Cauliflowe Cream Pasta

Options
Sooo, I made this today. I didn't have spinach (Ran out late last night :( ) but it turned out absolutely heavenly. I omitted miso paste and olive oil and used 2% milk, also. I'm a little cheap so those small things I don't invest in. This was heavenly. I think in the end it was only about 222 calories for one huge serving because I used whole wheat pasta. Heck yes. Picture of mine at the bottom of the post!

Warning: The recipe below contains adult language.
From Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook

Want to enjoy creamy pasta without having to f***ing worry about cholesterol? Puréed cauliflower makes this sauce silky without any of that added bulls*** that made you avoid creamy sauces for so long. Feel free to add some stuff like roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli or roasted red peppers to this dish to mix it up.

• 1 pound pasta (fettuccine, linguine, spaghetti, whatever)
• 4 cups chopped spinach
• Salt and pepper
• 1/2 head cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into little trees
• 1/2 cup unsweetened plain nondairy milk
• 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon miso paste
• 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley

Cook the pasta according to the package directions or whatever f***ing method you invented and now swear by. When it’s all done, throw it in a large bowl with the spinach, toss, and set aside. While the pasta cooks, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Throw in a pinch of salt and the cauliflower and simmer all that until the cauliflower is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and toss into a blender. Add the milk, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, miso and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the blender and let that motherf***er run until the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust as you see fit. Pour the cauliflower purée into the pot you boiled the cauliflower in and set over low heat. Add the pasta and spinach and toss until everything is mixed and warm. Top with some parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

10848714_899748003382189_526204132989694906_o.jpg

Replies

• CherryStuff
    Options
    This sounds so good. I love how versatile cauliflower is. Pasta is my "down fall", so whenever I can cut out some calories, that means more pasta for me. I haven't tried many whole wheat pastas, any suggestions?
  • kristineceleste76
    Options
    This looks good. I will have to try it.
    @cherrystuff, I like the Barilla Plus pasta because it has extra protein and omega-3. My kids eat it just like regular pasta.
  • May338
    May338 Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Awesome recipe. Interesting way of using cauliflower.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love using cauliflower for this (completely lactose intolerant). Another fun way is add it as the base for chowders instead of adding potato soup or cream. I basically just boil the cauliflower in thin chicken stock until it's soft, drain, puree, and freeze until I need it. It's just amazing.
  • shellssz
    shellssz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hmm! I think I wanna try this tonight!! Thanks! ;)
  • RunningFree86
    Options
    Trying this tomorrow!!!