Question about customizing my workouts...

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
I do 5/3/1. I change up assistance work all the time. I've been doing 5/3/1 for maybe 2 years.

My goal is still strength. I don't compete.

I find that if you stay strict to 5/3/1, you don't get enough back work. At least, it seems that way. I feel out of my element saying that because who am I to question Mr. Wendler.

I also feel that 5/3/1 leaves out some isolation that seems necessary as you increase your 1 RM. Such as biceps work. Theoretically, maybe it's not necessary, but I feel that is becoming a weak point in some of my lifts.

Anyway, I am getting to a point where I'm customizing my assistance quite a bit. I'm noticing where I am weak, and using assistance work to strengthen those areas. Mostly in the 10 to 15 rep range.

This might be a stupid question, but do you think that's ok to do? Or should I stay strict with the training schedule as its laid out.

One other change I made is I train every other day, as opposed to the other written schedules. I find I am more energetic using an every other day approach.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, then yes - it's more than fine. You're still doing the 4 main 5/3/1 lifts, right? And just doing whatever you feel is necessary to "assist" for assistance? That's exactly what you're supposed to do.

While Wendler offers up a variety of assistance options, they aren't your only options. His biggest point that he's stated (IMHO) is do assistance that helps. If it doesn't help, then don't waste your time on it.

If you were just starting out - or had less than a year's lifting experience - I'd steer you away from trying to figure things out for yourself. But, at this point, you almost certainly know what needs help.
  • FitnessMind_SS
    FitnessMind_SS Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    If I understand you correctly, then yes - it's more than fine. You're still doing the 4 main 5/3/1 lifts, right? And just doing whatever you feel is necessary to "assist" for assistance? That's exactly what you're supposed to do.

While Wendler offers up a variety of assistance options, they aren't your only options. His biggest point that he's stated (IMHO) is do assistance that helps. If it doesn't help, then don't waste your time on it.

If you were just starting out - or had less than a year's lifting experience - I'd steer you away from trying to figure things out for yourself. But, at this point, you almost certainly know what needs help.

^ agreed
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

^ Yep.