Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
l9selxru0nay.jpg

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I think whether due to holidays, or just life, we have all found ourselves not quite hitting our target lately (whether nutrition, exercise, daily activity level, etc), but are definitely committed to doing better. So I thought today's threadstarter might apply to a few of us. Plus, puppies!

Today is a scheduled home workout day with no run. Also first day back at school for son. I'll be getting today's exercise a little at a time throughout the day (a squat set here, a lunge set there, etc). Probably DH will pick up son because it's too cold to get lil girl out for no reason. That's it. A relatively easy day for me with runs scheduled for the next two days (so fingers crossed for dry streets).

Have a good one!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Love the thread starter! I'm struggling to stay in calories. But at least this week I'm not going over by a lot!

April - I hope you figure out what was causing your headaches and that it is easily fixable!

Sherry - When I do strides and such my hip flexor a get so sore! I never thought about those tiny muscles much until I started running!

Jen - well done on the new higher score!

Tuesday ended up being rough. I tried to look up the nutrition of where we were going for my hubby's work party...but they didn't have ANY information listed. I tried to make good choices but it's hard going in blind. Yesterday was one of those days where everything that could go wrong did. I did manage to get a walk in...but somehow managed to ruin a dinner I have made often with no problems. It was edible...but barely...so I ended up snacking later as dinner was less than satisfying.

Today I have staff training all day...and will be eating out with them for both lunch and dinner. At least dinner is at Red Robin where I have a tasty go-to dish that I love and is about 400 calories total. So that will help immensely with my calories today. Won't be able to get a walk in today, but hoping to make up for it with watching what I eat. At least snacking will be more difficult since I won't be sitting around at home!

Have a great day everyone!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hello wagon! Nice to be back on it.

Sherry those days where you sneak in workouts when you can fit them in can be really effective! Hoping for your dry streets coming up.

Val, how are you feeling? Are you getting your energy back?

I stuck with my challenge yesterday and dropped just over 3 pounds from yesterday morning to this morning. Good riddance water weight. We have a book club at work (listening to the Great Game of Business) where the company buys lunch. We got sandwiches today and I found one on the menu that would work, but then decided I would be fuller and more satisfied with my spaghetti from home (whole wheat pasta, ground chicken, spaghetti sauce & veggies) so I brought that in to eat instead. I'm okay with sandwiches but I'm not crazy about them so I don't think I'll mind being the only person in the room not eating one.

I have Jason tonight & am scheduled to run.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sherry, can you see me?!?!

Valma, it is hard going in blind. That’s when you just do the best you can. And hope your day goes okay.

Laura, nobody cares if you don’t eat the sandwich as long as you read the book! Hope it’s not too cold to run.

So this morning was the first morning in a loooooong time when I woke up and felt good about what I ate yesterday. I also started a doc to list my craving/monster feelings as well as time and place. Also yesterday I got in 10k steps—my goal is 7k.

Got up this am and got on the recumbent bike for 20 mins.

AND I signed up for Pilates again, starts this Saturday.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Sherry, can you see me?!?!.

I do see you! Well, I "read you". Why?

Well, it sounds like lots of good intentions being challenged by circumstances and everyone trying their best to stick to it. Doesn't it always seem like right when you get really determined to make improvements, that the Universe sends little challenges our way (such as work lunches and dinners and temptations and the like)? Good job sticking with it and with accountability check-ins!

April, great job on the steps and the recumbent bike!

So my day got wrecked when DH called in the last minute to say I'd have to pick son up. So I raced around pulling together enough layers for me and lil girl to go out (neither of us have winter coats). Then DH met us at the school anyway (?!?) and when we got home he monopolized my entire afternoon and night with some trip planning and other looooooo....ooooooooo..oooooong discussions. Phewee! So no leg workout, but I did some walking/pacing in the living room during our convo, to get some steps at least. Heard Sunday is going to be warmer (60's), so I'll probably make my long run Sun instead of Sat. I'll hit the gym Sat before a meetup we have planned. Tomorrow just a normal slow run. Well, that's the plan anyway.

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Me, now.

bof4zfoli5pf.jpg
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sherry - I love the thread starter it is where I am at AGAIN. But I guess that's life.

Today I did Body weight Tabata again and raised my score from 42 to a 44. It wore me out. It is only four exercises squats, hand raise push ups, up and over a box, and burpees. However it is 8 rounds of each. 20 seconds on and 10 seconds of rest 8 times in a row. The score is the lowest number of reps in the 8 rounds added together with all 4. Burpees in 20 seconds is horrible! I got more up and overs this time and raised my score by 2.
    I'm glad to say there was a lot of sweat. I think I fell asleep at the desk trying to enter my exercise.
    Husband and I went to TKD. He taught and I got to work out tonight. It was ok for a regular class - a little sweat. Tomorrow night will be harder - brown and black belt class.

