Friday, January 9, 2015

Options
90d8f95f3162c9d2f343ae43a356f64a.jpg

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    April - I like that idea of tracking your cravings and when they happen! I might need to try that! It would make it easier to find healthier alternatives.

Jen - I started running after having my second child to lose weight. It took me three years to even get close to enjoying it. ;). The C25k program didn't really exist when I started...but I've heard really good things about it. Mine was an u organized approach of running a couple blocks until I felt like I wanted to die...then walking until the desire for life returned to me...repeat. It slowly got faster and better. I'm still not a fast runner. My best 5k was 29 minutes. Tips: I registered for a race. Having a goal to shoot for really helped. I track all my times on a spreadsheet. So instead of competing against others, I just get to see how I have improved which is very encouraging. I get my running stuff ready the night before. It saves time the next morning...and it motivates me to get up because I don't want that prep time to have been wasted.

Laura - My energy is improving. I'm now able to get up and get the kids to school, make meals, etc. The biggest problem I'm running into with all the new activity this week is I hit a wall right around 4 pm. So dinners are becoming a bit difficult. I'm having to compromise a bit...not making the more elaborate and healthy meals I'm used to and cheat a bit. But I've also discovered planning for this exhaustion means that I buy preface meals that aren't as healthy as what I make...but are much better than eating out. Which earlier this week I was ending up crashing, unable to cook the nice meals I had planned, and just ordering some take out. So acceptance of my lack of energy is just part of life. I have gotten a walk in every day this week except yesterday. Going from little activity at all (being forbidden from lifting anything or much movement at all) to a more normal level...minus my training...has been a bit of an adjustment. But someday life will be back to normal! At least my house isn't a disaster anymore!

With the increased activity, my appetite has become fairly ravenous. I have a feeling the next month or two will be filled with this dilemma. Increase my activity slowly each week...only to have to endure spikes in my appetite in response. But, I am so excited to have training and races this year that are not plagues and hindered by excessive bleeding! Once I recover from this in a few more months, I will be done with all the issues!

Today there are no trainings or staff parties! I can finally start getting into a routine with my eating again! I made my chicken dumplings, but in my exhaustion I used the wrong flour. So the dumplings are not quite what they should be. More dense and bland. But it's still a tasty soup, and the dumplings are edible in small amounts. So I have some leftovers ready for tonight! I'm also going to walk again to pick my oldest up from school. I hope everyone has a great day today!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Val, glad you're starting to feel better! Would crockpot meals work for you for dinner? Something you can get going in the morning while you still have energy but that's ready to go at dinner time. There are a ton of healthy crockpot recipes online. I use mine a lot since I get home fairly late and am typically starving by then. Nice to walk in the door and already have dinner ready.

Jen, I ran a half marathon last summer. I ended up with plantars fasciitis, which has been very slow to rehab. I finally took a 6 week running break to rest my foot, on the condition from my trainer that when I start up again I restart C25K to give my foot a chance to ease back into running.

I finished W2D1 last night on the treadmill. It's way too cold to run outside right now. The temps aren't expected to get above 0F / -18C today, with windchills around -35F / -37C. We've been under a windchill advisory since Sunday and it's not expected to get out of the dangerous territory until Saturday afternoon. Anyway after my run I had my workout with Jason, then when I got home I got on my bike trainer for 20 minutes. I hadn't been on my bike in 2 weeks (since Christmas Day when I was so overwhelmed with the workouts Jason had left for me while he was on vacation). This morning I got to the gym, did 10 minutes on the rowing machine, did some shoulder band exercises, then had my workout with Jason.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Back to normal today, I hope, with correct eating. Then a flyball tournament this weekend. I don't feel too bad about yesterday's over eating as I think that I can average okay for the week if I focus.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    HI everybody!!! So much good stuff going on here, where to start?

April, great threadstarter! (Also, I figured your comment yesterday was re: the threadstarter, but I wasn't sure whether to take you literally and started wondering if there were times that I couldn't see you, hahahaha!!!) Keep it up and you'll be back in the right groove in no time. :)

Jen, I put my running comments in yesterday's thread. It's a bit of a book.

Donna, omg!! What an ordeal!! I am so glad you have heat now! What a long, cold day you had!

val, you are such a trooper! I can't even imagine what you are going through (and don't want to). Luckily it is only temporary and you will be much better off when it's all over. I really like Laura's idea about the crockpot. Another idea, I sometimes have a vitamin C in the early afternoon to give me a boost of energy, but not too late because it can literally keep you awake at night. Might be worth a try.

Laura, your crockpot idea for val is great. I hear you and April talking about these crockpot meals from time to time and I have a huge one but never use it and I think that needs to change. So, do y'all leave it cooking in an empty house? Idk if DH would allow that, but I'm usually home during the day anyway. Maybe I'll experiment soon.

