Calorie Adjustment--Please Help

Options
DaniJeanine
DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
Hi All,

I am new to my Fitbit Flex and I'm really confused about the Fitbit calorie adjustment related to MFP. Little background: I enabled negative calorie adjustments and I recently upped my activity to "Lightly Active". I'm 5'2" and 119-120 lbs--looking to drop a few to get back down to my "happy weight" of 114. I've never logged steps before this. Here are my questions:

I see some people saying to set your activity to "sedentary". Others say that sedentary adds too much at the end of the day, and "lightly active" will give a more conservative number. When I tried sedentary, my positive calorie adjustment was through the roof--I mean, Fitbit added 500 calories for a day that I went to work (I'm a teacher) and then studied for a final exam on my couch all night. A typical hour long cardio workout measured my an HRM isn't even 500 calories for me! There's NO WAY I burned off 500 extra calories for what could be considered an inactive day.

So how do I know what to trust? I'm very worried that Fitbit will add too many calories back, even with the "lightly active" setting. Can someone explain to me how this works? I've read some of the other posts, but sadly, I'm still worrie/confused about it. Especially when I keep thinking to myself "Before Fitbit I didn't add a thing for steps, now I'm supposed to trust added hundreds of calories for a day with no formal exercise?"

Thanks so much.

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what your setting is. While it will change your Fitbit adjustment, it won't change your calorie goal.

Let's say that MFP estimates that you'll burn 1,800 calories per day at sedentary and 2,000 calories per day at lightly active, and you have a deficit setting of 500 calories per day (on both MFP and Fitbit, it's important that they're the same). Let's also say on an example day Fitbit estimates at the end of the day you've burned 1,900 calories, meaning that you should eat 1,400 calories that day to reach your goal of a 500 calorie deficit. If you have MFP set to sedentary, then your base calorie goal would be 1,300 and you would get a 100 calorie positive adjustment to get to 1,400. If you had it at lightly active, your base calorie goal would be 1,500 and you would get a 100 calorie negative adjustment to reach 1,400. Ultimately, your MFP settings aren't going to impact what Fitbit thinks you burn, it just impacts your starting point.

If you have MFP at sedentary and you're earning 500 calories from Fitbit on an average day, I'd personally argue that it's far more likely that you're NOT sedentary (especially as a teacher, teachers are on their feet all day), rather than that Fitbit is wrong. However, what Fitbit gives you as a daily calorie burn is still just an estimate. It's a better estimate than a blind "one-size-fits-all-days" activity level setting, but still just an estimate. The only way to know for sure is to use it for several weeks and compare your actual weight change to what you would have expected comparing your Fitbit burns to the food that you (hopefully accurately) logged. You can then adjust from there and eat slightly more or less.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Barbie is correct, Fitbit calculates how many calories you are burning, based off how many steps you take in a day - that has nothing to do with what 'activity level' you set on MFP - that number would be the same if you weren't using MFP at all.

When you set an activity level on MFP, MFP decides how many calories they think you will burn at that level. Then, Fitbit pushes over how many calories you've actually burned, and you get your adjustment.

Your calorie goal for the day is dependent on what you have MFP set to as far as how much you want to lose per week. A 1 lb weight loss per week is equal to a 500 calorie deficit per day. Since you only have 5 lbs to lose, a 1lb loss per week is much too high, so I hope you have it set to 1/2lb per week, which would equal a 250 calorie deficit per day.

So for example, let's say you are using a 250 calorie deficit, and have MFP set to Sedentary. Let's say MFP thinks you're going to burn 1800 calories at that level (this is your EXPECTED TDEE), then MFP is going to start your day with a 1550 calorie goal. (1800 minus 250).

Now, let's say Fitbit calculates you've actually burned 2200 calories for the day (this is your ACTUAL TDEE). So you're going to get a calorie adjustment of +400 calories on your TDEE (2200-1800), which will also increase your eating goal by the same number, so now you've got 1950 calories for the day. Remember that number. 1950.

