Just tell me what to eat!

Options
dawlfin318
dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
Hey, so I am looking for some meal plans. Please feel free to blast me with ideas for meals and snacks that add up to 20g of carbs/day. It has been 8yrs since I did Atkins and I know there has to be new science out there that I know nothing about.

I just know that the first two days suck, then the first two weeks are a bit tough but more doable. I know that I never seem to transition to phase two very well, that I want to stay in phase one (20 carbs/day) until I reach my goal because of course I want it fast- hard to slow the weight loss after the excitement of the initial loss in the first two weeks for me.

In the past I got into bad habits of goofing off on the weekend and then eating high fat low carb M-F. ( I know this is a bad cycle to get on and do not want to get back on that). Then I got sick- some neurological problem that they seem to think is mild MS. I feel like the yo-yo made me sick.

Then I want to get on to more healthy versions of the diet- adding proper veggies, nuts and berries eventually. And then get back to exercise mode too.

Honestly would love to get down to 129lb (from 169, but 140 would be nice too as I am soon to be 49yrs. old and am 5 foot 4).

I want some nutrition involved too to be able to stay on it without wreaking havoc on my health.

Thanks for your input.

-Dawlfin

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    Hey, so I am looking for some meal plans. Please feel free to blast me with ideas for meals and snacks that add up to 20g of carbs/day. It has been 8yrs since I did Atkins and I know there has to be new science out there that I know nothing about.

I just know that the first two days suck, then the first two weeks are a bit tough but more doable. I know that I never seem to transition to phase two very well, that I want to stay in phase one (20 carbs/day) until I reach my goal because of course I want it fast- hard to slow the weight loss after the excitement of the initial loss in the first two weeks for me.

In the past I got into bad habits of goofing off on the weekend and then eating high fat low carb M-F. ( I know this is a bad cycle to get on and do not want to get back on that). Then I got sick- some neurological problem that they seem to think is mild MS. I feel like the yo-yo made me sick.

Then I want to get on to more healthy versions of the diet- adding proper veggies, nuts and berries eventually. And then get back to exercise mode too.

Honestly would love to get down to 129lb (from 169, but 140 would be nice too as I am soon to be 49yrs. old and am 5 foot 4).

I want some nutrition involved too to be able to stay on it without wreaking havoc on my health.

Thanks for your input.

-Dawlfin
    Dawl;

Sorry, but "Just tell me what to eat!" really isn't the way it works.

Yes, there are "lists" of what to (and what not to) eat in the beginning stages - check out the reference to the approach one LCHF "guru", Dr Eric Westman, suggests in the "What about Fiber" thread (near the end).

Watch the youtube video linked to therein, maybe get his book for the "list" he refers to in the video.

You are correct that there have been "changes" in the A diet over the years (not all of which are for the better IMO) and indeed "newer science" has impacted the whole diet "space", LCHF probably more than any other.

You have "most" of it right when it comes to what you "know" coming back from your absence but to a degree there are some "common wisdom" myths interspersed.

For example, 20g/day carbs, "might" be the right number for YOU, or it "might not" be.

The "...2 days....2 weeks....and 20 carbs....initial loss..." comments and numbers, again "might be right" - might not. (just because they "were" right last time, things change with time, so too "might" they have)

We can't tell you that - only YOU can determine it for yourself.

What we "can" do, is help you along the way and offer suggestions that might help you get there but we can't "do it" for you - that's up to you.

You have much less to lose than many here (not a "bad" thing, of course) and while I would argue that despite the relatively "modest" weight loss requirements in your case, the long term "health benefits" of adopting an LCHF lifestyle (long term) is still "worth it", achieving and maintaining Nutritional Ketosis "probably" isn't a necessity and simply reducing total carb intake (with appropriate levels of fats and moderate proteins) would likely be "enough".

Another decision only YOU can make for yourself.

