Looking for support/suggestions...

Options
GetWaisted
GetWaisted Posts: 33 Member
I'm 8 months out (4/23/14 was surgery date). I've been stalled for over 3 months now, I've lost a total of 80lbs but my goal weight is 45lbs away. I've set a mini goal of losing 100lbs but I just can't seem to get there. I'm following my plan which is 1200 cals/day, 50 or less carbs a day but the scale is not moving. I was recently given some advice from a fellow vsg'er who told me that I should try cutting my carbs down to 25 or less a day b/c I may be carb sensitive. That's what I'm doing now b/c I'm willing to try any rational suggestions...

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you exercising, and getting in all of your fluids? I know for me, the more I stick to my plan, the better results I get. I mainly eat protein, then veggie, then fruits. No added carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, sugar, etc. Some people think I am a little strict, but it's what works for me. I also lose better when I am around 800-1000 calories a day, but definitely do what your surgeon and his team have advised you to do as far as calorie intake. Also, sometimes going back to the earlier stages of your plan can help as well. Good luck!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to the dietician at your surgeon's office? If not you should.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    I'm getting in my fluids an I'm exercising. I may need to step up my work outs a bit but I'm either in the gym or running/walking the track 4 days a week. I have spoke w/ my nutritionist and the only suggestions she gave were to up calories to 1200 and keep carbs at 50 or lower. I was hoping to maybe come across someone who's been in a similar situation but broke the stall b/c it sucks being in a stall this long. I've never heard of anyone stalling for such a long period of a time who was less than a yr post op.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Maybe that is what you need to increase?
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Maybe that is what you need to increase?
    I could do better on my protein but I don't want to increase my calories much more and I think that may be key to breaking my stall once I get that figured out.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Increase protein, increase fluids. Grilled meats are high in protein and low in calories. This can really push up the protein intake and will push caloric burn.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I stalled at 9 months out and didn't lose another ounce until about 13 months out. I was eating less than 800 calories per day and my nutritionist told me I had put myself in starvation mode. I upped the calories to 1,000 and increased protein and the stall ended. I will tell you that ever since, I lose very slowly and I continue to stall often. Sorry to say, some of us just do. Talk to your nutritionist again, make sure to get your protein in and up your water. The stall will end, it just takes time.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost anything in 3 months, you are in maintenance. If you want to lose, you are going to have to eat less.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    If you haven't lost anything in 3 months, you are in maintenance. If you want to lose, you are going to have to eat less.
    Eeeek...definitely not what I wanted to hear but that makes sense. I'm doing 1200 calories now, I'll try and cut down to 1000 calories. I've cut my carbs a little so hopefully calorie cutting works, I was struggling to get the 1200 in anyway...

• truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Along with lowering your carbs increase your healthy fats, I stalled for months and now doing low carb high fat and moving again.
    Keep in mind what your goal weight is and what your body decides it's goal weight is, is not always the same lol
  • bigdogmp
    bigdogmp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery in April of this year and have lost all of my weight already my health is 100% better no more meds and the sleep is the best.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    Along with lowering your carbs increase your healthy fats, I stalled for months and now doing low carb high fat and moving again.
    Keep in mind what your goal weight is and what your body decides it's goal weight is, is not always the same lol
    It seems like my body is agreeing w/ the numerous amount of ppl who keep telling me I've lost enough weight and need to just start toning and maintaining, but I'm not satisfied yet. I'm 4'11 and I'm btw 176-179 that's still considered obese...I've got to break the stall and keep it moving. Thx.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    bigdogmp wrote: »
    I had my surgery in April of this year and have lost all of my weight already my health is 100% better no more meds and the sleep is the best.
    Impressive. What are your stats?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    GetWaisted wrote: »
    I'm 4'11 and I'm btw 176-179 that's still considered obese...I've got to break the stall and keep it moving. Thx.

Although I understand that you want to get out of the "Obese" category I do agree that sometimes our bodies just won't go any lower. I'm finally in the "overweight" category, the top of the range. And my goal weight, if I go that low, will just be the bottom of the overweight category, but still overweight. Does that thrill me? No. But it sure beats weighing 386 and being severely morbidly obese. Consider where you started, consider how far you've come, and decide for yourself where you want to land and if you can maintain it. I will not kill myself to get to a "normal" weight range, I really don't think I could maintain it. I'm healthier now than I've been in decades. I'm not done yet, I want to get and stay somewhere below 200, but I think it's a reasonable goal for me and it's still in the overweight range. Find your reasonable goal, don't get too hung up on categories or numbers.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Point of note: I do not see any comments relating to exercise. Focusing on caloric intake is a "dieting" behavior, we need to focus on "life" behaviors. I would suggest upping your cardiovascular exercise and eating back most of teh exercise calories.

Set MFP for 2 pounds per week, make sure you weigh and track everything and input exercise. See where that takes you.