Any former smokers here?

Options
julslenae
julslenae Posts: 38 Member
I quit smoking 3 months ago and gained 15 lbs. Any other former smokers who can share how they handled the side effects of quitting smoking, how long it took to get back to normal or if there is even getting back to normal?

Replies

• joewalker79
    joewalker79 Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes about 2 months ago ( for the third time) I switched to vaping. Still get my nicotine but I can breath and feel a whole lot better. Lungs are clearing out and cardio (p90x) has become much easier.
  • roni0906
    roni0906 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I quit several years ago. It was hard and it took a long time to have a new normal as i always wanted to smoke when i drank or in a social situation. I was active duty so i exercised a lot and didn't gain any weight. As of now, i just passed 9 years since i quit but it has been about 5 years since i cheated and had a cigarette. I feels great not to smoke anymore. It is tough but you can it.
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 & half yrs ago, gave myself 3 months & then really concentrated on my fitness, to get rid of the excess I gained. I guess it's personal, as to how you feel in your self & your motivation levels.

Well done by the way :smile:
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I have never been a smoker but I want to congratulate you all on taking this step towards your health. My mom was a smoker for many years and I watched how hard she struggled to quit. Even now, 12 years later, she still struggles to not have a cigarette when she is stressed or when people are smoking around her. 40 years of the habit stick in your head I guess. So I applaud you all!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both quit five years ago, he unfortunately started again about 1 1/5 years ago, so he quit again a few months ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. Like someone above, I gave myself about two months to adjust to not smoking, then really worked on my diet and exercise. I have lost 30 lbs since then, with some fluctuations here and there.
    Congrats on kicking the habit! It's not easy!
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I quit on April 20th 2014. For good this time. I became a distance runner (which was part of the motivation to quit) so eating more was cceptable, but also the new hobby made me busier, and less likely to eat from boredom. Stay busy, and burn more calories. And dring a sh** ton of water.