Power clean technique review

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
http://youtu.be/l13CvSuO9K4

Not sure if I'm doing them right. Power clean is different than a squat clean right?

Replies

• xfit229
    xfit229 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    From the vid I seen. If that the right one. That was a clean and jerk.. a power clean is the first part. From the floor and catching bar in front rack position.. tipically u can catch weight from mid thigh and above.. a squat clean is same start but caught in a squat pos. Usually whatever ur pos is in a air squat is our pos of catching your squat clean..if that makes sense..
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Thanks. In addition to getting my terminology right, let me know if you see anything right/wrong

It's not that heavy of a weight for me so maybe it's easier to hide tech faults?
  • xfit229
    xfit229 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It was a good lift . What I did notice was that u bend you arms early.. in other words you want to get to your triple extention before catching the bar.. once u get there then u can get under bar quickly and bring your elbows around and receive the bar in rack pos. If that makes sense..
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I see what you mean
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It is easier to judge a good clean when looking from the side rather than straight on. It looks like you might have brought your hips up too early but again, it is hard to tell from that angle. Also, on your jerk was really more of a push press and your elbows could be higher.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It's almost a muscle clean, imho. With this kind of weight, which is seriously light for you, I don't think it really matters what your form is like as you are hardly struggling to get under it - you don't even need to get under it ;)

Agreed that it wasn't a jerk, definitely a press.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^I haven't watched the video yet (blocked at work) but I will from home but she is right. At a very low weight you are strong enough to just flick the bar up to your shoulders regardless of form. Get a decent load on the bar (75% 1RM) and try again. At that point you can't just muscle it up, you need to use technique.

Hip power is really what is moving the bar. Doing some reps from then hang (deadlift the bar, then do a power clean from there, but you only lower the bar to your knees then power upwards) or from the pocket (bar is right up in your hip joint/top of deadlift and maybe a 2 inch drop then clean it)

Building more power there will increase your overall cleans tremendously
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Boston, because I tend to muscle up these lifts, my max is only about 185lbs.

I've considered trying dead hang cleans and I practice with the bar. I notice that good technique includes bumping the bar with your thighs while getting on your tippy toes. It's so hard to do when there's good weight on the bar.

I'm wanting to improve my quickness and possibly vertical. Not necessarily strength
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hip striking the bar can help but it isn't mandatory. I liked this article http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/to-smack-or-not-to-smack-your-hips-that-is-the-question

Do you have a personal trainer or CrossFit coach who will do personal sessions with you on these lifts?
  • thoseAmericanthighs
    Options
    Jeff, I would suggest (if you have instagram or facebook) following Hookgrip; they post videos of Olympic lifters in slow motion so that you can really see the points that need to be hit. They offer a good comparison to my own lifts when I don't have my coach around to critique my form.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfkaxK1dy0

I don't to insta or FB. But I found this one. I'm not a cross fitter but I like some of the moves. I figured this is the better place to get info/feedback. It got zero in the main forums. haha
  • thoseAmericanthighs
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hookgrip

We're all well and good here, but hookgrip captures the best lifters in the world on video. I'd wager they have much more technically sound form than any of us here.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hookgrip

We're all well and good here, but hookgrip captures the best lifters in the world on video. I'd wager they have much more technically sound form than any of us here.

Thanks man those videos are HD and really capture everything.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Boston, because I tend to muscle up these lifts, my max is only about 185lbs.

I've considered trying dead hang cleans and I practice with the bar. I notice that good technique includes bumping the bar with your thighs while getting on your tippy toes. It's so hard to do when there's good weight on the bar.

I'm wanting to improve my quickness and possibly vertical. Not necessarily strength

We did hang cleans last week and I matched my power clean PR. Will try to get some video next time we do them.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfkaxK1dy0

I don't to insta or FB. But I found this one. I'm not a cross fitter but I like some of the moves. I figured this is the better place to get info/feedback. It got zero in the main forums. haha

Compare him to some of the hookgrip videos, they really don't pop the bar off their hips at all. They also have ridiculous mobility and can catch the bar on the shoulders at a full squat. I'm not sure if I'll ever get flexible enough to do that, or with my past knee surgeries even want to try.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I finally got around to doing some foam roller work on my lower/upper back. I think it's one (of probably 2-3 things) hindering my mobility
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Front rack work is tough. YOu can look on MobilityWOD for some tips there. None of them are particularly pleasant.

The best way to see what is tight is to get the bar up to your throat and have someone push your elbows into the proper position. For me all the tightness is in my upper lat/triceps connection. My wrist flexibility needs work too.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'm currently doing some foam rolling on my upper and lower back. I can tell there's a very tight section in my mid back that corresponds to where I slouch at work.