Now, you change your activity level on MFP to Lightly Active - which is going to increase what MFP sets as your EXPECTED TDEE - let's say that number is now 2100 calories. MFP will then give you a calorie goal for the day of 1850 (2100 minus 250 deficit).

Now Fitbit still calculates you've burned 2200 calories for the day (again, ACTUAL TDEE), so it's going to push that over to MFP and give you a calorie adjustment of 100 calories (2200-2100), increasing your eating goal by the same number, giving you a calorie goal for the day of 1950 (2200 minutes 250 deficit). As you can see - you've still reached the same calorie goal of 1950 calories for the day, regardless of which activity level you set on MFP.

HOWEVER, with all that being said, you shouldn't have such a large positive calorie adjustment coming over. If you do, that means that you should set your activity level on MFP even higher, so that the two TDEES will be closer at the beginning of the day - giving you a more realistic calorie goal throughout the day. It's not that you "burned off an extra 500 calories by going to work and sitting on the couch all day". You burned off 500 more calories than MFP EXPECTED you to burn off - meaning, your activity level on MFP is set to low.

Sorry that was so long, really wanted to explain as clearly as I could.

Just wanted to add, I have mine set to sedentary and I almost always get a NEGATIVE calorie adjustment - I actually burn about 120 calories per day LESS than what MFP thinks I should burn, according to my Fitbit.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the comprehensive and thoughtful responses!!! Today is the first full day I have it set to "lightly actively" and after 3375 steps so far, it added only 3 calories, which makes sense seeing that all I've done was wake up and go to work! Hopefully this trend will continue. And maybe I will change the goal to .5 per week--1 lb sets me at 1200 a day which is pretty tough to meet. I just have to buy into the fact that more calories isn't always a bad thing!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, it doesn't matter at all what Fitbit weight loss goals are set at.

The ONLY thing that Fitbit reports to MFP is total daily calorie burn (and steps for the logging), no math is done on that figure from the weight loss goals setup on Fitbit.
    Only if you were attempting to follow 2 roads to the same destination would it matter if they are setup the same, and that's just asking for headache anyway.

To add a couple reasons why it is better to NOT just use sedentary all the time, especially when big adjustments on your non-exercise days prove you are not.

MFP bases your eating level from it's estimated maintenance level (without exercise). So you might say non-exercise TDEE. If you do exercise, it doesn't include it until you log it, so it's always non-exercise TDEE.
    Say 2000 less 1000 cal deficit, because 2 lbs weekly is reasonable for now.
    2000 - 1000 =1000

Oh, wait, MFP stops at 1200, so really only an 800 calorie goal.

Lets say you are not sedentary though outside exercise, but a nurse. So you get 400-600 Fitbit calorie adjustments daily with no exercise being done.

You'd think MFP maintenance 2000 + 500 = 2500 less the 1000 cal deficit = 1500 eating level.

But no, the 1200 has already been established. So this is what really happens.

Fitbit reported 2500 - 2000 MFP estimated = 500 calorie adjustment.

Eating goal 1200 + 500 = 1700 eating goal. Still an 800 cal deficit.

But if you selected Lightly Active as more honest, the following would happen.

MFP 2240 estimated - 1000 deficit = 1240 eating goal.
    Fitbit 2500 - 2240 = 260 calorie adjustment
    1240 + 260 = 1500 eating goal. Same 1000 calorie deficit. Daily.

Plus, what's easier to plan the day around, an expected 1240 eating goal plus maybe another 200-300 sometimes.
    Or 1200 eating goal with 400-600 adjustments.

Planning is so needed for success, might as well plan the best you can, with best figures you can.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So to clarify if I have an adjustment of 500-600 coming over from Fitbit on a normal day, and a frightening 1,000 after my most recent gym visit, I'm at a pretty good level?

Very new to FitBit and even newer to using it with MFP, but geek that I am, I want to get the most out of the new toy! (The detailed posts in this thread are great! Thank you everyone. :) )
  • heybales
    Options
    If you get 500-600 on non-exercise day, you selected the wrong MFP activity level.

