Trying to get more steps indoors today. Any suggestions?

Options
FunkenWagnel
FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
Ok, so I'm in the Aussie summer, and at the moment it's too hot to be outside exercising. I have really fair skin, it's the middle of the day and I'm allergic to sunscreen, so I'll burn to a crisp! lol

I definitely will go for a big walk in the afternoon when it's cool enough, but I also want to earn steps throughout the day. I'm at home, and am trying to brainstorm things I can do to get more steps indoors.

I'd go on the wii fit normally and that works really well, but at the moment, the kids are using it, and it's their turn, lol!

I do plan to buy a stepping block when I can afford to, and when it's too hot or raining, I can step on that and listen to audiobooks, but I'm looking for something today. I may find something around the house I can step on safely? I don't know.

Getting exercise equipment such as stair climber or elliptical trainer aren't an option, as we don't have the space in our house, but I love the idea.

So, tell me; when you're confined to indoors and want to get your steps up, what are you doing?

PS: I will also go on the wii fit later, but am antsy to build up steps now, and I want to catch up with my friends on challenges and get my badge today too, LOL

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Tour of the house for each trip to the bathroom.
    Up and down the stairs for each trip to the kitchen.
    That type of thing.
    Plus whenever you go out with car - park far away. Use stairs when possible.

At work I'd add a little on for common trips around, but that was just to get blood flowing.
    I don't have step goals, I have training goals, which many times didn't include steps, but the workout was better anyway.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Tidy up or cook a meal, you'd be surprised how many steps you take while cooking.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My house has a nice layout that I can literally walk laps around the house, so when I'm confined to the house I do that. I walk through the breakfast nook, through the living room, into the Jack-and-Jill bathroom, down a hall, back into the breakfast nook.

When that doesn't seem appealing, I sometimes march in place. I also sometimes do jumping jacks or burpees just to get my heartrate up, but it also counts toward my step total.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have the same problem. My house is very small and I have a mini trampoline that I get on or sometimes the treadmill. If I do not do one of them, I put on a workout dance dvd and get in my steps. If I know that I am just going to be sitting around and watch tv all day, I get up and walk around during the commercial breaks.
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If I need to get more steps in the evening I just jog in place while watching TV. Even if you jog during commercials you can get a lot of steps in.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just pace my living room. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy.
  • Krysfal
    Options
    It is freezing here - too cold to go outside. Sometimes, I just turn on the music and dance around the house. Sometimes the kids will join in. It helps everyone get some movement in and it releases some stress too.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions, you guys! That hot day was probably a preparation/lesson in what I'll have to do on rainy days too. I ended up yesterday caving and just using my wii board as a step. I don't like using it unless it's plugged in, but desperate times called for desperate measures! I also played a lot of music. I even managed a lengthy phone conversation while I was on there!

Then, once it cooled down, I had a nice, intense, hilly walk before a big storm. I met my goal!
  • mpawlicki
    mpawlicki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Vacuum or sweep the floors daily. Use the bathroom that's furthest away.
  • mpawlicki
    mpawlicki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Watch tv on treadmill or gazelle.