Every diet worked for me (usually they cut out the bread and pasta first) but it took an iron will which faltered after a few weeks. Now gluten free for almost twenty years it's still hard to lose weight; I did lose my pre- and post retirement 10 pounds and another 12 in about four months, now holding steady where I want to be.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Same thing here. It seems I can tolerate an occasional meal but that's about all before the migraines, brain fog, mood swings, increase in hot flashes (surgical menopause), and bricks in stomach feeling return. My issue with having the occasional meal/snack with gluten is that it rarely stops there, it's like it keeps calling me back for more even if I'm miserable. It's best if I just leave it alone or plan in advance EXACTLY how much and what I'll have for that very special meal (like Thanksgiving or Christmas). If I really plan for it then I can usually stick to that.
  • PamT150
    PamT150 Posts: 2 Member
    Becky, I've never heard anyone else say the gluten caused an increase in hot flashes. I cheated twice this week and I've noticed an increase in my hot flashes. I never connected the two things before. It's something for me to check into. Thanks.
  • HeartyHealthy
    HeartyHealthy Posts: 26 Member
    interesting much of what you all have shared
  • chrissyfitter
    chrissyfitter Posts: 67 Member
    I definitely have worse anxiety when I'm eating gluten. And stomach cramps. Also buckwheat bothers me.