Drop in supply with drop on the scale?

Options
Anyone having issues with the delicate balance of EBF and trying lose weight? I have been steady losing at least 1.5lbs for the past 3 weeks and I have noticed that I'm coming home from work with only 8oz of milk now, when I use to get 10 to 14oz of milk in a working day. I am also noticing that my baby is more fussy around bed time and I feel 'empty' and she appears to want more. I think I am going to take away the pacifier when I'm home to try and jump start my supply. I'm drinking at least 108oz of water a day and I am trying to eat my calories. I'm just struggling with this... my main goal is to EBF for a whole year. She is 7 months and is starting solid, however it is still semi experimental at the moment.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm actually about to leave this group because I weaned four months ago, but I was EBFing and couldn't lose weight to save my life! I gained a lot with my pregnancy, too, and only lost 20 lbs right off the bat. Anyway, I fought for the whole year I was BFing. Every time I dropped my calories to a point where I might lose weight, my supply suffered. So I would up my calories and not lose.

It was a frustrating year, and I couldn't wait to wean and lose weight, but then I'd feel bad about wanting to wean, etc, etc. It was a vicious cycle, and it's no fun when you're still fluffy on top of it! And then you have people who are like, "I thought BFing was supposed to make you lose weight." FRUSTRATING.

It really is a delicate balance, and you're not alone in this struggle! I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Lol! If so, Im on it because Ive always had an oversupply and mine is 2 now, with no signs of wanting to wean :yawn:
    I have found it hard to lose weight whilst bf too.
    Maybe aim for less than 1lb a week, to see if it improves your supply. A grumpy baby is much worse than not losing weight as quickly :wink: Best of luck.
    If it doesnt help, then don't beat yourself up. All babies are different, with different needs and you have breastfed for 7 months which is brilliant. xx
  • Karadia2014
    Options
    I've just started but I've decided to just complement more (I'm doing both, I exclusively pumped the first few weeks and then I stopped when I felt like it was okay to complement and when he started nursing by himself) because my nephrologist wants me to lose serious weight to help my single kidney recover from preeclampsia. If it wasn't a health issue, I'd probably try to re-up my calories and lose weight later while weaning, but I feel like I really need to focus on making mommy healthy right now. I still feel bad though. My point is I understand almost exactly what you're going through. Even when weightloss is prescripted, it's hard to think of yourself first, but sometimes, it's what you need. You could just aim to lose more slowly and see if that helps.

Best of luck!
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I've just returned to work and am only coming home with 7 maybe 8oz if I'm lucky. I've noticed the scale is moving a little faster too. Before I returned to work it was more or less a steady .5 - 1lb drop per week, now it's going a bit faster, maybe 1 - 1.5lbs per week. My LO is 3 months and we just introduced formula for bed time which I wanted to avoid but I just can't keep up!

I'm going to make an effort to drink tons more water and up my protein intake to see if that helps.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Have you tried with adding a pumping session?
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little old - but just in case you are still reading - yes, it is so tough to balance. I lost all but about 10lbs within the first 6 weeks and then couldn't lose anything (while still maintaining supply) until I stopped BFing. My daughter self weaned at about 12 months.
    The good news for me was that as soon as I stopped, I lost the remaining weight in just a couple weeks. I think there was the weight of the extra fluids and probably some general water retention.
    Instead of beating myself up about it, I focused my year of breastfeeding on getting fit, not losing weight. I figured that way when I was ready to lose weight again I would be able to burn a lot more calories through exercise. Good luck Mama!
  • intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started back to MFP since my son was born (he is 10 months) it doesn't sound like anyone has been able to find the right amount of calories to lose and still maintain supply...am I doomed? I am eating 2000 daily, nursing 6 to 8 times in 24 hours, and pumping 3 times daily (to help keep supply going). Any thoughts on how to succeed? Thanks!
  • intrepie
    Options
    In case anyone was wondering, I noticed a huge drop in my supply today :(
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So sorry intrepie. My baby's 10 months as well but she has gradually been nursing less and less. We practically only nurse at night and before naps now. Have you tried fenugreek or nursing teas?
  • intrepie
    Options
    So sorry intrepie. My baby's 10 months as well but she has gradually been nursing less and less. We practically only nurse at night and before naps now. Have you tried fenugreek or nursing teas?
    Hi! Congratulations on your little one :) I've started the tea and it is helping. I also upped my calories and I've found a good balance :) thank you!!