I'm glad to see everyone is starting to feel better if not from injury, then from illness. It is nice to get back into the groove. Stay warm or at least think of the calories you burn when cold!
  • jenmck5
    Options
    Ok - information check.
    - Sherry I know that you are running. What are your distances? and do you have strategies?
    - Laura I know you have run quite a bit and are doing C25K. I think I've seen that you have done more. What are your strategies?
    - I'm looking for more ideas for running or motivation. I should look up more about C25K. I have run (for the most part and walk) several 5K my best time was 36 minutes. The other times I was "encouraging" my 13 old son to run with me.
    -My oldest son was in cross country this year and can complete a 5K in 21 minutes or less. So my 18 year old and my husband basically run together when we run 5K as a family.
    My husband just this last year has gotten on a running binge and has become one of THOSE people who really enjoy running. He has signed up for his 4th marathon in 4 months and has set a goal for 1 a month for 12 months. The marathons are fun looking and I really think that I could run/walk a half. (just for fun - not for time :smile: )
    I'm just interested in what others are running.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Jen, I started running around April 2013. I was going to do C25k, but stopping to walk was no good for me, so I just took it slow. Things didn't really take off for me until I got out of the half mile loop at the park and started running around the city. I fell in love. I had many starts and stops due to vacations etc, but by Fall 2013 I started a goal to progress distance. By Spring 2014 I was getting 8-10 miles sometimes, but I was also having some pain. By Summer, I went to USA and went to a proper running store and learned my shoes were a couple sizes too small!!! I knew they were small because I can't get my size in Greece, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. July 5th I ran a very nice 10 mi, but the pain of my calves and Achilles just became unbearable by then and I worried I could do permanent damage. I ran some more 5 mi with walk breaks that Summer in the US. August was on an island and no running and I discovered how those small shoes forced my calves into constant stress and finally understood my problems. I tried a few times to do 5k and maybe once tried 10k in September, but by Sep 19, I was done. I needed to stop completely til healed. I planned to start back January, small distance at a time (even though I really want to do 5milers). Then Laura reminded me of heart rate training, which I'd tried in the Spring and hadn't liked but was considering trying Sept...but with all my problems I totally forgot. It basically is an aerobic function building program that can also help to condition the body too, to help against injury. So I basically run about as slow as I usually walk, lol, according to a heart rate zone. Over time, my speed should progress within that zone. The catch is that any anaerobic work will impede progress. Since I'm not doing any hiit like workouts, only my weight routine is anaerobic, but I read a guy online who continued his upper body strength and switched lower body weight routine to endurance level, so that's what I've done. From what I understand, the lactate flooding the muscle has smthg to do with it (thus the lower body workout being kept easier, in the endurance range), but also the use of glycogen (doing anaerobic) instead of fat. Since the upper body is small, I don't think I'd use that much glycogen during my workout, so as to totally ruin my program. Anyway, the running is so easy that I can go farther than I was planning and my ankles don't hurt...it just takes much longer. The thing is, it's important for people to "just run" in the beginning, because if they had to worry about all this crap they'd probably never start, but the truth is that running is not that simple and a lot of people get injured because of the "just run" mentality. But, if you fall I love like I did, you find yourself educating yourself and determined to "do what it takes".

Sorry for the novella! Lol!

Oh yeah, I'm not really interested in races, but might like to run in the Athens Classic Marathon which follows the original path from Marathon to Athens someday, as a bucket list type thing.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sherry, can you see me?!?!.

I do see you! Well, I "read you". Why?

I guess that didn't make sense---I feel like I just got back on the wagon and so your threadstarter was apropos. I'm on the upswing and you're absolutely right about targets. I still think that picture was just for me ;)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd just skip this day and go on to Friday, but that shivering picture was just too good not to comment on! I woke up yesterday morning with no heat, no hot water, but with electricity. Outside, it was the coldest that Maryland ever gets (8F). Not surprisingly other people did too, so although I was added to the list of people that needed a repairman to come and look at my furnace, I was pretty far down it even though I called before 8 am. I waited all day in a really cold house, with the dogs, for the repair guy. He came at 10 pm. The dogs and I spent the whole day under many covers in bed. I have a small space heater and so by 3 pm I had the bedroom tolerable, but going outside, especially to the bathroom was really hard! I didn't want to do anything that would make the repairman skip me, so I just stayed in the house and waited, shivering, like the picture.

No exercise, which is a bummer as I had myself set to go to the metabolic conditioning class, and ate too much, because staying still is boring. Although it wasn't as bad as it's been in the past, as I didn't even want to leave the bedroom to get food.

By midnight I had heat!! But there's no promise that it won't happen again as we have two more days of really chilly weather until it goes back up to normal (20F and above) and my furnace set up is not designed for the really chilly, it turns out.
  • jenmck5
    Options
    Thanks Sherry. I'm still not in love with running, but would like to be able to run at least a 5k.