New User Weight Loss and Les Mills classes

Options
Hi All,

I am new to fit bit. I have a flex that I started to use on Sunday. I am currently on a huge weight loss journey. I have lost so far 8stone 5lbs but I would still like to loose another 8 stone making me 10 stone ( 140 lbs).

I have my calories set to 1230 in MFP and have found that it syncs with fitbit well. I purchased my fitbit to better track my exercise/ calories. I do aprox 6 classes a week but I felt my range of movement being larger would be less than the calories suggested on MFP.

How would everyone calculate water areobics, pilates and Les Mills Body pump?

I checked last night after class and Les Mills Body Combat burnt aprox 650 calories for a 45 min session but body pump only a 120 calories.

Should I log this into MFP instead and let fitbit adjust?

Any ideas or advice would be awesome

thank you
:smile:

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    For what you listed, I would log water aerobics and Bodypump for sure. Fitbit doesn't have a way to factor in exertion from resistance so any weight or resistance workout you would want to log. Water aerobics isn't strength training, but the water is resistance and I don't think even a waterproof fitbit would track it well. But I could be wrong, I have a One and cannot wear it in the water.

I am not sure about Bodycombat. Is that a kickboxing workout? Is it a choreographed kickboxing or do you hit heavy bags, etc? I find my fitbit One tracks cardio kickboxing fine. And it sounds like you got credit for ti based on the movement.

For weight loss, overestimating exercise calories can cause unnecessary stalls and slower results. Underestimating a little isn't as much of a problem--usually (unless gaining is your goal). So I wouldn't necessarily log just to get a higher calorie burn unless it is an activity that I know fitibt isn't likely to track well (like weight lifting, cycling, swimming, etc).

Hi All,

I am new to fit bit. I have a flex that I started to use on Sunday. I am currently on a huge weight loss journey. I have lost so far 8stone 5lbs but I would still like to loose another 8 stone making me 10 stone ( 140 lbs).

I have my calories set to 1230 in MFP and have found that it syncs with fitbit well. I purchased my fitbit to better track my exercise/ calories. I do aprox 6 classes a week but I felt my range of movement being larger would be less than the calories suggested on MFP.

How would everyone calculate water areobics, pilates and Les Mills Body pump?

I checked last night after class and Les Mills Body Combat burnt aprox 650 calories for a 45 min session but body pump only a 120 calories.

Should I log this into MFP instead and let fitbit adjust?

Any ideas or advice would be awesome

thank you
    :smile:
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    120 calories for bodypump? who told you that figure? i burn 6/700 calories in body pump!
  • roni79
    roni79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Those classes are subject to the instructors as far as intensity/ Cal burn. I burn 300 in body pump. I link Mfp for food logging but log all my workouts via Fitbit. Fitbit estimations are waaaaayyyyy more accurate for me and my workouts.