Sorry to not just copy/paste a "list" for you but my suggestions would be:
    1. Go watch the Westman video, (he's one of the co-authors of "The New Atkins Diet")
    2. Consider getting his book or at least taking a look at the "preview" and deciding,
    3. Check out the link to the FB group he refers to in the video,
    4. Read through some of the "back" threads here,
    5. Take a look at the growing list of resources in the LCD "Launch Pad" (click on the "The LCD Launch Pad - Start Here" announcement at the top of the page, and,
    6. Take a look at some of the many LCD member's food diaries that are "open" for ideas on what meals others are using successfully.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm aiming for 20g carbs or less; feel free to add as friend and you can see my food journal. Here's a brief recap of approx last 2 days, where carbs were actually under 20g (see journal), I'm still dialing things in so I'm not saying these examples are any where near perfect, but for carbs...OK.
    Bfast: 16 oz coffee with cream (2 TBSP) and coconut oil (1 TBSP), 2 eggs, TBSP cream, .75 oz sausage (a left over bit from earlier in week), 1/4 cup shredded cheese, scrambled in .75 TBSP butter
    Lunch: 1 oz pork skins; 2 cups arugula with full fat salad dressing; 3 oz roasted turkey rolled around 1 oz creamy style cheese (Mt. Tam)
    Dinner: Green salad of 1 Cup mixed lettuces, 3 grape toms, olive oil and vinegar; 4 oz ribeye; 2 C. steamed broccoli with cheese sauce (butter, cream, shredded gouda); 1 jigger bourbon with diet Sierra Mist.
    1,997 cals (over my settings) 19 carbs 162 fat (over my settings) 89 protein (under my settings) 2,474 sodium 7 fiber
    Bfast: 16 oz coffee with coconut oil, butter, and half/half (have now switched to heavy cream in coffee), 2 oz italian sausage, 2 oz. cheese
    Lunch: 2 eggs boiled and mashed with safflower mayo, butter, and olive oil,
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    oops hit enter...con't lunch
    1 oz cheese, another coffee with butter and coconut oil
    Dinner: Salad of 2 C romaine, 4 oz grilled chicken breast, full fat caesar dressing, 1 cup of grilled eggplant (with Olive oil) with tomato sauce and parm cheese
    Snack: 1 oz roast beef wrapped around .5 oz Mt Tam cheese, 16 oz chicken broth (made from granules) with 1 TBSP half/half-I love broth this way, nice and creamy
    Totals 1,793 cals 21 carb 144 fat 100 protein 4,376 sodium 6 fiber

Hope this helps.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Thanks sbom
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love:
    poblano peppers or bell peppers sautdon't knock with my protein and mushrooms in butter.

Coleslaw made with just cabbage, dukes mayo, kosher pickle, celery seeds, salt and pepper (pickle juice or white vinegar to moisten)..sometimes I add boiled eggs to it or whatever meat I'm eating.

Baked chicken with green beans ( I just bake it all together)

Poached eggs with hotsauce!

Broiled chicken livers with salt and pepper.(dont knock it till you try it!)

I'm restricting my calories in addition to the carbs. I know I need lots of fats but I can't get past thinking that I've got more than enough stored on me and that my hunger can just get over itself. My BMR is rather low because of excess pituitary hormone so if I get close to 1500 then I lose very very slow. I'm set to 1200 ATM, but its the macro and micro nutrients I watch and I'll start increasing my calories in a few weeks.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Thanks Cherie. I really needed meal ideas- not just what is acceptable, but a menu of sorts- that I can tweak to my likes. Thanks Deansdad too. I am so glad to have this support.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For breakfast my favorite it half an OZ pork skins, one or two OZ cream cheese spread on the pork skins depending if I am really hungry. Five olives and coffee with HWC. I am pretty sick of scrambled eggs in the morning.

TQ posted this link and many of my lunch or diners look like this. http://www.dietdoctor.com/real-food-for-the-holiday-season

And another link I forget who posted . How could you feel the least bit deprived ea
    ting like this? OH MY.
    http://www.eatlowcarbhighfat.com/

Another site for food ideas to spice up your life. I have not tried these yet but they look wonderful.
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/07/Chips-Crisps-Spicy-Zucchini-Chips
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just look at my diary. I eat lots of yummy stuff and I think I do pretty well with my macros but I do allow myself up to 24 *net* grams of carbs (pretty much all from veggies and nuts).
  • Otqt14
    Otqt14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do I add some of you to my friends list? Would love to get meal ideas for low carb as well :)
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Options
    I'm a microwave buff when it comes to lunches to go. I weight my veggies and dice them raw in a Tupperware container with salt and pepper (butter too if I a lot for it) then when lunch time roles around I just put it in the microwave for about 4 minutes and walla!

Veggies I typically use:
    Zucchini
    Yellow squash
    Broccoli (raw or frozen)
    Mushrooms
    Cabbage
    Poblano pepper
    Okra ( tip: do not add water when microwaving and its not as slimy. Tomato will also reduce slime)

I buy almonds in bulk and weight them in tiny 1 ounce containers. I do the same with cream cheese which I eat with a 1/4 teaspoon.. Its amazing how long it can take to consume with such a small device!

Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend.. My only request is that your food log is viewable!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Otqt14 wrote: »
    How do I add some of you to my friends list? Would love to get meal ideas for low carb as well :)
    OT;

Look to your left for the various posters info blocks.
    Click on the screen name (under pic or icon, above number of posts) and then on the "Add As Friend" button.

When you do it will send a "friend request" to that person and after they "accept" you as a friend you'll be able to view the food diaries of all those who have opened theirs.

In exchange, I'd suggest you open yours as well (at least to "friends" if not to "all).

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »

Thanks for your input.

-Dawlfin

I don't really have specifics, but rather, I go by a more formulaic approach:

Pick a fatty meat/protein source as your base for your meal. 75/25 hamburger, pork chops with fat still on them, eggs, lamb chops, liver, etc.
    Add a non-starchy vegetable source. Salad, asparagus, broccoli, etc.
    Add a fat to at least the vegetable, if not also to the meat. Butter or bacon grease on the vegetables, oil-based dressing to the salad, butter on the meat (or save the bone marrow from a bone-in cut and use it)
    Add seasonings to taste

For foods in general, always choose the fattiest version available, avoid heavily processed foods and stick to minimally processed foods (ie - favor meats, vegetables, dairy over things like Atkins bars), avoid grains, favor above-ground vegetables over below-ground vegetables, favor low-sugar fruit (namely, berries, stone fruits, and melons) over high-sugar fruits, favor vegetables over fruit in general, choose cream-based dairy over milk/skim-based dairy (e.g. - cream, cheese over fluid milk or low-fat yogurt).

I'm totally uncreative when it comes to meals, so I end up with:

Scrambled eggs in butter, topped with cheese (or an omelet filled with cheese, meat, and veggies, topped with sour cream).

Steak and vegetables (or just steak), topped with butter.

Burgers with cheese and bacon, wrapped in lettuce or bunless. Topped with a slice of tomato.

Salad with cheese, bacon, turkey, cucumber, with ranch dressing.

Stir-fry with meat, peppers, water chestnuts, broccoli (fried in butter or coconut oil). Topped with yum yum sauce or similar.

Whole chicken, with skin, baked with salt (rain salt on and in chicken, bake 1 hour at 450F, enjoy), eaten with skin. Side of handful of carrots (or peppers) dipped in mayo.

Add heavy cream, butter, or coconut oil to coffee.

Top berries with whipped heavy cream.

Pork chops with mayo/aioli and asparagus with butter.

Smoothie made with heavy cream, unsweetened almond milk (coconut milk or water work here, too, but watch out for the carbs in the coconut milk; almond milk is on the lower end for fat, but is also lower in carbs), cocoa powder, peanut butter (without added sugar), and a little stevia or xylitol to cut the bitter from the cocoa powder. Optionally, add avocado for extra creaminess, fat, and nutrients, or spinach or other leafy greens for added nutrients, fiber, etc., or protein powder for some added protein if necessary.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Options
    Tonight for me its taco salad without the taco!

Ground beef
    Lettuce
    Shredded cheese
    Sour cream
    Tomato ( might omit if youre close to carb limit but it makes it extra yummy):-)
    Black olives(I open the can and put the rest in the fridge. You can also use the green ones)
    Bell pepper ( or poblano)

I'll sautee the peppers with the ground beef. For spices I'll use chili and garlic powder, salt and pepper. Often spice packs contain sugar so I season from scratch.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Tonight for me its taco salad without the taco!

Ground beef
    Lettuce
    Shredded cheese
    Sour cream
    Tomato ( might omit if youre close to carb limit but it makes it extra yummy):-)
    Black olives(I open the can and put the rest in the fridge. You can also use the green ones)
    Bell pepper ( or poblano)

I'll sautee the peppers with the ground beef. For spices I'll use chili and garlic powder, salt and pepper. Often spice packs contain sugar so I season from scratch.

Those are so delish! I use a TBSP or 2 of salsa instead of the tomatoes. NOM!
  • Crawfie16
    Crawfie16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the book "Thin for Good", author Dr Fred Pescatore, (who worked for Atkins) which gives a 30 day menu plan, and also motivational tips for the 30 days. I found it excellent. Hope that helps.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Here is a free cookbook on Amazon right now... just grabbed it myself :smiley:
    http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carb-Diet-Cookbook-Lifestyle-ebook/dp/B00K929V7M
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks camtosh, I just picked up the book too. Those of you that do not have a Kindle there is also a free Kindle app for your computer you can down load and not miss out.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Excellent freebie :-)
  • VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!