If at Sedentary, Lightly Active won't even be enough. You really want the smallest adjustments as possible on non-exercise days, so you can plan eating better.

Failure to plan well is failure. Think about all the times you or others talk about going over goal for a day, usually poor planning is root cause.
    Well, failure to reach goals is just as bad.

A goal is something to attempt to reach, not avoid by as much as possible. So best estimate of eating goal on daily basis before exercise is thrown in the mix, the better.
  • dragon1ady
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I completely agree on planning and the importance of meeting goals, not constantly under-shooting them. Discovering late in the evening that I am 600 calories short of my daily goal is not my idea of a successful health/fitness plan!

What has me thrown off is, what exactly is MFP's definition of sedentary, if my typical non-exercise day doesn't fit it?

My typical non-exercise day:
    • Get up, walk the dog for 20-30 minutes.
    • Go to work
    • Sit at my desk and type almost 9 hours straight. I occasionally get up and walk over to other people's desks, or into conference rooms where I sit down again for a meeting, but it's very much a sit-down job. At various points during my work day I eat lunch and small snacks.
    • Go home.
    • Play with the dog for 10 minutes or so (if not, the Sad Puppy Eyes attack)
    • Have dinner.
    • Spend the rest of the evening sitting comfortably while I read, or watch movies, or play video games.

Yes, that is what gives me a 500-600 adjustment when MFP and FitBit are synched. I thought that was sedentary...?

I stayed at my desk a lot more than normal today (busy days have that side-effect), but I still have an adjustment of over 340 calories, and it's barely 6:00 PM. If my habit of getting up once an hour during my workday to walk around for a few minutes is all it takes to get my activity level up above Lightly Active--remember a normal day for me is a 500-600 calorie adjustment--then MFPs definitions of the various activity levels are very far from mine!

Are the MFP definitions available anywhere so I can look at them and pick the one that best fits my day?
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    dragon1ady wrote: »
    I completely agree on planning and the importance of meeting goals, not constantly under-shooting them. Discovering late in the evening that I am 600 calories short of my daily goal is not my idea of a successful health/fitness plan!

What has me thrown off is, what exactly is MFP's definition of sedentary, if my typical non-exercise day doesn't fit it?

• Go to work
    • Sit at my desk and type almost 9 hours straight. I occasionally get up and walk over to other people's desks, or into conference rooms where I sit down again for a meeting, but it's very much a sit-down job. At various points during my work day I eat lunch and small snacks.
    • Go home.
    • Have dinner.
    • Spend the rest of the evening sitting comfortably while I read, or watch movies, or play video games.

Yes, that is what gives me a 500-600 adjustment when MFP and FitBit are synched. I thought that was sedentary...?

I stayed at my desk a lot more than normal today (busy days have that side-effect), but I still have an adjustment of over 340 calories, and it's barely 6:00 PM. If my habit of getting up once an hour during my workday to walk around for a few minutes is all it takes to get my activity level up above Lightly Active--remember a normal day for me is a 500-600 calorie adjustment--then MFPs definitions of the various activity levels are very far from mine!

Are the MFP definitions available anywhere so I can look at them and pick the one that best fits my day?
    I agree that your day is mostly sedentary, BUT you are getting in 40 mins of physical activity per day. I don't have a dog and my day looks much like yours. I have have a slight or negative adjustment at the end of the day depending on what else I ddd that day.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    The dog walking is such a part of my routine that I just do it without thinking about it, which probably is why I never thought of it as physical activity. Thanks for pointing that out!

I'll adjust my MFP profile to Lightly Active and see if the big discrepancy between MFP and Fitbit goes away.
  • Aftonyeo
    Options
    I want to stop fitbit from adjusting my calories period. I eat 1900 regardless of activity level (as per the program I am following). How do I stop fitbit from syncing my activity and changing my calorie goals?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Either delete your adjustments every day or disconnect your accounts
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    disconnect your accounts

And manually add your steps the next day. That way you'll know how much you ate (too much/not enough) without changing it throughout the day.
  • heybales
    Options
    Aftonyeo wrote: »
    I want to stop fitbit from adjusting my calories period. I eat 1900 regardless of activity level (as per the program I am following). How do I stop fitbit from syncing my activity and changing my calorie goals?

