Fitbit Charge HR

Options
GWH1967
GWH1967 Posts: 3 Member
G'day,
I am looking at the Fitbit Charge HR as my next tracker but I am being a little put off by the 1 ATM ability. Does anyone know if you have to be super protective of the device, and how much water is too much before it gets killed off, meaning, will showering with it on be detrimental or okay. I really want a tracker that'll negate the need for a HR Strap.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Gav

Replies

• katesmash
    katesmash Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at this one too. My understanding is that it's ok for accidental splashes but you would need to take it off for showering/swimming, etc
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That's my take, too. It's shower safe (supposedly--I don't wear mine in the shower), and sweat safe, but you're going to want to be careful.
  • patb987
    patb987 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am really hoping the Charge HR is what I am thinking it is... Will it be able to track calories burned via weight lifting, calisthenics, or even running on a treadmill? I have such a hard time knowing my calories burned during the first two workouts I listed.

I am really excited to get one if the above is true.

Anyone see any big reason to go with the Surge? I have not seen a compelling reason yet...
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, the Surge not only has the GPS and music controls, but has better customization for activities that are not step based, and it can understand what activities you're doing.

However, none of that works out to being worth $100 more to me. I have the HR, and it adjusts calories based on heart rate. I'm pretty pleased with mine.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just wonder how accurate the heart rate monitoring would be at the wrist. I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap and often wonder about its accuracy! During Zumba today I watched it drop to zero, then jump to 150, then down to 115 ... I like the feedback but it's SO frustrating sometimes, and Polar is a top name in HRMs. I have also heard that most monitors are for "steady state cardio" on their calorie estimates (so not for weight lifting). I'll be interested in hearing the reviews as more people wear it. Right now I'll stick with my One and try to get the batteries replaced in my Polar HRM and see if that helps...
  • tlskim
    tlskim Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I still have my FORCE. It still works. Im researching whether to get the CHARGE or HR next. As for me i dont see the necessity with SURGE at this time. Id be afraid to sweat with it on. Pricey
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    patb987 wrote: »
    I am really hoping the Charge HR is what I am thinking it is... Will it be able to track calories burned via weight lifting, calisthenics, or even running on a treadmill? I have such a hard time knowing my calories burned during the first two workouts I listed.

Anyone see any big reason to go with the Surge? I have not seen a compelling reason yet...
    GPS is the only reason i see between hr charge and surge.
  • beachbum13
    Options
    hasto183 wrote: »
    G'day,
    I am looking at the Fitbit Charge HR as my next tracker but I am being a little put off by the 1 ATM ability. Does anyone know if you have to be super protective of the device, and how much water is too much before it gets killed off, meaning, will showering with it on be detrimental or okay. I really want a tracker that'll negate the need for a HR Strap.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Gav

Sweat primarily. You should not shower with it, is my understanding.
  • beachbum13
    Options
    this in on their site:
    Water Resistance
    Charge HR is sweat, rain and splash proof. However, the device is not swim proof or showerproof. With any wearable device, it’s best for your skin if the band stays dry and clean.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Also wanting to purchase Fitbit Charge HR... so far not available yet! Is that right? Has anyone got one yet?
  • beachbum13
    Options
    I did. It is available earlier this week. It is on back order too.
  • joanheyrman
    joanheyrman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just received it yesterday. I'm wearing it for the first time today and also wearing fitbit one to compare steps. 16000 steps on Charge HR and 13250 on Fitbit One. 6 flights of steps on One and 12 on Charge HR. Im going to wear both for awhile and compare. I don't want to think I'm getting steps I'm not getting.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I just received it yesterday. I'm wearing it for the first time today and also wearing fitbit one to compare steps. 16000 steps on Charge HR and 13250 on Fitbit One. 6 flights of steps on One and 12 on Charge HR. Im going to wear both for awhile and compare. I don't want to think I'm getting steps I'm not getting.

Are you wearing it on your non-dominant wrist but have it set to dominant wrist? I have a Flex (really want a Charge HR) and the step count that way was pretty consistent with my One.
  • clathrop17
    clathrop17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Yes, it tracks your calories burned all day even during exercise. It is the most accurate way to track burned calories because it considers your heart rate. The higher you get your heart rate the more calories you're burning. Much more accurate than plugging in the duration of exercise into MFP. I got the charge HR yesterday and love it so far. I didn't get the surge bc it's bulkier.
  • clathrop17
    clathrop17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    12dream wrote: »
    Also wanting to purchase Fitbit Charge HR... so far not available yet! Is that right? Has anyone got one yet?

I bought mine from Fitbit.com it came in the mail yesterday :)
  • beachbum13
    Options
    clathrop17 wrote: »
    12dream wrote: »

I bought mine from Fitbit.com it came in the mail yesterday :)

How long did it take to arrive? has backorder indicated on web.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine (large, plum) on Tuesday when it was first released. It won't ship for 6-8 weeks :( It's my first activity tracker and I'm so excited to use it!!
  • beachbum13
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »
    I ordered mine (large, plum) on Tuesday when it was first released. It won't ship for 6-8 weeks :( It's my first activity tracker and I'm so excited to use it!!

The plum looks soo nice, but i couldnt wait and went with basic black :|
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

The correlation between HR and calorie burn that even allows a formula is ONLY for steady-state aerobic exercise - same HR for 2-4 min.

Weight lifting is neither steady-state nor aerobic (if done correctly), and calisthenics is not steady-state even if aerobic.
    So both will result in formula giving inflated calorie burn. By how much is totally known and person specific.
    The amount of inflation depends on fitness level.

Next time you are on the treadmill with HRM, watch that HR, and from a slow jog, increase your speed by 1 mph, and watch the HR.
    If very fit, the lag time before it starts increasing may be a tad long, if unfit, it'll jump up fast.
    In either case, after some minutes at higher level, it'll also drop a tad down to the actual level needed for that level of effort. So for some period of time it was inflated over what was really needed.
    Now lower the speed by 1 mph, and see how long it takes to lower back down.
    If fit, it'll drop fast and back to prior level at that speed. If unfit, it may take awhile and may never lower back down to HR that was required before.

All that shows that HR is not exactly tied to level of effort, and level of effort means calorie burn.

Ultimate example is stop running and stand there. Whole time your HR is dropping it's obviously inflated badly for the actual level of effort - standing.
  • jwebb33
    Options
    Just got my Charge HR in the mail yesterday! It's my first fitbit!