Pre-start 1/7/2015

Options
2CABetterMe
2CABetterMe Posts: 119 Member
My knee has been bothering for the last 2 days. Was able to get some walking in. Today want to add some upper body exercise.

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. Keep it up!

I hit my goals yesterday. I didn't get to start my workout until 8:30pm which meant that I was going until after 9:30, but I still got it done. Boy are my legs sore already though.

Goals for today:
    1. stay within calories
    2. 10,000 steps
    3. rest day!!!
  • rebetha82
    rebetha82 Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey guys, I've been on a plateau (I think) since 4 weeks now. Don't seem to be able to lose any weight right now. Any advice how to get off it?

Shortly, what I have done so far (logging for 140 days now):
    - daily calories at 1590, usually staying under. I started at 1400 to lose a pound per week, then decreased to 1350 but couldn't manage. I upped it to 1590 after the (maintaining at 1890 during the) holidays to have a little room to wiggle. I am proud not to have gained during my extended holidays with the inlaws but I would really like to see the numbers move down again now :smile: the set 1590 kcals should make me lose .5 lbs per week btw.

- 6 times a week a Jillian Michael DVD (30 min), incorporating strength and cardio, HIIT elements

- I try not to eat back my exercise calories and usually don't but I do consider the exercise my safety net

- vegetarian diet, eating tofu, eggs, milk products, legumes, pasta, vegetables etc.

- drinking mostly water during the day with some lemon juice in it, also a coffee with milk (2%) in the morning and some sparkling juice or full-fat coke from time to time (once or twice per week)

Any suggestions are welcome and needed. I am not too worried as I know that my (almost) daily exercise probably plays a role here. I do see the changes in my body in terms of muscle build-up and increasing strength. But being stuck at 168 lbs since 4 weeks makes me a little sad. I really want to get out of the 6er zone :blush:

Sorry for the long post :neutral_face:

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • ketowerdefense
    ketowerdefense Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat right now, rebetha82, where I haven't lost an ounce in about a week, and I can usually count on at least 0.2lbs coming off. It's quite disheartening, because I reached Onederland at 199.6 on December 31st, but since there was such little wiggle room, every time I have a high-salt day, I'm right back in the 200-201 zone again. I want to drop into the "safe" part of the mid-190s, so that even if I'm bloated, I don't have to see that 2## on the scale ever again!!
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Yesterday was a great day on all aspects. It was 10 degrees out, the sledding hills are 1 mile away on the state trail and the ground was covered with a 9 inch snow blanket. I broke a sweat like never before and felt my lungs working overtime. After getting back home (5 min drive from the trail) my heart rate was still 145 :) I would say that was one heck of a fun workout. I even got to go to bed earlier than the night before!!!!
    For today, I want to take it easy and let my legs take a break.
    Here is a picture of my little trainer and our sledding hills :)uhx0c0abqbob.jpg

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    rebetha82 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been on a plateau (I think) since 4 weeks now. Don't seem to be able to lose any weight right now. Any advice how to get off it?

Shortly, what I have done so far (logging for 140 days now):
    - daily calories at 1590, usually staying under. I started at 1400 to lose a pound per week, then decreased to 1350 but couldn't manage. I upped it to 1590 after the (maintaining at 1890 during the) holidays to have a little room to wiggle. I am proud not to have gained during my extended holidays with the inlaws but I would really like to see the numbers move down again now :smile: the set 1590 kcals should make me lose .5 lbs per week btw.

- 6 times a week a Jillian Michael DVD (30 min), incorporating strength and cardio, HIIT elements

- I try not to eat back my exercise calories and usually don't but I do consider the exercise my safety net

- vegetarian diet, eating tofu, eggs, milk products, legumes, pasta, vegetables etc.

- drinking mostly water during the day with some lemon juice in it, also a coffee with milk (2%) in the morning and some sparkling juice or full-fat coke from time to time (once or twice per week)

Any suggestions are welcome and needed. I am not too worried as I know that my (almost) daily exercise probably plays a role here. I do see the changes in my body in terms of muscle build-up and increasing strength. But being stuck at 168 lbs since 4 weeks makes me a little sad. I really want to get out of the 6er zone :blush:

Sorry for the long post :neutral_face:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Are you weighing everything out? With a half pound a week deficit, its only -250 calories a day. It can be easily overcome with inaccuracies (not weighing everything, inaccurate database entries, etc). My first go to would be to triple check my accuracy.