So you aren't using it to help you eat at a good diet plan then, you want it for perhaps the activity motivation.

Then why do you need it synced anyway then. MFP is the eating goals mostly, you already know how much you want to eat no matter how much you burn, so just use Fitbit's site and graphs and goals for your step based stuff you must want it for.

I can't think of any other reason to even use it if not for activity goals to reach, or helping with the eating side of the diet.
  • heybales
    Options
    dragon1ady wrote: »

• Go to work
    • Go home.
    • Have dinner.

Here is what sedentary has in it based on most people's resting calorie burn.
    Weekly - 45 hr work/drive sitting, 56 hr sleeping, 60 hr sitting/standing, 7 hr slow walking

Divide that by your days, you'll see it's very sedentary.

MFP describes it when you select Activity level. And they changed it last year based on some new research showing that when people do have active jobs, they burn even more.
    So MFP is really trying to keep up at least on that aspect.

Compare that to most other sites using the rough 5 level TDEE charts which include exercise, but don't factor in busy work days. That's from 1919 study and never been updated.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am confused by all this too! I THINK my lightly active level is close to what I really do but not everyday. SO I thought I would start with Sedentary, and then let the calories add themselves. I am a slug on my days off!!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Here is what sedentary has in it based on most people's resting calorie burn.
    Weekly - 45 hr work/drive sitting, 56 hr sleeping, 60 hr sitting/standing, 7 hr slow walking

Divide that by your days, you'll see it's very sedentary.

MFP describes it when you select Activity level. And they changed it last year based on some new research showing that when people do have active jobs, they burn even more.
    So MFP is really trying to keep up at least on that aspect.

Compare that to most other sites using the rough 5 level TDEE charts which include exercise, but don't factor in busy work days. That's from 1919 study and never been updated.

What threw me off is that MFP says Lightly Active is "Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)" and that's very far from what I do. That said, adjusting my activity level (to LA) based on what's been revealed in this thread has in crashed my MFP total with 350, which is a lot closer to FitBit's numbers, so I am definitely on the right track. I suspect this will require some trial and error, but it's definitely working much smoother already.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I have been experimenting.

After switching my MFP account to Lightly Active I still had a large calorie adjustment at the end of each day, so I stopped logging my dog activities, as well as any other activity. With no exercise logged at all, I still find myself with a 250-300 calorie adjustment each day. Should I adjust my MFP account again, or would I be better off keeping my Flex on my non-dominant hand while changing that setting to "dominant"?

The OCD side of my personality is really bothered by how difficult it is to make this run smoothly...
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh, you shouldn't be logging walking the dog. That's walking, and Fitbit is giving you best estimate already for that.
    Now, if you walked dogs as a job pulling back 10-15 dogs for 8 hrs daily, yes the Fitbit is going to be badly underestimating.
    But you walk them for 20-30 min - close enough even if it's missing extra burn from holding dog back, if you even do.

You ONLY need to log non-step based exercise - swimming should be obvious, biking, rowing, lifting, elliptical, ect.

So don't skip stuff you should log.

And I told you that you were no where near sedentary, I didn't think with your daily activity lightly active was right either - and it's obviously not.
    Perhaps you have been motivated by the device to get up a tad more and more more often.

Don't even mess with the arm changes and settings UNLESS you have proof there is an issue. Because that only effects step count.
    Since calories is based on steps - is the steps correct?

Shouldn't be hard. As you are walking look at step stat at some point.
    Count 50 right foot steps.
    Look again at step stat, should be 100 higher or abouts. 10 either direction is great, within 10%, and not enough calories to worry about.

