How to make certain veggies taste better?

Options
hippygirl325
hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
Since starting keto, I have tried a couple of veggies as sides that in the past I have not liked eating by themselves (broccoli and Brussels sprouts). When I made the Brussels sprouts I pan cooked them from frozen, rinsed, cut in half with olive oil and butter and used salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt, but I don't think they were cooked enough because most of them weren't very soft at all, and they still tasted pretty yucky even though I tried adding cheese and sour cream. When I made the broccoli I boiled/steamed it from frozen and added butter, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and sprinkled some parmesan on top, which made them tolerable, but I still didn't like the taste of the actual broccoli. I really want to get some of these types of veggies in my diet but in the past the only sure way to get them to taste good to me has been to mix them in with some type of casserole, soup, or salad. There's gotta be a way to make them taste good as a side, but despite trying to add good flavor to them I can't seem to work it out. Help???

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have you tried using seasonal fresh veggies as opposed to frozen? right now, greens and root veggies are in season, and squash. My daughter and I belong to a CSA (consumer supported agriculture), so every week we get veggies from a local farm. I have gotten some pretty weird stuff. tat-soy. rutabaga. I've seen rutabaga in the grocery...but never bought one...now i get them in my CSA. Google "what to do with your CSA". You will find tons of hits for different ways to cook different kinds of veggies.

One of my favorite ways to cook veggies in the winter is simply to toss them in some fat....i.e., olive oil, coconut oil or duck fat (did you know duck fat was a monounsaturated fat like olive oil? I just found that out the other day) and roast them in the oven with complimentary seasonings. sea salt and cracked pepper. smoked salt. lemon zest. nutmeg with greens. I also like to do them in combinations...say roasting parsnips with fennel bulb, brussels sprouts and some onion. That way I'm not just digging through green. Variety is good. Taste them while raw...and then sample while cooking so you know how the flavors will change. If you are going to try and sauté something....try doing it in bacon fat...i.e., sauté some greens (spinach, kale, or collards...yum).

Make a veggie gratin. Pick a veggie and do a pinterest search. You wouldn't believe whats out there for cauliflower alone. lol. Experiment and have fun.
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    Thank you. That's actually really helpful. I have heard people talking a lot about CSAs. I'm absolutely sure there is one here in Colorado Springs. lol Do you find the pricing to be considerably more than the store or comparable?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I find that many vegetables taste great sauteed in bacon fat and seasoned with salt and pepper. After cooking add blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles, sliced almonds, and crumbled bacon. Both fresh green beans and brussels sprouts taste great this way.

I hate broccoli so I just smother it with alfredo sauce.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Eating something you don't like...yikes! lol
    Me, too, with the Liver...<shudders>
    I have to overpower it with a LCHF
    savory sauce with full flavor and proper
    bite...a teeth-clenching bite, too.

My current article of choice is
    a mustard butter sauce.

One of my fav places to find such
    recipes or receipts as they used to
    be called in my gram and grampa's
    day is at googleBooks,
    If you enjoy reading old cookbooks:
    http://tinyurl.com/lu78t7w
    /tq :smile:
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    Shoot, not only is there 1 with a pickup location here, there are 11! lol
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I like broccoli and Brussels sprouts roasted in the oven (also cauliflower). They become so sweet! Preheat oven to 400F; Toss chopped veggie pieces in olive oil, bacon fat or ? Coconut oil (haven't tried that one for roasting). Place on a 1/2 sheet pan or other rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment or foil for easy cleanup; Roast, shaking pan occasionally for 20-25 minutes for broccoli/cauli; 40 min for Brussels sprouts. Cook until nicely caramelized (deep brown but not burnt).
    Salt liberally before serving (a squeeze of lemon is also nice)
  • nill4me
    Options
    Thats great that you have so many choices for CSA hippy! CSAs can be pricey...I will admit that, but you have to weigh benefit/value to cost. I pay yearly. Its approximately 1500.00/year for a "medium" share. That is more than enough to feed 4-5 people veggies weekly - and it is for 51 weeks. My daughter and I split the cost, so it works out to just under 15.00/week each, and we get to see each other every week, and go to the market together to get our veggies.

We pick up our share at the farm market, so its very easy for us to supplement with whatever they have on hand...i.e., onion, lemon, other stuff. Ours also has raw whole milk, goat milk, cheeses, fresh farm eggs and the like, along with grass fed meats from another local farmer. To me, its worth the price. I rarely have to get produce at the grocery anymore....and it has really expanded the variety of vegetables/produce that we consume, and its kind of fun, really. "Hmm...what did we get this week...WHAT am I going to do with THAT!?"...lol.

You also have the added warm fuzzy of supporting your local economy / farmers, and knowing that your veggies were loved and cared for while they grew up....rather than punched out via industrialization.

Strangest item we got this year was olive leaves. From olive trees. I steep them with / as tea. They are supposed to have antioxidant and other health benefits. The irony there is that my sister sent me an olive tree for my birthday. Now that its winter, i have olive leaves falling all over my floor at home.
  • nill4me
    Options
    tq33702 wrote: »
    Eating something you don't like...yikes! lol
    Me, too, with the Liver...<shudders>
    I have to overpower it with a LCHF
    savory sauce with full flavor and proper
    bite...a teeth-clenching bite, too.

My current article of choice is
    a mustard butter sauce.