After that, I would stick it out for a little while. If you're seeing changes, you might just get a whoosh soon.

If I didn't see any movement for 6 weeks, I would lower my calorie goal by ~100 calories and try again.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm still battling this awful sinus infection which is draining all of my energy. No workouts for me this week so far. I'm back to work and coaching, so by the time I get home I just want to rest. I am trying to be super focused on my eating though, and so far it has paid off a little bit. I am a little disappointed with myself last night because I ate at McDonalds with my basketball team, as we stopped on the way home from our away game. But I won't let it derail me, back on track this morning.
  • rebetha82
    Options
    Hi SingRunTing,

thank you for your comment. I am usually weighing all my food if prepared at home. I also use the recipe builder. I eat out though once or twice a week and depending on the location, I guestimate. I try to over-guestimate but I am aware of the inaccuracy with that method.
    I will try to be more accurate and lower my daily calories again. It's just annoying, that's all :smile: I am happy not to gain though. That's something :wink:

Have a great day and thanks again!
  • danelutza19
    Options
    Hi rebetha82,
    I want to help you with your plateau but I think I need more info to do that. What you eat is only part of the equation.
    Please tell me your workout routine and estimated caloric burn, your general mood ( sluggish/ energetic) also your height.
    My best guess at this point is that either :
    1 you're doing great and just storing water( in this case you should just continue as usual and don't worry about it)
    2 your food intake has been too low, for too long, and you took your hormones out of balance and your body isn't willing to loose anymore
    3 you lost muscle mass and therefore your BMR is much lower, in this case, you will have to eat way less to loose or fix the BMR issue by doing a reset.
    I had my fair share of plateaus, and each and every single time, I started eating more and lost again within 1/2 weeks. Many of my friends asked for help when they hit plateaus and my weird trick worked for all of them: take 2,3 days off for rest and eat a little above maintenance :)
  • rebetha82
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi danelutza :smile:

thank you so much for your help!
    I work out 6 out of 7 days per week with Jillian Michaels DVDs like 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and now 6 week 6 pack. All of those last for about 35 mins each with a couple of mins of cooldown included. Each workout includes strength exercises of 3x3 mins with and without weights (I use anything ranging from 3 up to 8 pounds per hand), high-intensity cardio intervals of 3x2 mins and a 3x1 min core part. The 6w6p DVD has a 2xrep of core-intensive cardio intervals, HIIT exercises like burpees, plank cardio etc. and plank combinations for back and shoulder strength as well as squats and other leg-oriented strength exercises. Through the past 3 months or so of exercise, I can see lots of definition in my arms, my back, my calves and my core. My thighs (my no. 1 problem zone) are picking up on that now too. I have improved resistance and increased strength. Pushups, situps, squats, anything is possible now :wink: MFP estimates a ca. 300 kcal burn for 30 mins (I take off the cool-down) at my weight but as mentioned before, I try not to eat back my burn.

I weigh 168 pounds now, coming down from 183, at a height of 5ft5. I am almost 33 years old :smile:

As for my food intake, I was feeling like it was too low, which is why I opted for an increase from 1390 to 1590. I felt less energetic at the lower calorie range and feel better and less stressed about my daily intake now. Overall, I would describe my mood as motivated (in terms of weight loss and exercise) even though I am unemployed right now and have to worry about immigration issues. I am German leaving in Quebec, Canada and I haven't heard from immigration yet (it's been 3 months) about my Permant Residency application. A big stress factor in my life right now as my visa is expiring in less than 2 months. Unemployment makes me live a mostly sedentary life right now, staying home for most days of the week.

So, again, thank you for caring and trying to help. I truly appreciate it. You've been fantastic in the prequel group and you continue to be fantastic around here.