Not really difficult, you could just keep having huge adjustments and learn to plan on how to eat to them.
    Getting the activity level right just allows better planning, which should fit in with OCD better. ;-)
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    In that case, MFP's activity levels are very poorly defined and labeled. After yet another day of not logging any activity at all and finding my adjustment to be about 270 calories, I have changed my account to Active. According to MFP, that means I "Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)"

I have worked as a waitress in the past. It is FAR more active than my current job. I am very confused about where these definitions come from... oh well. All gadgets have a learning curve, I shouldn't expect the Fitbit to be any different. :)

I'm losing weight, so I must be doing something right.
  • 3girlmommy
    3girlmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Just for clarification, it doesn't matter at all what Fitbit weight loss goals are set at.

The ONLY thing that Fitbit reports to MFP is total daily calorie burn (and steps for the logging), no math is done on that figure from the weight loss goals setup on Fitbit.
    Only if you were attempting to follow 2 roads to the same destination would it matter if they are setup the same, and that's just asking for headache anyway.

To add a couple reasons why it is better to NOT just use sedentary all the time, especially when big adjustments on your non-exercise days prove you are not.

MFP bases your eating level from it's estimated maintenance level (without exercise). So you might say non-exercise TDEE. If you do exercise, it doesn't include it until you log it, so it's always non-exercise TDEE.
    Say 2000 less 1000 cal deficit, because 2 lbs weekly is reasonable for now.
    2000 - 1000 =1000

Oh, wait, MFP stops at 1200, so really only an 800 calorie goal.

Lets say you are not sedentary though outside exercise, but a nurse. So you get 400-600 Fitbit calorie adjustments daily with no exercise being done.

You'd think MFP maintenance 2000 + 500 = 2500 less the 1000 cal deficit = 1500 eating level.

But no, the 1200 has already been established. So this is what really happens.

Fitbit reported 2500 - 2000 MFP estimated = 500 calorie adjustment.

Eating goal 1200 + 500 = 1700 eating goal. Still an 800 cal deficit.

But if you selected Lightly Active as more honest, the following would happen.

MFP 2240 estimated - 1000 deficit = 1240 eating goal.
    Fitbit 2500 - 2240 = 260 calorie adjustment
    1240 + 260 = 1500 eating goal. Same 1000 calorie deficit. Daily.

Plus, what's easier to plan the day around, an expected 1240 eating goal plus maybe another 200-300 sometimes.
    Or 1200 eating goal with 400-600 adjustments.

Planning is so needed for success, might as well plan the best you can, with best figures you can.

I've read so many posts that I'm giving myself a headache and I just want to make sure I'm using my Charge HR and MFP correctly......so here goes, I have my Fitbit set @ sedentary so that I can earn calories thru the day. I have MFP set at sedentary based on the fact that I have a desk job from 8-430. I drive an hour back and forth to work...more sitting, go home, make dinner, do chores, etc. Another reason I had it set it at sedentary was so that when I worked out (prior to having the HR) I would only earn extra calories after logging activities and therefore I knew I actually earned those calories and I would eat those back. Now enter the new Charge HR...I have the 2 apps synced. I enabled the negative adjustment feature on MFP as I read on one of these many posts to do. My TDEE 1607, have my setting is to lose .5/wk, looking to lose 10 lbs (@140 5'6'' now). My daily calorie goal is 1366 with no exercise. It's around noon and I have a fitbit adjustment of 250 cals. When I look under the "i" I see a fitbit calories burned fullday projection of 1900 and MFP estimated cal burn of 1650. Do I really want to eat those calories...knowing I haven't really done any "exercise"? It's hard for me to wrap my head around that knowing prior to the HR I would have only earned calories based on the exercises I entered manually. Also, is my way of thinking of starting with sedentary and eating back calories as they are earned the wrong way to look at things? I don't always do this same ol' routine, drive to work, work, drive home, do light chores and sleep, often I walk at lunch and work out at home after work that's why I liked having the lower setting (sedentary) for my not so active days and then the days I am active I know I've truly worked hard to earn those extra calories.

Thanks in advance for your help....