Okay, so today was a bit rough logistically (DH's work), but when I was finally free, around 3:45, I hit the road for a slow run and went down by the coast and along the coast and a bit of the way back before I realized that I was ignoring a sore achilles again (dangit!) and stopped and walked all the way back, stopping by the market on the way. It was great and I feel fantastic afterward. I never felt depleted or even thirsty the entire time, but unfortunately my achilles are a little sore. I'm going to try not to get bummed. There's got to be an answer for me. There HAS to be.

Today's run was about 1hr 20min and the walk about 50min, according to my vivofit. Actually the walk was a little more, because I didn't remember to turn on my vivo for awhile, once I decided to walk home.

TGIF!!

• agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hi, loved the puppies and wagon yesterday. I am still recuperating from past month's work. Stayed in pj's all day yesterday. Today moving slow too.

Shoulder still hurting all week from stress of past month. Ice & heat and mental rest!
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    HOP ON THE CROCKPOT BANDWAGON, LADIES!

Laura and I will show you how it’s done! It’s so easy, so fast, and even if you are a lazy cook like me, you can make delicious, healthy meals in minutes! For real…I crock about 5 nights a week! I know some people are sketched about having the slow cooker on while they are gone all day. My hubs was at first too, so I would crock overnight, then just put it in the fridge and reheat at dinnertime. Then I started crocking on the weekends where we’d be home off and on and now I just dump everything in the slow cooker, walk away, and come home to dinner waiting. I made a big batch of chicken tortilla soup on Wed and we had it last night too. Laura, should we post a healthy crockpot recipe thread here?

Valma, I’m so glad to hear that your energy is increasing (even if it’s not all the way yet)—you’re doing great. It’s nice to get back into the usual.

Laura, it is crazy cold where you are so I’m really glad you’re not running outside like some of the lunatics I see.

Donna, consider investing in an electric blanket or throw. It’s so awesome to get into a warm bed!

Sherry, good job listening to your body and stopping running before you really hurt yourself. Do you have a mom friend that could trade watching kiddos so you both could workout?

Marla, I’m jealous of your jammies day yesterday! Hope your shoulder feels better soon.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I do leave my crockpot going during the day when I'm not home - and it's often for up to 10 hours (on low). You just have to make sure there's enough moisture in there that it doesn't dry out or start to burn, but as long as it's got adequate liquids it's just fine. When I bought a new crockpot the first time I used it was on the weekend where I was home to make sure there wasn't something wrong with it, but otherwise it cooks unattended. My usual meals are pork chops, buffalo ranch chicken, or beef roast, but I'd love some other ideas! I hate the recipes where you're cooking half the stuff in advance and then putting it in the crockpot (brown the ground beef, then cook the pasta, etc.). What's the point of that? I want to be able to throw raw ingredients in and have the crockpot do the work for me.

Pajama days are the best.

Sorry to hear your Achilles is acting up again Sherry! Baby steps.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Marla, get that shoulder well. You've earned some good rest!

Laura, should we post a healthy crockpot recipe thread here?

ummm, yes please!!!!!!

Sherry, Do you have a mom friend that could trade watching kiddos so you both could workout?

Not really. Expat life can be lonely, especially in Greece. Sooo many of my friends moved away when the crisis hit. They literally couldn't stay here and feed a family, or build any kind of future. Another of my friends who was here only temporarily moved last week. People think we're crazy for staying. Greeks feel trapped here and think WHY would this American family stay and endure this! But running by the coast today and walking by a board shop (kite, windsurf, SUP, etc) is a good reminder. ;) And tbh, I never ever worked out this much when I was in the USA. I really admire all of you for working out in the US. It is not an easy thing to do--so many distractions (good and bad), so many excuses to be lazy. I look back when I was living & working inside the beltway and frankly work had me so stressed out, but I should've worked out more. My commute was minutes and there was plenty to do, I was just lazy & made excuses. Then when I moved outside the beltway, my commute was huge and exhausted me--I suddenly knew what a REAL excuse looked like. I learned from that and remembered that when I moved here. I decided "no excuses"!

• jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the running information. I am glad to hear that people are on the mend again.
    I really didn't have time for video workout as I was at school waiting for son to finish basketball practice, so I ran/walked the stairs in the elementary building. I go 38 flights of stairs, then I ran around the perimeter of gym until practice was over. (Gives them a bit of a kick to see a teacher work out I guess)

We also had black belt TKD class at 6:30.
    It was a good day. Calf hurt a bit.

When weather is a bit warmer I will check out C25k. But I also enjoy the HIIT workout, so I will try to a balance.