The same compliment I'd like to send to SingRunTing. It's awesome to have you guys here!
  • danelutza19
    Options
    Rebetha82, you and I have so much in common.
    I'm born in 82, born and raised in Europe and 5 feet 5 :). This makes things easier to calculate.
    Ok, let's start:
    Your BMR- as calculated by MFP app is 1473.
    - ( that is what your body burns at rest- laying in bed all day)
    Lets calculate TDEE now: ( TDEE is the amount of total calories your body needs daily to perform all functions)
    Based on your workout schedule 30 min x 6 times a week= 3 hours of intense efforts, you are at the active category and therefore we must multiply the BMR with 1.5
    TDEE = BMR x activity factor
    1473 x 1.5= 2,209.5
    Your body needs 2,209.5 calories daily. When you eat less than that, your body will pull it from stored fat reserves ( or muscle and organs) and you will loose weight :)
    Now, let's figure out how much less than TDEE should you eat to loose fat.
    The highest deficit recommend is 20% of TDEE. If the deficit is higher than that, you body will not just loose fat, but also muscle, skeletal mass, organs, etc. (nobody wants that)
    So let's figure out the deficit:
    2,209.5 x 20%=441.9 deficit
    So your daily goal will be 2,209.5-441.9= 1767.6
    With that goal you can expect to loose about 0.8 lb a week. Giving your current weight this is a healthy fat loss rate for you.
    No wonder you didn't like 1350 calories a day, that's under your BMR and it tells your body you're in peril; you're body will slow your metabolism in order to survive with less calories- bad move.
    Because you have been eating such low calories, giving your body a little diet break and eat around 2000 calories for a few days or even a few weeks, will trigger a boost to your metabolism and you should ease out of your plateau. You should eat around 1767 calories after that.
    Also, since you have lots of stress in your life right now, be aware that you're producing extra cortisol and that puts your body in the "fight or fleet" mode. Find something that can reduce your stress level, even if it's just by distracting you from your thoughts.
    I hope this helps you, and let me know if you need more info.
  • rebetha82
    Options
    Wow wow wow :smile: that's amazing! I guess MFP put me lower since I opted for sedentary lifestyle. I will up my calorie intake (need to get more protein anyway) and see how it goes. I cannot thank you enough :smile: You're a super (*)

Mind if I add you as a friend?

Have a great evening!!!

• danelutza19
    Options
    I do have another important point to make regarding weightloss and why you shouldn't worry about the scale too much:
    Let's say we have someone with a 500 calorie deficit daily. That gives us 500x7= 3500 calorie deficit a week.
    You're all thinking "great" 3500 calories are exactly one lb of fat. You're all correct: one lb of fat has exactly 3500 calories.
    3500/3500=1 lb hurray!
    Unfortunately there is another possible outcome, when we take into account that 1 lb of muscle is 600 calories.
    In that case 3500/600= 5.83 lb
    Funny right, depending on what your body chooses to burn, with a 3500 deficit you can either loose 1 lb of fat a week, or 5.83 lb of muscle. Still believe the scale????
    The reason I recommend upping calories after loosing some weight or during plateaus is because the human body tends to burn fat or muscle based on body composition:
    People whith high body fat( over 40/45% in women) tend to burn fat and keep muscle therefore can handle higher deficits.
    People whith lower Bodyfat tend to store fat and burn muscle, therefore should customize fat loss rate to preserve as much muscle as possible.
  • rebetha82
    Options
    It makes sense thinking about it. Pretty happy now about "not loosing" because I really don't want to burn muscle, they look so nice :wink: I will as discussed focus on eating around maintenance for 2 weeks or so and see how it goes. I am sure I will see an improvement in my exercise and body feeling. Worst case scenario: not loosing. Best case scenario: feeling better and seeing a shift :smiley:

Thanks a lot!
  • yessi2
    yessi2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Danelutza19 your awsome :#
  • yessi2
    yessi2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Danelutza19 your awsome :#
  • danelutza19
    Options
    Thank you yessi2!
    When someone is ready to find a truth less spoken and has the gut to do things the slow and hard way, they are awesome!!! You're awesome !