Weaker side becoming dominant?

Options
rjcelmer
rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
I have been noticing over the past couple of months that my normally weaker side (left) is starting to become stronger than my normally stronger side (right). I don't see the difference visually (actually, my right side is visually slightly bigger) but when I work out, I notice in the reps.

I have been noticing when doing alternating reps or sets, it is becoming much easier to do the same weight with my left arm than with my right. I have always tried to be symmetrical and do the same weight with each arm and when using them both together, I try to not favor one over the other.

I've seen another topic on symmetry where people have suggested favoring the weaker side (or doing a few more reps) to build it up, but because I've never experienced this before, I'm not sure if it's going to be a trend and remain that way or if my body is going through a phase, etc. Also, it doesn't seem to be concentrated to one muscle or group; I have noticed it pretty much across the board.

Anyone have insight on this? Thanks.

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    In my case I don't really think of it as a weaker vs stronger side argument. I think it's more of a more-coordinated/less-coordinated argument. I find that I tend to things outside the gym that favor development of the less coordinated side of my body. Any time I unlock a door, I find it easier to get the key in the hole and turn it with my coordinated hand. As a result, the 6 bags of groceries are in my less-coordinated hand (and being supported moreso by the muscles in the less coordinated sie of my body). I find when I do dumbbell presses, the motion seems easier on the coordinated side of my body but that the less coordinated side doesn't fatigue as quickly. I think part of this is because of all the times I use the muscles disproportionately for the less coordinated side when the more coordinated side is doing something that requires dexterity.
  • Boaz73
    Boaz73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm right handed but have noticed that after 12 months of hitting the gym and six of those hitting weights my left side has improved tremendously. Sometimes I find my right arm becomes tired before my left. I think it's because even though I'm lifting the same I still do a lot with my right arm on a daily basis which maybe tires that side of my body more. Hope that makes sense. I think as long as you train both sides with the same weight you shouldn't have a problem with one arm getting bigger or looking disproportionate.
  • NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm ambidextrous with slightly more dominance to the right side, but due to ulnar injury my left is taking over.. will sort itself out once injury is healed.

I'd suggest a possible injury or form.