One of my fav places to find such
    recipes or receipts as they used to
    be called in my gram and grampa's
    day is at googleBooks,
    If you enjoy reading old cookbooks:
    http://tinyurl.com/lu78t7w
    /tq :smile:

I did a meat share last year....and got liver once. I had to call and ask them for no more. I can't do it. I just can't eat something that makes me shudder...lol. I guess thats one of the cool things about being a grown up. I don't have to.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I LOVE broccoli and cauliflower, but get burned out quickly from eating them so much. I've made cheese sauces for them, very simply too and the seasonings can really change it up. The cheese sauce is just butter, cheese of choice, and heavy whipping cream.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Frozen almost never tastes as good as fresh, but if there's something you really don't like there probably isn't going to be much you can do to it to make it taste good to you. I can't stand eggplant and most mushrooms, so we just don't have them. Take the veggies you do like and find new ways to prepare them. I have to agree with the roasting thing though. Roasted cauliflower may be a new favorite around here! It's so simple and easy to prepare and yet taste so so good! But I also like to do a cauliflower mash, or loaded cauliflower (topped with chopped bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions), steam it with broccoli, etc. Just salt and pepper go a long way to improving flavor if you find they are just too bland!
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    my wife doesn't like vegetables. i make an easy 5 minute keto cheese sauce to cover them:

on medium-low heat in a small pot:
    melt 1 tablespoon butter (2 minutes). add a dash of salt, pepper to taste.
    add 1/4 cup heavy cream, heat for 2 minutes.
    slowly add 2 ounces by weight your favorite grated cheese.
    stir for one minute until melted. reduce heat to low until ready to serve.

• truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who have said don't eat what you don't like. I used to always try to force myself to eat salads but really, I just don't like salads and that's ok. Find veggies that you DO like and eat those instead. If you like green beans, try sauteing them in bacon grease or olive oil. Also, bacon wrapped asparagus is my all time favorite!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Roast your Brussels sprouts. Will change your life.
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I LOOOOVE Brussels sprouts tossed in olive oil and roasted! Best ever.

Also, I tried THIS recipe for Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin for Christmas dinner and it was AAAAHHHHMAZING.

(ETA delicious recipe.)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    <snip>
    One of my favorite ways to cook veggies in the winter is simply to toss them in some fat....i.e., olive oil, coconut oil or duck fat (did you know duck fat was a monounsaturated fat like olive oil? <snip> out there for cauliflower alone. lol. Experiment and have fun.

Nill,

I didn't know that about duck. Good to know. I ate duck at Thanksgiving and it was great! The taste was kinda like "Liver Light". Tastes like chicken with a hint of liver. I love liver, so it was really good for me. And you know duck is nice and fatty :D . The bad part is that its a little pricey, but doable. And its a nice size for a single person like me. At Thanksgiving, our company gave everyone a 25 lbs turkey. I ended up giving it away, too big. Ducks are 5 lbs.

My latest love with cauliflower is "smashed" cauliflower ~ I recently ate at the restaurant: Chicago Uno's. It was so good! A great replacement for mashed potatoes! Tons of butter in it. I'll have to make some and add butter AND sour cream to it.

I'm getting hungry just talking about it now...gotta go find some recipes...

Dan the Man form Michigan
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

My latest love with cauliflower is "smashed" cauliflower ~ I recently ate at the restaurant: Chicago Uno's. It was so good! A great replacement for mashed potatoes! Tons of butter in it. I'll have to make some and add butter AND sour cream to it.

I'm getting hungry just talking about it now...gotta go find some recipes...

Dan the Man form Michigan

Found a Keto friendly recipe that has a few ingredients and very simple to make:

Smashed Cauliflower

I'll try it hopefully this week and get back with ya...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options
    I like to roast broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil (20-25 min in the oven at 400) and garlic, then put parmesan on them while still hot.

Also, brussel sprouts steamed lightly then sauteed in bacon fat with a little bit of onion.

I also make a keto cheese sauce that is 1/2 cup hwc, 30g cream cheese, 28g of any nice sharp cheddar (or any other cheese you like, I love cheddar), and 1tsp dijon mustard to give it a little interest. This is very good over broc/cauli that is even just steamed.

Also, I make a cauliflower casserole with cream/cream cheese/dijon and cheddar as well.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I caramelize brussels sprouts in a cast iron skillet.
    Here's what you do:

buy fresh brussels sprouts
    wash them
    cut the ends off and then slice them in half. if really large, cut in thirds so they have a flat side.
    put them in a big ziploc and add liquid fat (butter, coconut oil, beef fat, lard, bacon grease, whatever you like)
    add salt and whatever other seasons you like
    toss in bag to coat
    put in heated, greased skillet with the flat sides down
    cook until they start to caramelize (the heat level depends upon your stove..gas vs. electric, etc)
    once they are getting sort of softish, flip them around in the pan and cook the rounded sides.

these are very, very good when done right. you do not want them mushy. they should be a tad al dente like pasta.
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    Thanks, all! Great advice! I think I'm gonna have to start making a cheese sauce similar to what you guys are describing, or make them au gratin, or try the roasting thing. Probably will do all three. :) I agree with you guys about "if you don't like it don't eat it" but I think I have the potential to like them more prepared the right way.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    I enjoy cooking brussels in a pan with oil until brown, then adding bacon (that was cooked beforehand) and cream and simmering it down to a creamy sauce. SO GOOD.