How Many Calories?

Options
Hey everyone I was sitting here looking at my calories for the day and thinking to myself there is no way your supposed to be eating 600-700 calories only being seven weeks post op and then I realized the doctor never gave me a calorie goal. I can't eat much but I exercise throughout the day and also at home so I was wondering how many calories am I supposed to be eating a day?

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I never was given calorie goals either. I was told to aim for 70 grams of protein and 30 grams (or less) of carbs. When I entered it into MFP, it came up to about 800 calories.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I eat real food, a good day has me eating roughly 10x my protein grams in calories, or about 1000 calories for a 100g protein goal. When I supplement with protein shakes, I can get this down to about 900. If you are aiming for 70g, 700-800 calories eating real food seems normal to me.

Rob
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me 1000-1200 calories and no more than 100g carbs, 60-80g protein (being so short I was told I can get away with 60g but I try to aim for 70g)
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What I've read recommends 600-1000 calories from 2 months out to the first year. My doctor just has me focusing on protein, and I usually am between 700-1000 with that goal.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was told to aim for 600-800 calories per day, and to try to get 60-80g of protein per day. I think this matches up with Rob's advice.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    At 7 weeks, 600 to 700 sounds right. I didn't go over 1000 until I hit my goal weight at just under a year out.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Once I began eating regular food, I aimed for 1000-1200 per day, 75g of protein with regular exercise, (did not eat back those calories). I lost steadily, not stalling for more than a few weeks a couple of times, but not speedily. Reached maintenance within the first year.
  • douglasrl
    douglasrl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me 800 calories and 60 g of protein, but I feel like crap if I don't eat 1000 calories a day. In order to get that much in, I eat 5 to 6 small meals every day. My first doctor (who retired) didn't like that, but my new doctor is fine with it. I lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, 88 total so far.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    88 lbs...Good job!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Doctor was never concerned about calories, only protein at that point of recovery. I focused on protein and the calories seemed to gradually work themselves out. At 16 months out I really have no problems consuming 2000+